1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Civ2] Terminator Future War scenario

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by Blake00, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

Another interesting find in my final searches for the scenario treasure hunt & video series, a Terminator Future War scenario!

Just like the cool Deadworld modpack I recently posted about finding, this is another 1997 file in the Apolyton file archives for their predecessor site The Ultimate Civilization 2 Site that I've not see anywhere else. It's archived download is here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/19980421024425/http://civ2.gamestats.com/modpacks/terminat.zip

A scenario set in the Skynet triggered apocalypse future is such a cool idea (I'm surprise there aren't more Terminator scenarios for Civ2 out there considering how many other franchises have been covered), especially as it's been made as a world wide surviving human nations versus Skynet scenario so hat's off to it's creator Paul Heron. However this must have been one of his earliest projects as while he went on to do some pretty cool total conversion scenarios in later years you can see clear as day in the screenshot below that this scenario is let down by a lack of custom terrain.

I can see that Paul brought across the terrain1.gif file from the old Microprose Apocalypse scenario which didn't really change much other than the desert, plains & pollution cells. Curiously he didn't take their terrain2.gif file which changed all the forests to burnt out versions which would have helped a lot lol!

Once again I don't have time to take on another whole scenario remaster project but I reckon with only 1-2 hours I can massively improve this (just for fun).. I'm thinking replace the forests, swamps and jungles with burned out stuff, darken everything to give a night feel (just like the future war sequences in Terminator films), and also grey/ash out everything to give that nuclear winter feel too. I bet I can find a way better custom ruined city design too. I'll go have a play... :)

Image1.png

2. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

Here we go.. not too bad for 2 hours work lol.

I took the burnt forests from the Apocalypse scenario, darker swamp from Eivind’s Colonialism scenario, and replaced the jungle with the rotting swamp (as it looks kinda burnt) from Test of Time. Used some old paint shop pro 7 darkness and moonlight filters on all terrain and then converted back to Civ2's colour palette. Also played around with a few of the units to make them darker and fit in better (eg ships). Replaced the default modern cities with some eerie ones called ‘Dark Metropolis’ from Harlan Tompsons city collection but grayed our their big brown walls. Also applied the darkening and moonlight to the cities file to ensure faction colours, flags, and fortifications don't look too bright against the night world. Replaced the dimond/cell flashing selector cursor with the MOO Jr scanning one as it fits a terminator scenario perfectly haha.

Looks more like that post apocalypse ash covered night world now that we loved seeing in the films. No doubt someone could convert it to ToT and do even more amazing things but I'm happy with this..

Might fix up his sound files too as he made some cool ones but only allocated them to like 3 units resulting in most making default civ2 ancient world (eg sword fighting) sounds still. Then I can call it a day on this 'mini project' lol.

Image2.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021 at 6:19 AM
  3. Genesis21

Genesis21 Chieftain

Looks nice! Any link to dl the reworked version?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021 at 6:54 AM
  4. Blake00

Blake00 King Supporter

Ah right yes, I forgot about this lol! I finished the sound fixes.. will do some finishing touches, slap the files together and stick it online this weekend!

5. Genesis21

Genesis21 Chieftain

Ok, can't wait!