1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain transforming

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by civ2units, Aug 28, 2011.

1. civ2units

civ2units Chieftain

I´m not sure what I have to do for making Engineers transforming order available.
    I´ve a Railroad Worker and he should be available to transform the terrain (from Plains and Grasland to Railroad Track). But it doesn´t work.

I´m using the Engineer unit slot, got the tech Explosives but it doesn´t work. How does it work?

Attached Files:

2. Patine

Patine Warlord

Years ago, I made a Lunar colonization scenario that relied heavily on transforming terrain (it ended up crippling the AI, though), and as I recall it worked fine back then. Mind, that was with FW before MGE, so things might have changed since then. Sorry I can't be more of a help.

3. AGRICOLA

AGRICOLA Chieftain

You may be confusing building terrain improvements (road, RR, mining, irrigation, farmland, airfield, fortress) with actual terrain transformation.

To build each type of terrain improvement, you need the requisite tech. For example, to build RR you need the Railroad tech. To transform terrain, the Explosives tech is required. Typically, an Engineer needs considerably more time to transform terrain than to build a terrain improvement. Are you giving the Engineer enough turns to do the job? Using 2 Engineers (but not more) on one task will cut the time in half.

BTW, are you playing vanilla CIV/TOT or a scen? In a scen, the designer may have altered parameters in the rules file to either speed up or slow down both processes.

The simplest way to check if any terrain improvement/transformation process is working is to stack a couple of Engineers on a square and give both the same order (r,m,i,e,f,O), click on both units, use cheat mode to restore movement to both units, repeat the order to both, click on both units, etc. etc. etc. until hopefully something happens. 10 turns for 2 Engineers should accomplish even the most difficult transformation - unless the designer has made some really nasty changes in rules.

4. civ2units

civ2units Chieftain

Thanks guys, it works now. :goodjob:

It´s for my own scenario which I´m working on. My mistake was to use the normal Settler unit. This was the reason why it didn´t work. Now I´ve switched the units and it works. Is there any possibility to change the number of turns an Engineer needs for transforming the terrain?

5. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

Hi!

I wonder why some excellent guys like Catfish or CurtSibling did not answer...

@civ2units
    Found out yesterday that i can create an Engineer on slot 10, or 9, or 8, without prerequisites.
    And my Worker can also be an Engineer. If you are modding CIV2 Test of Time,
    there are two Unit Value Files, and in the second file at the end of that Rules.txt,
    there you can change the Engineer Ability, and that is why your Worker does not transform,
    there is a Zero instead a One.

It is a funny thing... you only have to give a 5 for Settlers in the Main Unit Values
    for creating a Settler and to give a 1 into that Unit Advanced for creating an Engineer.
    That i did not know before yesterday... that these Settler and Engineer Slots are non-fixed.
    Even Diplomats like CurtSibling seems to show, if i saw correctly, can be created more than twice.

Second question:

The Head of the Rules.txt is the ´cosmic´ principles:

But i would prefer, if your transformation orders are standard of your terrain concept,
    to use the perhaps free/not used Irrigation/Mining Slots to exactly define your transformation orders:

If you do not use the second order ´Mining´ you can say instead a ´yes/no´ also Grs for Grasland
    to exactly define how long transformation as a Mining order takes, but know:
    THAT also a simple Settler could do.

As i said: It is funny. All you need is in that Rules.txt, read that manuals above
    to understand the files and you will get your finish.

6. civ2units

civ2units Chieftain

Thanks very much for this great tip :goodjob:

I didn´t know that before and tested it now and it works fantastic.

7. Nicheal

Nicheal Chieftain

To serve and to hoard huuuge honour is my primary target,
    G.O.D. (General Orders Demon) ordered, beep.

:)

I like to modd CIV2 Test of Time cause i can get cool things
    out of my good ideas... that Game makes it easy to get some satisfaction...
    and so i hope you will do the same. Have fun.

:)

8. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

I have your GFX request on my immediate "to do" list, C2U!

9. committed hero

committed hero Chieftain

This works on units in more than slots 8-10.