1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terraforming marsh in RFC?

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by Beyondtheocean, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Beyondtheocean

Beyondtheocean Chieftain

I understand the marshes in Rhye's and Fall of Civilization were added for realism, but I don't like to be stuck with them the whole game.
    In the real world most of the marshes were turned into farmland (grassland?) at some time. In my part of the world mostly in the 19th and early 20th century.

Is this already possible with an existing mod? And if not.... does anyone know how to make this work? (I have no programming knowledge)

2. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

I'd like to second this. Allow Marsh-clearing after a certain technology, that'll turn even Helsinki (Finnish capital) into profitable city site.

3. 3Miro

3Miro Chieftain

Can you guys find an example of a marsh that has been terraformed.

4. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Chieftain

I only have to walk a mile to see that happening, because at the moment they are building a new citydistrict in a former marsh:). Since the 13th century, the Dutch have been clearing marshes, up to 1000 square kilometers in the 17th century. However, I can't think of other evident examples.

5. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

England early 17th.C. The Cambridgshire Fens (100's of sq. miles of marshes) completely drained and dried out by Flemish and Dutch engineers. Since then some of the richest farmland in Britain.

6. Beyondtheocean

Beyondtheocean Chieftain

And I live in an area pretty close to Wessel V1, the Peel region in the south-east Netherlands. A good example of late (industrial age) marsh draining.

7. SadoMacho

SadoMacho spanker of civilizations

I live in Flanders, and we did the same, but not as to the extend the Dutch did it. The region I live in called "Waasland" and this refers to swampland. Currently there are now more swamps in the region anymore. The terraforming was done during the middle ages. The first town in my region was called Waasmunster meaning "Monastery in the Swamp". Also the old Flemish name for Brussels is Broekzele, meaning "stone hall in the swamp", but no more currently.

So a lot of medieaval terraforming in the Low Lands.

8. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

Given that the purpose of marsh is to prevent development, making it removable would have mid- or late-game consequences, so it would be just the same as jungle terrain.

Is there anywhere on the map where marsh is a problem? I can only think of one place: the incredibly fertile Indus valley, which is uninhabitable in RFC.

9. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

We're not talking about regular RFC. There is quite a lot of marsh on the RFC Europe map, particularly in Ireland, Poland and Russia. Too much, in my opinion.

10. sedna17

sedna17 Chieftain

Actually, I believe the original poster was asking about plain RFC. The question is an interesting one for RFC Europe too.

I'm not aware of a mod that does this. It would not be an XML-only job, since "Marsh" in RFC is a terrain, a feature, and a resource. Features (like jungles and forests) can be removed easily with in XML by adding a new worker action. I think it would take Python work to change the terrain though.

11. 3Miro

3Miro Chieftain

Python can do that I think, in a way similar to the Inquisitor action. There is one problem again, how to do the AI for it. I will look at the AI problem. Changing the marsh to a feature might be an easier solution.

12. st.lucifer

st.lucifer Chieftain

The health and movement penalties are already built into the marsh-as-feature rather than marsh-as-terrain, right?

If we can keep those things, I'm fine with just using marsh as a feature rather than as a terrain.

13. SadoMacho

SadoMacho spanker of civilizations

14. Beyondtheocean

Beyondtheocean Chieftain

I did mean the original RFC map, in India but also a big part of the Nile valley where it makes no sense to have an uninhabitable area.
    And there are other parts of the world too, where it does make sense to have this kind of bad terrain. Of course it also makes sense to terraform the marsh into farmable land (grassland, 2 food no hammers) in the late game, like in the real world.

15. Whitefire

Whitefire Chieftain

New Orleans, Louisiana.

16. 3Miro

3Miro Chieftain

Silly me, how can I have forgotten about this great example of Medieval European Engineering ;):D

17. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

It doesn't necessarily have to happen in the medieval era. Jungles can only be cut down with Biology.

18. Whitefire

Whitefire Chieftain

Yes, silly you. The Creole founders of the city (French emmigrants that were expelled from Canada by Britain) used methods to drain the swamps that came primarily from Dutch applications developed in 1500s.

19. musicfreak

musicfreak Chieftain

Italy, 1900s during the Fascist movement. Not exactly medieval but it works. :)

I'm all for this proposal. I don't really have any suggestions on how it would work, but as long as there is some way of terraforming marshes, I'm all for it.

20. ninerzfan_22

ninerzfan_22 Chieftain

The Aztecs founded Tenochtitlan in the middle of a swamp/marsh land. The Mexicans filled the lake around it however and terraformed the marsh. Now, Tenochtitlan is known as Mexico city. Allowing the terraforming of marshes is a great idea.