1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Alternative - Sn00pys

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Midnight Piper, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Midnight Piper

Midnight Piper The Final Tyrant

I've been happily moding away, but finally concluded that I'll be happily tweaking my mod for months. Since the mod won't be available any time soon, I thought I'd throw out the graphics tweak I'm using for Sn00pys Terrain - a mix of a heavily customized version of the mountains from Womoks' Terrain, scale-adjusted hills, and lightened tundra. The hills and mountains have both been made a bit less organized - extending slightly beyond where they should to make the edges less defined. Here's a sample:

Disclaimer/Reminder: this is a modification for Sn00pys Terrain - not a full terrain modpack; it is intended for use with that terrain set and for moders who are using that terrain set.

Here's the download:

Original, Version 1.0 http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Sn00pysAltSkyles.zip

Cleaner Hill Transitions, Version 1.25 http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Sn00pysAltMithyk1.25.zip
    Note: Version 1.2, up for a couple of minutes, was packaged incorrectly. If you downloaded that version, dump it and grab 1.25.

Edit: In response to some concerns regarding the tile transitions I've kicked out version 1.25 - cleaner tile transitions in the hills. (Note: version 1.0 and 1.1 had a small problem with one of the snowy mountain tiles - corrected in version 1.25). Preview below.

Attached Files:

2. Ulyaoth

Ulyaoth Emperor

mountains look interesting, but the tundra I believe it is, looks strange, it's too blank white, it should be a little darker, and maybe have some like swirls or something.

3. Niessuh

Niessuh Warlord

Your multiple hills are a really brilliant idea, but they have problems adjusting with each other and invading the coast. Could you fix that? :goodjob:

4. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

From this zoomed-out image the hills and mountains indeed look very nice, but could we have a close-up preview of hills & mountains too?

(especially those hills look very interesting :thumbsup: )

5. Midnight Piper

Sure, sample from a test game showing the Swiss Alps attached below.

Niessuh: That was the point - they are supposed to invade the neighboring tiles to give a less defined transition between terrain tiles and give some variation to coastlines. If I get some extra time I'll see if I can create a cleaner hill's set for you.

Ulyaoth: Doesn't that just mean you like the original tundra better? I have considered altering the tundra to make it look like it's covered by a blizzard. That's something I might be interested in doing at some point in the future.

Attached Files:

6. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Interesting -
    although the transitions (in the pcx-files) are not smooth, it looks quite okay in the game. Surprisingly good :)

7. Midnight Piper

Thanks. BTW, here's a closeup of the tundra and northern icecap - as long as I'm giving closeups :)

Attached Files:

8. Midnight Piper

Updated the modpack - a set with cleaner hill tile transitions; they no longer invade the neighboring tiles so deeply.

Here's the same region - the swiss alps - previously shown:

Attached Files:

9. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

midnight piper,

you did great work (I respect cutnpasting as an art in itself)

My one little criticism is that snoopy's and womoks colors dont mix that well, one is earthlike the other more cartonish. So if you are really dedicated you could painstakingly cut and paste pieces of snoopy's colored terrain piece by piece ontop of womoks to keep the colors like snoopy's but also keep the excellent flow you made from womoks. just a suggestion...

10. Dark Russell

Dark Russell Octagonecologyst

11. Midnight Piper

The mixture of the sharper/harder edges of womaks mountains directly with the smoother-edged Sn00py Mtns to build your ranges struck me as odd to begin with, but it seems to work pretty well. The occasional mixing hill's into the mountains is a good idea, one I hadn't considered. You also seem to have dealt with most of the 'color pallet' porting problems. I may incorporate some of the ideas I see here into my own work. I'm especially interested in your Volcanos - they've been on my to-do list for a while...

12. Dark Russell

Dark Russell Octagonecologyst

The volcanos I have built don't line up vary well with the animated smoke and eruptions in C3C...not that I care mind you. The colour pallete problems never seemed to crop up for me. I just cut and pasted from one .pcx to another. I am hoping to post a version sometime next week, because I have limited time to do this.

13. Niessuh

Niessuh Warlord

forest hills are truly wonderful :goodjob:

14. Arne

Arne King

I know, this is off topic, but hopefully anyone may help. What is this marked unit in that screenshot and where I could download it? Sorry for writing OT, but I din't find it here at CFC (may be, becouse I don't know the unit name?).

15. Midnight Piper

That would be the Mozarab Infantry unit, a Spanish Spearman by embryodead. Get it in this thread.

16. Arne

Arne King

Thank you. It seems, i missed this very nice unit. :)

Oh, and ontopic: good work, I personaly like the hills more than the mountains.

17. allhailcaesar

allhailcaesar Chieftain

I think these are all fantastic terrain enhancements. Nice work.