[Civ2] Terminator Future War scenario

Blake00

CFC Mod Archivist & Social Media Helper
Supporter
Another interesting find in my final searches for the scenario treasure hunt & video series, a Terminator Future War scenario!

Just like the cool Deadworld modpack I recently posted about finding, this is another 1997 file in the Apolyton file archives for their predecessor site The Ultimate Civilization 2 Site that I've not see anywhere else.
I've now preserved the original scenario to here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/terminator-future-war-scenario-cic.29448/

A scenario set in the Skynet triggered apocalypse future is such a cool idea (I'm surprised there aren't more Terminator scenarios for Civ2 out there considering how many other franchises have been covered), especially as it's been made as a world wide surviving human nations versus Skynet scenario using extra information from the comic books so hat's off to it's creator Paul Heron. However this must have been one of his earliest projects as while he went on to do some pretty cool total conversion scenarios in later years you can see clear as day in the screenshot below that this scenario is let down by a lack of custom terrain.

I can see that Paul brought across the terrain1.gif file from the old Microprose Apocalypse scenario which didn't really change much other than the desert, plains & pollution cells. Curiously he didn't take their terrain2.gif file which changed all the forests to burnt out versions which would have helped a lot lol!

Once again I don't have time to take on another whole scenario remaster project but I reckon with only 1-2 hours I can massively improve this (just for fun).. I'm thinking replace the forests, swamps and jungles with burned out stuff, darken everything to give a night feel (just like the future war sequences in Terminator films), and also grey/ash out everything to give that nuclear winter feel too. I bet I can find a way better custom ruined city design too. I'll go have a play... :)

Image1.png

Last edited:
Here we go.. not too bad for 2 hours work lol.

I took the burnt forests from the Microprose Apocalypse scenario, darker swamp from Eivind’s Colonialism scenario, and replaced the jungle with the rotting swamp (as it looks kinda burnt) from Test of Time. Used some old paint shop pro 7 darkness and moonlight filters on all terrain and then converted back to Civ2's colour palette. Also played around with a few of the units to make them darker and fit in better (eg ships). Replaced the default modern cities with some eerie ones called ‘Dark Metropolis’ from Harlan Thompson's city collection but grayed our their big brown walls. Also applied the darkening and moonlight to the cities file to ensure faction colours, flags, and fortifications don't look too bright against the night world. Replaced the diamond/cell flashing selector cursor with the MOO Jr scanning one as it fits a terminator scenario perfectly haha.

Looks more like that post apocalypse ash covered night world now that we loved seeing in the films. No doubt someone could convert it to ToT and do even more amazing things but I'm happy with this..

Might fix up his sound files too as he made some cool ones but only allocated them to like 3 units resulting in most making default civ2 ancient world (eg sword fighting) sounds still. Then I can call it a day on this 'mini project' lol.

Image2.png

Last edited:
Looks nice! Any link to dl the reworked version?

Last edited:
Finished! Since I got some unexpected interest in the project haha I put some more work in to it...
  • Brought the full GUI (with the green scanning lines) over from my Command & Conquer Africa Remaster scenario
  • Replaced the city background using the Terminator 3 nightmare sequence
  • Changed people and resource icons to Test of Time scifi ones.
  • Added a few more custom wonders to Paul's existing ones and replaced all their icons with photos from the films and also recycled a couple from my Red Alert 2 scenario. Left regular buildings as they are but applied darkness and moonlight filters to them to fit in better.
  • Replaced technology icons with photos from the films.
  • Added some more custom sound files as Paul only had 2 so using them on all units would be annoying. I added some minigun sounds for some units and also the dog barking and attacking sounds from Red Alert 2.
  • Created music folder and put in a Terminator midi (just for fun).
  • Converted part of Terminator midi to scenario intro sound wav file.
  • Added shortcuts to HD Terminator 2 Intro and Terminator 3 Nightmare scene videos on Youtube to set the scene (just for fun).
DISCLAIMERS:
  • I have NOT overhauled Paul’s original units as they’re not too bad and doing custom units takes ages (hence why my other mods have taken so long) so I can’t be bothered to be honest lol!
  • I have also NOT touched any of Paul’s rules, events or settings so if there’s some bug or nasty unit imbalance in his original work then it is STILL there sorry!

I'll do a bigger public release later on with tour video extra but for now I'll attach the scenario to this post!

STerminator2.png

STerminator2.png
17/07/2023 Replaced download at 231 hits. Updated with better documentation.

Attachments

• TerminatorRem.7z
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Top Bottom