1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terra map

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kark, May 29, 2013.

1. Kark

Kark Mad berserker

Maybe I'm stupid, but I can't find out how to play a terra map in Civ V.

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Go to advanced options when you are setting up your game. The main game set-up screen only gives you 5 or 6 of the 25-30 or so available map options. Advanced options also allows you to tinker with other map options (sea level, temperature, etc.)

3. jonpfl

jonpfl Prince

Once you tinker with these settings (by setting to random), how do you find out in game what those settings are?

Also, any idea where I can read about the different map types?

Thx
    jonpfl

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Hmm, not sure on either point. I don't put them on random myself.

5. Hengoroth

Hengoroth Chieftain

You camn find out about the settings by having an Android phone/laptop/alt-tabling and logging into civfanatics while you do. Nowhere else will you find help as good

6. The QC

The QC Quietly Confident

I think you can see some stuff in the pause menu and in the save/load menu. The map type is certainly visible there when you play with a predefined map type. I don't know what it shows when you select Random (maybe it's designed to preserve the surprise?).

The map types are awfully undocumented, unfortunately. It seems that the forum at large has some wisdom gathered about them, but I don't know if it's centralized anywhere.

What I know from the less used ones:
    - Oval: a more complex shaped Pangaea, with more use for water (due to the jagged edges and sometimes deep bays)
    - Fractal - it's basically Continents with more unpredictably shaped continents (which I think is a good thing)
    - Continents & Pangaea Plus: different from the original by having much more islands; sadly, by default they spawn the CSs on islands, diminishing the interest of both the islands and the CSs. Can be edited to remove this behavior and in fact the edited Continents Plus is my favorite map type right now (but you need the 'bravery' to do this manually).

7. Carmack

Carmack Chieftain

If you play terra, particularly on large or huge, be sure to add a couple extra civs or definitely add some more city-states for the new world. Terra maps are larger than their comparative cousins and I've had incidents where there new world was almost empty, other than barbarians.

8. The QC

The QC Quietly Confident

Terra needs to be larger, because the Old World contains all the civs in the game. Even so, the Old World tends to be cramped and conflict prone as a result. Which makes the New World more tempting, I guess. But I agree the New World has a tendency to feel empty and somehow uninteresting.