Terrain Modifiers Removed

Duque d'Caxias

Great General
Forgive me people but I must express my last concerns before the game is released.

Considering all the material available until now, I realized that most king of terrain modifiers seems to be removed, replaced by the simplified rough/open terrain system. The new system is nice and could be a complement for the terrain modifiers, but not replace them.

How can I now give a huge bonus for Camelarchers in deserts and flood plains? How can I give a great bonus for Cossacks or Berserks in snow or tundra terrains? How can I penalize heavy armored units in hot territories, like deserts and jungles (I loved to do this) ?

We know that Mohawk Warriors have a bonus in Forest and Jungle, and probably the Jaguar Warrior has a similar bonus. But is that XML entry opened for any modification? I mean, can I replace Forest for Desert or Jungle for Flood Plain, or it is like “<iForestCombat>25</iForestCombat>” and “<iJungleCombat>25</iJungleCombat>”.

Ok, there is a hope. So I am not desperate…. yet. But I will be if concerns become true…

This may not be possible as an easy mod by using existing values in the XML schema.

But you should be able to mod this in by either creating a Lua script for "onUnitMove" or whatever the Civ 5 equivalent is, or by adding new entries to the XML schema paired with changes in the core executable file (would need SDK for this).

Trust me, if it doesn't already exist, SOMEONE will make an SDK change to make all units have custom abilities in different terrains.

Happy civving! :)

The system still needs to have a way of telling "this is desert" in order to put the right terrain graphics there, so I imagine there will be a way for mods to specify things based on tile contents.

Top Bottom