Terra map

zxcvbob

Emperor
I haven't played many games with Spain, and I have never tried the Terra map before. They seem made for each other. So I started one; large map, epic pace, strategic balance resources, no goody huts, raging barbs. My plan was to settle just a couple of core cities on the old continent, then at Astronomy I would send conquistadors out to find the New World and colonize it.

(I thought conquistadors had extra sight when embarked like a marine but they don't, they are terrible at exploring the oceans because they can't see where they're going, but are awesome following behind caravels; they don't have to keep up with the caravels because they defend well on the water)

Astronomy and Chivalry is a long time to wait before founding new cities. I've found good locations on other continents, but none that are really awesome. The best sites are not coastal, so there'd be no city connection unless I settle a not-so-great harbor city too. So I've just been meeting CS's and killing barbs for them, and finding natural wonders for the 500 gold. I feel that if I settle a new city this late it will just slow my science and culture down too much. So I've started warmongering back home pretending it's a pangaea, funded by all the gold I'm getting from exploring. Am I doing it wrong? I think I could probably sweep the continent soon (just starting to build Tercios and will have cannons soon.) And the culture from killing barbs may not be gamechanging but it is significant.

The experience you describe, this particular UA being useless or even counterproductive, is one that I have seen echo'd before. The UA is only really good for role play. I have tried Spain at Deity on a couple Terra maps and late settles were not of any utility. OTOH, if you limit your late cities to founding on Natural Wonders, those are kind of fun and nice change of pace. FWIW, Polynesia on Terra can actually be OP.

Top Bottom