Terra Incognita should be black!

mogilan

Chieftain
Hi all,

am I the only one who thinks there is too much brown on the map? When I watch gameplays I sometimes struggle to distinguish which part of the land has been already discovered and what still remains unknown. Using the same color palette for Terra Incognita and fog of war was not a very good idea.

Do you think it will be moddable? Or there will be an option to turn off this 'map' texture for undiscovered world?

In CIV I > CIV 4 Terra Incognita was black and it was perfect. What is unknown should be black, like space. Its logical, and intuitive. And perfectly contrast with colors of the known world.

Agree. What bothers me most is that the land that you've already scouted goes back to this map-stylized color when you move from it

Hi all,

am I the only one who thinks there is too much brown on the map? When I watch gameplays I sometimes struggle to distinguish which part of the land has been already discovered and what still remains unknown. Using the same color palette for Terra Incognita and fog of war was not a very good idea.

I agree.

In CIV I > CIV 4 Terra Incognita was black and it was perfect. What is unknown should be black, like space. Its logical, and intuitive. And perfectly contrast with colors of the known world.

I disagree. Although I liked the black in Civ 4, it wouldn't work here at all. They just need to tweak the colors a bit to better distinguish between the two.

I love the hand drawn map look to everything that you don't have direct sight of, I think it's stunning :love:

...but maybe they should make Terra Incognita a slightly different shade to help distinguish it from fog of war. Maybe slightly paler, like new parchment yet to be creased and coloured by the sun

It is possible to tell the difference and I'm sure after a bit of time with it, you won't even think about it. And I think it looks gorgeous.

I mean, looking at these images (which I picked more-or-less randomly from the first YT video I found)

Spoiler :

I think it's pretty obvious which parts have been explored and which haven't.

It is possible to tell the difference and I'm sure after a bit of time with it, you won't even think about it. And I think it looks gorgeous.

I mean, looking at this image:

Spoiler :

I think it's pretty obvious which parts have been explored and which haven't.

Honestly, your screenshot just confirmed my opinion :) When I look at it I'm not 100% sure if this small piece of land is an island or not :) as the vast brown area around could just represent ocean.

And I love black as this color usually represents "the unknown" and holds kind of ... mystery. It's just perfect for 4x games which includes the exploration part.

But I agree that map texture is very pretty but I'd love to see more contrast between FOW and TI.

Agree. What bothers me most is that the land that you've already scouted goes back to this map-stylized color when you move from it

Yes, I agree. It looks strange. The colors are switching back and forth for big chunks of the map during movement. It's distracting...

I don't know. I had problems in the beginning, but over the last weeks and with more and more videos, I don't have any problems distinguishing unexplored terrain and terrain under the fog of war anymore.

Don't have this problem at all... I have never seen a better terra incognita / fog of war solution as in Civ 6. Unique, fresh, pretty and yet very clear and useful.

Honestly, your screenshot just confirmed my opinion :) When I look at it I'm not 100% sure if this small piece of land is an island or not :) as the vast brown area around could just represent ocean.

Discovered ocean in the fog of war is blue, it's pretty obvious:

Spoiler :

Like I said, after half an hour with the game you won't give it a second thought.

Yeah, the ocean stands out really well.

I agree with mogilan. A bigger color difference between FOW and TI would make it easier to see. Maybe it hasn't to be pure black though. A darker brown could do the job as well.

I like it the way it is. Some of the videos have stated that playing the game has changed their attitude on the map. Maybe wait to play...

Yeah, that's terribly ugly, too. Not as terrible because MSPaint didn't play a role in creating it, but certainly terribly ugly.

As ugly as this?:

Spoiler :
... What in the name of Iupiter did those Romans do with the brightness factor. The utter horror.

Really, have two more normal pictures:

Spoiler :

Top Bottom