1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Terrance888, Nov 13, 2011.

1. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Hell yeah. Egypt intends to CONQUER AND EXTERMINATE

2. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

The Kingdom of Leon stands ready to wallop you.

3. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

This is the Moderator speaking, we have an emergency.

This is NOT a drill. This is NOT an April Fools.

My internet connection went from SNAFU to FUBAR this morning, stopping me from getting the resources to update. For ten hours I battled technies and wires, and I finally got the faintest glimmer of a line to post this message.

I would be posting the update by now, but I still need to look at the orders for India (khand) and the Americas. I would say in 2 hours, if the situation doesn't get worse.

If it does, pray. Pray with that Faithful Priest, or that Druid, or that Zirilist Kudust. PPray with the confucian scholar, or the Hindu mystic. Pray with the Takarzi warlord, or the Egyptian high Priestess. Or even pray to some real world gods, I don't know you preferences.

Pray that it gets fixed.

Or else, the world just ended 3:29, EST.

Moderator out.

4. qoou

qoou Emperor

*prays*

5. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Liar :p

6. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

Fixed :p

7. Milarqui

Milarqui Deity

Don't know, I think he is telling the truth.

It seems a serious warning.

Either way, I'll start praying for the gods of The Faith.

8. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

The Faith prays for a quick and speedy update.

9. Terrance888

Finished Khand, now to America! I will write just a paragraph, clean it up, and post. Map is done. No diplo, but I think you guys can forgive that.

I have something to do with my family right now (2hrs), so expect it to be up in about 3hrs, if I can post before dinner.

Mosty, I hope the connection will hold. :pray:

10. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

diplo is less important unless there are wars around...

as for stats, that's important. Neo Egyptian Empire must rule!

11. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

Diplo and other stuff can wait... I just want to sink my teeth into this update right now. :)

12. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

By Takarzi, Lord of all Heavens,

May Ichor flow like falling water off Your Crimson Hands,

May You hold Your Throne unsupplanted for all time,

May Your Avatar carry Your Name to the Victory Eternal,

Grant this boon to Your People,

Do not let Your World to fall into ruin at this time,

Let it live,

So that Your People shall be the ones to end it.

13. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

Anyways, who stated that I'm not a naval power? I have more ships than Lord of Elves. Over 30 I think. Up here, that's alot.

14. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

I remember when I had hundreds down in Italy...

Then I lashed burning and screaming heretics on the sides and drove them into heretical ships and proceeded to laugh like a madman. Best. Battle. Ever.

15. Terrance888

Update 11
    A Brave New World
    550 Years into the Bronze Age (2500-2450 B.C.)

All across the world the first civilizations undergo the brutal process of unification, from Rezzemus’ ruthless rushes to the sly Silent Emperor’s secret spies, to Karlov’s kingly conquests! The rising stars of the second generation reach ever higher, forcing those of the first to try ever harder to catch up, or to stay ahead.

Even then, old threats reemerge! The Barbarians are rousing on the Eurasian plains, the Faithful once more congregate in Vallarvale, and all across the world, the surviving states of the first generation face backlash as the first signs of corruption is revealed to the public.

Bronze proliferates, and a new world of plentiful metals threaten governments everywhere as farmers get their hands on rather sharp equipment. Another new world bursts into the bright light of civilization as a Mississipan culture unified against all odds.

How will our civilizations deal with the growing threats without, and the decay within? Coming up on the Civil Experiment!!!

(Ctesiphod, Dakinsa, Xiyi -1 Confidence)

Xilan

“Silence is a measure of decorum”-common writing (not saying) in Xiyi

Xiyi made her move, and within a decade has absorbed the two Confucian duchies on her border with little trouble, her high culture and confidence quickly dissolving resistance and her popular reforms calming the peasants. Nontheless, Wei’s southern army survived to reform the Huai kingdom out of scraps which were considered too barbaric for Xiyi rule. In Korea, Zhou exiles helped guide a chief of Seoul to dominate the other coastal villages with strange new ships while far to the south, in Yueh, local powers form. Xiyi is governed well, but even then it is constantly pressed to maintain the good will of the people, while to the north, news of barbarians mobilizing came once more, and stronger than ever.

“My liege is being generous in allowing you to live… should you ever return to this place, you will be killed.”-The Silent Guardsmen

Zhou’s pride is in her ships, and the little identity they have is based on this pride. To sail the open sea to distant lands! The Silent Dukes of Zhou were often seen at the growing harbor, building ships called “Oceanstriders” by the more public Steward of Zhou.

Suddenly, one night, a brigade of heavily armed spearmen landed in the harbor and quickly rushed towards the citadel. Their training served them well, allowing them to quickly climb over the walls and rush through the city leaving barely a sound. Like ghosts, they entered the Duke’s chambers and cornered him. No one knows what happened after that, but the Steward of Zhou was found dead, to the delight of all. Silence, after all, is a measure of decorum.

The people still have their pride, and their ships. But they are no longer Zhou ships. No, they are the Silent Emperor’s ships now, who saved several experts from the coup and finished the project double time. The few who made any noise found their own party breaking in their door, as silent as a scepter.

Silence, after all, is a measure of decorum.

“Do you like gold, oh Duke? Do you like liberty, oh Duke?”-The Silent Guardsmen

The Duchy of Wei was slowly bribed with the lure of Confucian culture and gold. Every generation, the family sided ever closer to the Silent Emperor, and every year more and more money poured into their pockets.

Finally, one year there were no more Dukes of Wei. The entire family disappeared from public knowledge and new proclamations were stamped with the mark of the Silent Emperor. Perhaps they still rule as governors, or as some pleasurable cabin in the high mountains, or perhaps they were all killed, but the people didn’t mind. They enjoyed the lower taxes and the stalwalt men of the Silent Guard who defend their towns. And those who did complain were silenced.

Silence, after all, is a measure of decorum.

“Great Lord Yuman of Seoul. Zhou is not available for your messages any more… ever again. We offer ourselves and the little we have in his stead”-Zhou Exiles

Several of the more visible (written) resistance to the Xiyi government knew that their time was growing short as one after another of their accomplices became missing, and found their support undercut by tax cuts. Finally, the few score survivors decided to escape to Korea. They stole an Ocean Strider and sailed with considerable skill to the court of Chief Yuman.

There, they allied themselves to the Chief and married into the locals, and eventually started prestigious naval families of some influence. Meanwhile, the Ocean Striders could not be copied by the Korean craftsmen, but those that did gave her fleet an edge over those of her rebellious fishing villages. It took Yuman one campaign to put down such resistance once and for all and give himself the title of King. (+ Seoul, Kingdom of)

“When the spears are bound together, they shall not be broken.”-Chiefs upon joining the Yueh Confederacy

The lands of the Yueh were facing growing turmoil the last century as bronze weapons gave coastal peoples such as the men of Shanghai an advantage over the interior tribes. But no more, for the men of the Yueh confederacy also managed to make bronze, and bound together to preserve their way of life-tending to their rice terraces, not trade or war. Against this threat, the chief of Shanghai declared himself Lord of the Great Seas (Dahai) and assembled an army. Although the two stood against each other, no fighting has truly started yet and the tension has allowed neutral tribes to repair their own farms. This area is considered to be barbaric back in Xiyi, a good spot to sell bronze for pottery and bamboo, and not much more. (+Shanghai, Kingdom of. +Yueh Confederacy)

“The sun has winked-it is time”-Lord Kato, after the Solar Eclipse

In Japan, a Solar Eclipse spread through the nation. This itself isn’t that rare, but there was a prophesy that the Kato Clan should not move until the sun winks.

And so it did, and so they saw the time was ripe. Like the surging waters, they overran the neighboring clan of Loromoto and then offered allegiance to Kuboda… or die. Since Kuboda’s hired mercenaries from Zhou didn’t appear, nor did they receive any assistance from Xiyi, they were forced to agree. After this, they begun enacting the various sayings of the prophesy; the Lord Kato stepped down and let his eldest son take over, even though he was still in his prime. Young Lord Kato instituted free religion, and stopped prosecuting the Ainu animists who still roamed his northern fiefs. This brought a measure of peace to the lands of Kato.

Finally, when the Ocean Striders returned, the Katos were ready to embrace them in trade. Loot was cleaned and prepared, the finest ores dug and presented, and soon, a brisk, if irregular, trade has begun with them providing loot and ores in exchange for very high quality weapons to dominate the lives of the other Japanese.

To the far west, more Yamato clans begun mobilizing, both in fear and admiration of the audacity of the Katos. There is still yet much to conquer if they wish to unify all of Japan.

“The people didn’t notice when the Silent Duke became the Silent Emperor, until the taxes were lowered”-Chen Kai’she, Historian

The lands of Xiyi, now bolstered by the shipwrights of Zhou and the miners of Wei, grew ever more prosperous. Money was put aside for philosophers and alchemists, who toyed with alloys of bronze. Knowledge from Wei and Zhou were assimilated over several decades and utilized for the good of the entire state, while consolidation of the different governments continue unabated. The ancient city of Zhang, especially, benefited from a forge Wei designed which worked perfectly in its mountains, and it soon grew back its lost population through immigration. Unfortunately, there were several problems with the mountain routes (indeed, one of the reasons that Huai asserted its independence so successfully) and they need to improve the infrastructure to their far-flung possessions before being unable to reach for much more. (+3 Urban, +3 Rural +2 Trade +Oceanstriders +Technology +Size-1 Confidence (overwhelming size))

The land of China is now referred as Xilan.

Levea
    In Levea, the new generation of states cautiously begun to expand power into unknown frontiers. The Hyaks send mercenaries that crushed and subdued the Boukae state, turning it into a vassal. Meanwhile, Danae saw this as a chance at breaking Parusha’s stranglehold on her political maneuverings, moving forward while her opponet’s chariot fleets were busy and capturing the southern Exalted City of the Parushan Exaltation. Meanwhile, Viria builds new fortifications, “just in case” anyone tries to conquer the Holy and Cultural centers of Levea. Etass scatters ever wider her nets of influence, while Hyak, at a smaller scale, does the same. Looking to the wars to the east for inspiration, the Levantine League invested in a well trained, centralized army to help defend their collective interests.

“The Four Charioteers ride to battle once more”-Naran-Sar, on the Eve of War

The Boukans continue to press their attack, throwing the forces of Aramya further and further back. The Virians were bolstered first by a contingent of Parush chariots, then by several Danae warriors, but noone can stand the savage push of the Boukan Phalanx or the endless cloud of their arrows.

They soon reached the fabled ford used in the Second War of Levean Supremacy, shoving aside the resistance, and were about to cross themselves when a horn sounded from the north.

Caught on the flank by the ferocious axemen of the Qarabu Kalbanatu, the Boukans reeled, to be then smashed by an Aramyan counter attack. The army buckled, then fled.

As the southern Hitherland was liberated, small bands of Boukans resisted, to face horrific deaths. Then the armies reached Irud, fought off desperate relief forces, and charged in after its short walls were opened by the resistance. With the liberation of Irud, the flood gates were closed and thousands of acres of Boukan crops failed in the withering sunlight.

While the Aramyans took a breather, the Hyak forces cut deeper into the Boukan state until they forced a surrender from the Semetic king. Boukae is now firmly in the Hyakkid orbit. (Hyak -1 Qarabu Kalbanatu -2 Spearmen, +1 QK, Chariot XP)

However, there was a reason that Danae only sent the dregs of her army against Boukae. She knew that Parush is a firm ally with Viria and will send the best in the aid of its friend; Parush will be vulnerable.

And so, while the great Chariot-fleets of Parush are away, the Guardsmen of Danae, supported by their countless militias, crossed the ancient plains and captured the Exalted City of Ru. Then they pushed across the plains towards the other towns, but were unable to capture them as effectively for Stoclassis guards the passes to Zarus, and its rocky outcropping lent their desperate defenders aid to the arrows so beloved by Paru****e men.

The Chariots returned, but to no avail, for they know that they cannot charge the walls of Ru. Nonetheless, they harried all the supplies they can reach, to heavy casualties for both sides.

“While sowing war abroad, the Hyaks nurture peace at home, building both bonds and roads among its people”-A History of Levea

Domestically, it is an all time low for Aramya as the end of the Boukaen wars only saw a new one arise, between the two largest merchant states of Parusha and Danae. Nonetheless, while trade slows down in the south, it is maintained in the north by clever investment by the Kings of Hyak, who continued to weave a web of roads, canals and ports. Danae did manage to dredge the ports of the town Eira and built it into a respectable city, welcoming the Dakinsan Ambassadors. Soon, embassies and merchant enclaves were established at every capital, but enriched Danae more than most.

Also common in this time is the building or refurnishing of Grand Fortifications. Normally, most cities have some walls which will help it stiffen a defense somewhat, and even towns have some sort of a barracks to fortify, but Grand Fortifications served to show off. At Bablae great walls were built on the border between the city and the Virian countryside just outside, attracting many farmers into the Hyakkid city. Conversely, the Virians also begun a fortification project, seeking to protect the Levean homeland above all else, walling both cities and fortifying the fords.

“I have, in my travelling, given them direction…” Exalted King Domnaur of Etass

In the north, both the Hyaks and the Etassians began to court the wild Mitanni tribes in hopes of trade, connections, and resources. The Hyaks were moderately successful, bringing in many villages with gifts, ritual combat, and conversion to the beliefs of Takarzi; but the real mover and shaker in the region has become increasingly Etass. (Hyak +1 Domestic)

Domnaur, after a debate with a Moserean priest on the need for spreading the fullness of the Pantheon, begun what is now known as the Highland Adventure. For one year, the king wandered nearly the whole breath of the Mitanni, from a great sea to the north “Where the once Great have Fallen”, to the Hyak frontier “Where the Bloody-Handed one Dominates”. He preached, he exulted, and he joined in the local festivals. Returning to Etass, he has left a trail of Aramyan envisionaries at every town and village, to be the representative of their culture, and decreed that all of these envisionaries shall make a pilgrimage to Etass every generation, and that all Kings shall repeat this Adventure before he may receive his crown.

And so Etassian culture, over three generations, spread throughout Mitanni. Etass became the center of the Moserean and Aramyan culture. The Mitanni, with the aid of Etassian envisionaries, have new tools and new ideas on agriculture, mining and industry- the trade of resources nearly doubled during this time as they became ever more effective. (+1 Trade + Cultural center)

“But as an ancient Aramyan king once said ‘Encourage alcohol consumption… to… make… more babies.’ These words we head willingly without inhibition.”-Exalted King Domnaur of Etass

Building on their trade and influence, they expand their growing records and their clout giving them comparable income as the southern Exaltations. Their population grew rapidly with converts and new births, and all the land remaining in their sequestered valley is soon settled, designed in the most heavenly fashion reminding all that their country itself lay directly under the heavenly plane on a heavenly plain.

What is interesting is the hiring of League mercenaries in minor amounts… perhaps the Administrator would be glad to see that his training is giving fruit so early?

“The business of the Levant is business; The League exists to protect its cities; You exist to protect the League”-The Foremost Administrator

Yes, the Levantine League works hard to ensure collective security. The origin of the Foremost Administrator is unknown- Did he once fight for the Katanic Solarians or Hyakkid Qarabus, looking upon his wide expertise? Did he once fight on the Fallen Sea, or for the Sardican Raiders, looking upon his dexterous disarmaments? Did he once fight for the Spartans or the Cytrians, looking upon his obvious tactical skill?

All this is guessed but not known for this legendary drill sergeant, who trained the League’s Army in one large field just off the sea of Galilee. There, under his constant vigilance, he molded the men into one unit- no longer are they Sailers of Tyre, or Archers of Ugarit, or Spearmen of Damascus.

They are Warriors of the League.

(+Training +confidence)

The Nile
    “Let loose the Chariots of War!”-Rezzemus of Thebes

-

“This battle will never be forgotton”- Tutmus, Keeper of Baset, King of Beni-Hasan

It took several years, but Thebes disengaged and brought back troops fighting in Canaan, leaving enough to bolster the militia. The Lybians were unified through a series of marriages and oaths to the King of Thebes, and the Nubians mobilized their armies. At the same time, Damietta slowly dissolved the bonds between the nations of Lower Egypt. When Thebes finally launched her attack, Avaris and Anor has been absorbed into the contender of the north.

The great armies first crashed into Beni-Hasan, the impetuous upstart. Over ten thousand soldiers marched up on both sides of the river, and simply overran the outer defenses by simple weight of mass. The City itself held out long enough for the Damiettan army to arrive.

It too, is a monstrous affair, even with thousands held back to fight off Lybian raids, the Damiettan Army is quite an equal match with the one Thebes and her allies packed. Here are the break down as the two armies maneuvered for advantages.

Although the Damiettans have a distinct advantage in numbers for their Spearmen and Archers, their quality is worse. To Thebes’ advantage, their fleet of chariots is nearly four times the size of Damiettas.

Thebes hoped that an elite force of Chariots and their best spearmen can attack and tie down Avarian forces through the Sinai, but forgot that the Sinai Oasis are controlled by Avaris. By the time it took down the various fortifications, it was too tired to affect the outcome of this battle.

The massive battle starts when the great fleet of Lower Egypt, numbering over 50 ships, pushed back the curraghs of the Theban-Nubian alliance. Then, the archers fired. There were so many bowmen that, long after the battle, arrowheads that split each other in mid air can still be found. It is said that sky went dark, that shields grew so heavy that men dropped them, to meet their death, and that still, the two lines looked upon each other as the rain of death continued.

With a signal, the two armies charged at each other, and fought in a general melee. Divided by the river, the Theban forces could not move their reinforcements as well as the forces of Damietta, who moved their few elite troops back and force to try to match those of Nubia, whose experienced spearmen chopped holes into the enemy lines.

When the sun set, the press of men still held, and in the darkness they fought, lit by a rain of flaming arrows.

The next day, the Thebans decided to commit their chariots. Their east flank, supported by the King himself, was stronger than the west, but both fleets of over a hundred were sent into battle. The Damiettan Chariots crossed the river constantly, trying to keep the chariots from charging the juicy, weak flanks of the armies or the lightly armed archers.

And so the second day ends, A mountain range of bodies grew, for neither side could keep the advantage. Thebans would cut through a line, only for reinforcements to surround their wedge and destroy it. The creaking wheels of the chariots can be heard on both sides of the gorge, maneuvering, shooting arrows, or charging with lances while the moon eclipsed, leaving the battlefield in darkness.

The third day saw that, over night, the Damiettans were pushed over a thousand paces backward, onto fresh ground. With their gruesome height advantage, the Theban archers pounded the Damiettan counter parts, their rest camps, and their reinforcement rallying spots. The Damiettan Chariots were ran into the dust and soon Rezzemus himself happily chewed into the lines of the enemy. And yet, despite giving ground step by step the Damiettans held. A ship full of mercenaries arrived from somewhere, and they held the rear guard as the Damiettans retreated to Beni-Hasan to regroup.

And so the third day ended in bloody victory for the Thebans.

The fourth day saw Thebes cautiously return to siege. The Damiettans continuously sallied forth with their curraghs, and thousands still died in small skirmishes all along the siege lines. The civilians, having their supplies confiscated by the gigantic army, starved.

The fifth day saw that the Damiettans have withdrew overnight, but once again, Beni-Hasan resumed the siege, re-provisioned overnight as well.

It took another year, but the city finally fell when Rezzemus ordered the bodies of the great batle to be pushed into the river, then at its lowest point before the flood. For the first time in history, the Nile was dammed… by the shear number of dead. The river dried up and the city surrendered.

This massive battle was repeated again before Anor, although they opened the gates when the bloodied Thebans approached, and surrendered without siege the conquerors of Osiris.

And again when they marched for Avaris, although it took then a decade to starve out the locals behind their stout walls.

Bereft of military ships to cross the river, Damietta itself still stood aloof, guarding itself with its walls of wood. The Lybians eventually killed her garrisons one the oasis, and her diplomatic victories among the people and the nomads are lost one by one.

But they have one last hope for victory, even as the forces of Thebes surrounds her, even as farmers started growing crops on the other shore.

They look to the sea.

Stats are shuffled.

After great expense, Kartoros finally conquers the Severi Confederacy. They are tired but look forward to the regrowth of trade after the arrival of peace.

“Unknown seas, unknown goods, unknown horizons… Good news”

For Axum it is a time of exploration. Ships are sent across the Indian sea, and they establish themselves several colonies in various places, garnering every more trade. They start a project as well to help support their growing navy. Trade grows rapidly as they contact the elusive oasii of Bakke. Although the Adenites obviously wished them to look upon the fabled Black Rock under the Kaaba, the Axumites notice a convenient wadi which a short coastal road can be built, leading to a convenient harbor.

16. Terrance888

Eastern Seas
    “The Fallen War started long before Emperor Justinian, and hasn’t ended yet.”-The Mountain King of Makedonia

The Eastern Seas is a land of war. Thloryn, hard pressed by the Makedonians, had the twin miracles of Torasnothian and Katanic aid. Sparta is subordinated, and forcibly converted while the Makedonians managed to escape the bulk of the Katanic invasion, at heavy casualties. Even in the Fallen Sea, constant skirmishes wear down armies, and Varna, unable to annext Odessa, claimed its vassalage.

“We will endure, like we have endured, as strong as the Mountains”-The Mountain King of Makedonia

Katanic Forces moved north, reaching Gallipoli while Makedonian forces tried to disengage from Thloryn units. Finally, on the coast of Marama the first Makedonian units contacted. The first skirmishes were repeatedly in Katanic favor, as their Solarians simply dissolved any opposing Spearmen formations, but then, the Makedonian Fleet appeared, drove away the unwieldy fleet Katan brought from near Cyprus, and landed a force behind their main army. In pitched battle, the Katanic force survived, but was forced to regroup.

Once again, they pushed forward and slowly pushed the Makedonians back. The Solarians charged again and again, and the Makedonians kept using their terrain to rip into the Katanic supply line, forcing them to regroup. Eventually, they reached the walls of Byzantinon… and paused in awe.

They charged again and again, with rams and ladders, but were unable to even crack the walls. They never fell through pure feats of arms before, and did not fall now. They had not the ships for a proper siege, nor the supplies for the little mining they could attempt. Repulsed, they regrouped once more.

Leaving a large army outside to hit any army the Mountain King might mobilize, the remander moved through the countryside to conquer what was once the Makedonian March. There, they found thousands of small homesteads, but at least they know how to handle this kind of resistance. They were brutally put to the axe, burned, and crushed without mercy, their people enslaved, and the ground burned in preparation for proper Katanic settlers. Makedonia does not lack spirit, but compared to the men of Katan they have nothing.

By the end of this time, the Imperial roads were completed by these slaves, and although Byzantinon, and the Makedonian’s navy still defiantly stood, the Makedonians are understandably alarmed by the loss of much of their conquests.

“In the name of Ziril, we shall bury you!”-Torasetar XI
    “With bodies”-King Leonidas Skorpio II, Master Chief, The Last Spartan​

For centuries, Thloyrn, Sparta, and Thebes (in this case, controlled by Makedonia) fought for the domination of Greece. Thloyrn has won once, and Sparta the second, and now it seemed that Makedonia, the new heartland of Exnotism, will win the third.

They were then invaded by the Katanic forces, and were forced to retreat, but even then, Spartan soldiers moved forward, deeper into Thloryn. Arrows cannot pierce their armor, and no formation can stand up to their dreaded Vanguard, an ancient unit commemorated for generations to come, and generations since.

South of Sparta, a soldier saw Zirilist ships.

That alone wasn’t amazing, for they arrived every week to gather slaves for work.

No, Zirilist ships weren’t amazing by themselves.

What was amazing was that these ships… these ships were filled to the brim with soldiers. He turned to run, to give the message to actual troops.

He barely turned when he was struck down by an arrow.

The Zirilists march on crusade once more. By the thousands they landed at their old baes on the Peloponnesus, formed ranks, and marched north.

However, they are not Faithful Zealots. They do not wish to bury their enemy in bodies- rather, they fought for their Faith, but they still fought with their head. Instead of marching as a single massive horde, they begun probing with nearly a dozen armies, advancing here, capturing there.

The Spartans won every battle, but every time they stood and fight, six or seven other armies marched closer to Sparta. Every battle they won, a score they lost for being unfought.

In the end, the numbers where overwhelming. Without too many loses, the Spartans were forced into Sparta itself. And even then, the Zirilists chose to bombard the city with arrows of fire instead of risking assault. And so Sparta burned, and the Spartans decided that, like their forefathers a long time ago, they must fight their way out and preserve their future.

Three hundred Spartans of the Vanguard marched out the gates, followed by other survivors of the countless battles. And they charged northward, towards Ctesiphod, where they can hope for Asylum and then rejoin their fellow Exnotists at Makedonia.

Line after line of troops they cut down. But each man they kill, two stepped forth to replace. The Zirilists skirmished instead of committed their forces, preferring to pepper the edges of their phalanx with arrows. As freedom seemed to be in sight, Torasetar XI himself led a charge, which smashed their rear guard.

The last of Sparta stood on a hill, bombarded with arrows day and night. They kept trying to break free, and they kept failing.

On that hill, lies the grave of the Kingdom of Sparta.

The Spartan Civilians were showed no mercy. Boys… Men… all are trained to fight and there fore must be broken before being sold into slavery, or killed. The women are strong and strange, but were seized nonetheless. Sparta is dispersed across the Central Seas, to be replaced by good honest Zirilist farmers and miners.

With the thanks of Thloyrn in their hearts, they turn for home, to face a deadlier foe.
    (Thloryn +Stats. –Sparta. Zirilists are Tired, but not Exhausted; Toras-Noth -2 Spearmen +1 XP +2EP Slaves)

Of the Fallen Sea, politics is too complex to distill, but Varna found that the governors of Altyria united long enough to build a wall, but fell apart again. Still, that wall stemmed their expansion, and they gave up for now, at least until they can buy some siege engines. Instead, they bullied Odessa into vassalage, and look forward into absorbing its neighbor over the course of several decades.

Western Seas
    “A Phantom Monster/The Winter Wars/Revenge of Three Deaths;A New Foe/The Cytrians Strike Back/Return of the Faithful”-Movie Titles of “Sark Wars”

Two hundred years ago, the Faithful of Valyria were defeated, and were forced to flee. The destruction they left behind devastated civilization in the western seas for a century, but, it seemed, to the fatigued survivors of Cytria and Zirilia that they have ended the menace forever.

The Sarks were quarantined and reduced to mere entertainment as Kudusts took men out “Sark-Hunting” in preparation for Zirilwine. The Faith seemed marginalized, and even its reintroduction seemed benevolent and of little notice.

Then, three events occurred that shattered this complacency forever.

First, the Longbeards, also an Anti-Sarkish force, were compelled to join forces, lending the Sarks sufficient numbers to unite.

Secondly, the great Sardican Empire converted to the Faith, and upon acceptance an amazing number of Zirilist merchants revealed themselves to be Faithful all along. Who knows how many others are secretly rejoicing, but remained non-Faithful on the outside?

And finally… finally the fact that the Sarkish Confederation somehow found the resources to survive the Cytrian counter attack, and indeed, thrive…

It seems, that it is a time for the Return of the Faithful.

“Sardinia shall be tolerant, but it shall be Faithful.”-King Aiken “The Faithful” of the Triple Crown

The first gong was sounded in the last era, but proudly, like a peacock, did the Sardicans sound the second. Oh sure, they are still tolerant, but no longer did their Royal Family try to stay independent of their Zirilist, Faithful and Exnotist advisors; Faithful they are, and Faithful they shall be.

Indeed, this conversion gave a new look at the completion of the Royal Barracks and the Royal Harbor. Once thought merely as an Imperial project, it soon seemed like a return of the Barracks of the Grey Faith, or the great experimental centers of the White Faith, or even the seemingly suicidal ramming and boarding tactics of the Martyrs. Men of the Violet Faith from Provence arrived to teach the intricacies of the Faith, and soon, the Arch- Faelinkrisr of the Western Seas was declared in Sardinia itself.

Still, it doesn’t seem all bad. The Markets still bustle with Zirilists, who were not harmed. Trade continues to grow under the Sardican Blanket, and it gave her much influence along her Faithful friends. On the other hand, the more firmly Zirilist Uticans gave slight pause at this gesture, although not much come of it yet. (+Culture, Confidence Cancels Out +Trade)

It seems that with some investment in religious institutions, be it cultural or financial, the city once at the heart of the Staltishom Prison Colony might soon become a religious center.

“An army should be sent south to burn Sark villages that they find and kill any Faithful or Sarks. Any Longbeards found to be harboring Sarks or Faithful forefeit their lives (to death or slavery) under Cytrian Commonlaw. Any opposition will be crushed beneath our sandals.”-432th Rumen Council’s Executive Order 66

The Cytrians begun probing the border with the Sarkish Confederacy. Caution and prudence, to ensure that this time, the Sarks are completely cleared out of Valyria once and for all, scouts are sent by the thousands, and even then, few return. But for every scout which survived, a Sarkish Village is Sacked, three Longbardian Villages are occupied (and the Longbards tried either Innocent or Guilty of participating in the Faith), and dozens of cave systems are smoked. Advancing is slow, but finally, they cleared the Apennines and stood at the bloody pass through which, two hundred years ago, Magnalorme first tried to hold against the Horde.

This time, they found themselves on the opposite end. Row upon row of Sarkish spearmen stood, disciplined by generations of drill by survivors of the Grey and Red faith martyrs. Next to them are the gigantic axe-wielders of the Longbards, looming over the Cytrians in the pass.

And at every other pass, they met such a resistance. Eventually, the Cytrian forces decided to force three passes at the same time to avoid reinforcement- two by Mediolaun, and one by Ctesiphod.

The battle was not nearly as apocalyptic as the ones these mirrored, but still they had their price. The river of blood carved out its old path in the central Pass, and the armies of Cytria finally arrived in the Sarkish heartland.

And they found Hell.

Hell, with tiny, walled paradises guarding sickly gardens. Hell, filled with soldiers, be they Sarks or Longbards. The Ashlands were being washed by irrigation and desalination, but even then the reclaimed lands are fenced and guarded. There seemed to be no unconverted Longbards left (although several nonfaithful Longbardian Slaves were available).

And this stretched as far as the eye can see.

Ash… the taste of it still filled the air.

The bite of salt still stung the eyes.

The rough topsoil still scraped at the skin.

Was the land being rehealed, or is it being reperverted by the Sarks, now that they have enough manpower to emerge from their secret caves?

That, the soldiers didn’t know, nor did they want to.

The Cytrians, seeing that they are outnumbered and puzzling at the great amount of resources the Sarks managed to gather, retreated to the pass, walled them up, and begun limited raiding, much like the raids which occurred nearly six centuries ago, before the first whisper of the Faith arrived in Valyria. (-1 Archer -1 warrior +General XP)

Most of the Sarks stopped raiding once their food supply was secured, but after this slow-motion invasion, they begun light skirmishes with Cyrian garrisons.

The Sarks, instead, focused most of their efforts south. The Longbards, for this generation at least, still have intimate knowledge of the coast of the Cytrian Sea and launched many raids, but the garrisons there rebelled them easily, if without counting the loss of many slaves. Another axis of advance was through the central plains, where the Zirilists were forced to give ground for time until the Crusaders arrived from Sparta, which evened the battle and eventually allowed the Zirilists to return to their old fortifications. However, the slaver’s domination of the Valyrian Sea’s coast was broken with a large Sarkish invasion floating down the Tiber, destroying the main Slaver base there, liberating thousands of captive sarks, and establishing their own fortified town in its ruins. (Toras-Noth -1 Spearmen)

The Sarks there begun rudimentary trade with various peoples, mostly the Faithful merchants of the Sardinian sea.

“Ctesiphod is filled with all manners of good things; best represented by the Colossus of Cytria- She is Mighty, She is Strong, She is built from many to form one.”-Krunnr, Crown Prince of Makedonia, now the Krunnur, the Mountain King

Ctesiphod, or more specifically, Rasade, booms with the completion of the Colossus of Cytria. Ctesiphodite merchants have successfully taken over the Aegean trade routes while Byzantinon (under Makedonia), Thloyrn (and the Zirilist Crusade), and the Sardicans (religious upheaval) were busy, and at the center of it all is Rasade. With the help of its icon of supremacy, the city soon grew to encompass the entire tip of the peninsula, becoming a true economic center Ctesiphod once was. (++Trade+Confidence)

Indeed, her new importance led her being given one of the spotlights of the tour for the Crown Prince Krunnur of Makedonia. He wandered the republic, wondering the republic, and the Colossus gave him one of the biggest impact on his young mind. From its spire, he can see the constant flow of goods to and from the growing harbors of the Apulian city.

He also visited Epirus, Aphod and other Rumenholds, but his second prime destination was Ctesiphod itself, which is on the verge of becoming a cultural center. There, he sat at a session of the Rumen Council held in his honor. Although quiet, the few words he spoke changed the dynamic of the Council as his sharp, almost uncouth background gave the Cytrians a burning reflection of their various hypocrisies; the Epurians though about the funds they channeled to their epicurian private villas, even as Mencuran rumens ruminated on the own funds they use supposedly to train additional men to defend the border (yet more often than not, women for their homes).

He returned home after nearly five years of traveling and learning, a head full of new ideas, leaving a trail of bemused silence behind him.

Confucius would have approved.

“You may enslave our bodies, you may enslave our children, you may enslave our future, but you may never enslave our spirit. Sparta will live on!”-Women of Sparta, now Slaves

Under the volcano Vesuvus is encamped the Crusaders of Ziril. For nearly a decade they fought to subdue the Spartans, and for another decade they fought to push back the Sarks, back across the mountains into the Vallarvale. Now, the third generation gathers, ready for the final invasion, when the orders come. (8 Zirilist Warriors, 10 Zirilist Militia, if used, Zirilism will become exhausted for a turn-you can elect to use less as well)

At home, under Ziril herself, Zirilis is home to a flutter of activity. The seemingly revived Sark Wars has kindled a new appreciation of their religion, and powerful men, amazed at wonders they have scene trading in the Levant, near the ruins of the Lyratele, near the great Granaries of Illia or the Pyramids of Egypt, and the shining new Colossus of Cytria, decide to make their own mark in the world in the name of Cytria.

And so they planned, brining new knowledge and new ideas from across the central seas. Ziril must be pleased, for the final design was completed when the constant smoking of the great mountain suddenly stopped, and a rumble (of satisfaction, said the Torasetar) is felt throughout the city. (+research+culture)

“Our future is bright, if only we seize the day”-Cadil Sardo Perm of Leoneo

Leoneo starts developing both their culture and the Faith with ambitious projects. The two largest is the Forear Escola, a system of schools teaching their newly designed script, and the Temple of the Gods, designed to bring a closer relation to the Faith into Leon. A motion to expand the ports, or the Darsa, at Barcinear led to such a growth in trade that it soon became a respectable city itself. Roads are commissioned and constructed, and missionary efforts spread throughout Tartes to spread the words of the Faith. Southward traveled settlers, missionaries and envoys, bringing the wild lands into the fold of the Cadilar. (+Urban, Trade, Confidence)

New tribes are found. Far to the south, the Kordobans, “Kors”, settle the rocky tip of Tarte; while to the north rough, mountain Vascons dwell near the edge of a sea, where the water is cool and grey instead of warm and green.

Provence pushes further into Frankia, and established the Kingdom of Nesfranks, a Faithful Kingdom. The Nesfrankish realm expanded quickly with Provencial aid, and soon connected with the Belivers of Ostava. Over several years, agreements were made and the Believers started calling themselves the Faithful, and the Belief is known, like elsewhere in the world, as the Faith.

Keltia
    “Authority lasts only a lifetime; use it wisely, and give it to someone who will”-Clovis the Clever, King of Wesfranks, to his heirs

In Britannia, what started as a war against Buertgang invaders became a war of religion between forced conversion to the Faith or the right to choose… usually by establishing the only choice left, Druidism. Ostava is becoming antsy as her two elsewhile friends and allies clash just off the coast of Calais. Meanwhile, the Wesfranks, Druids themselves, come into conflict with the Nesfranks of the Faith. Far in the east, Vahshallah continues to develop and preach, while hearing ominous rumors of a great horde from the south east.

“I suppose… I have no option other than to surrender to the Empire”-Last words of Garans the Gloomy, Fifth and Last King of Lundien

While Armorica rallies more centuries of Unsullied and Dumonos prepares their armies and fleets, the Buertgang fall into the doldrums of internal change as the Faith is accepted by the Dhanraig, who declared the Beurtgang is now an Empire. Instead, while the Druidic armies marched, the Kanaris High Chief of Kentus took the lead in negotiating with Garans in the Tower of Lundien.

Over two days and nights they discussed religion, strategy and the Faith while quietly, the unsullied replaced the guards outside with their own agents.

Finally, they were about to leave after an angry outburst by Garans when he whispered the fateful sentence, sealing his fate. The Unsullied burst in and killed Garans, although Karanis managed to escape by jumping through an arrow slit, landing in a cart, and throwing his moneybag at the startled carter, ordering him to flee.

This incident was blamed on the Buertgang, and the people rallied oncemore to the defense of Lundien, now a March of the Druidic forces as they marched forth. The Neutral tribes quickly pled innocence and allegiance to the onrushing force, and the Buertgang staged a fighting retreat to the marshes of Kentus.

Meanwhile, on the high seas the two fleets fought a massive battle. Reinforcements from what is now known as the Buertgang Empire was covered by a fleet of nearly thirty ships; the allied fleet trying to stop the convoy has nearly twice and a half that number, although only a few are skilled at sailing the North Sea. The skillful raiders braved battles badly outnumbered, but drew the main force away from the Convoy. With the arrival of nearly three thousand reinforcements at Kentus, the battle lines of the siege is stabilized. (Armorica -7 Curraghs, +2 XP) (Buertgang -3XP Curraghs, -5 Curraghs +4 Curraghs XP)

The Buertgang is still badly outnumbered at this time. They did make good use of partisans and the marshy terrain of Kentus to frustrate supplies and kill patrols, using their raiding curraghs to navigate the swampy streams and even managed to break the Druidic lines with an assault by some of the wilder kinsmen, wielding early axes. However, the Unsullied were used well, and in comparably massive numbers. Raids were contained rather quickly, and most captains learned to retreat after two victories, for the third will inevitably feature the unnatural swift terror that is the Unsullied. Eventually, the capital of the Kentus was captured by a pinching assault at two gates, opened by the unsullied after a single guard’s attention was shifted. (Armorica: -3 Unsullied +1 Unsullied XP, -2 Curraghs) (Buertgang: -4 Curraghs, +3 Curragh XP, -2 Spearmen (1.5), -1 Spearmen (3))

However, the Faithful now retreated deep into the bogs where their teachings spread like wildfire in a much drier area. The Buertgang army is divided into contingents with individual orders and prevented the Druidic army from being used effectively and forcing it into smaller units as well. Nontheless, the Druidics advanced;, while the Empire effectively used local knowledge to ambush and defeat many units, these merely located concentrations of the troops to the unsullied headquarters, where they will counterattack without mercy. Durmonos suffered many casualties in this phase, as their troops, strong in a phalanx, show their weakness divided. Slowly, the Druidics clear one meadow village after another, hoping to destroy this infestation before new reinforcements can arrive.

And they are seemingly promised to arrive, for the Empire now has quelled any last resistance to their conversion with the aid of the Faithful along the Rhine. They have once more rallied many men with promises of land, fame, fortune… taking every page out of the Faith textbook. They only need to open once more the route from land to island…

“The Garden of the Gods”-Inscription over the entrance bridge

At Vorgium, the second major city of Armorica, a massive product is begun. Long a confluence of various religions, much investment is placed into building a gigantic temple complex, serving every known god from the Faith to Druidism, to strange rumors like Exnot and Takarzi. Religious authorities from around the world arrived to view its construction, even some merchants-worshipers of the two distant gods, who arrived from the Nesfrankish lands, helped in the design. Ambitious in its scale and scope, many wonder whether it will be completed during the escalating war.

Their neighboring Wesfranks spent much of this time expanding their borders against less civilized neighbors, including the stubborn Vascons of the mountain who worship a sea god. The Nesfranks expanded quickly out of their stronghold of Nessos after being converted by Provence and having their armies bolstered by more bronze than a chief can shake a stick at, connecting the world of the Western Seas into the still comparably barbaric interior of Western Keltia. Meanwhile, Ostava turns eastward, seeking to unite as many of their kinsman as they can.

“United in Faith; The Faith, United”-King Karlov on the Conversion of the Buergang Empire

The Ostavans of the Rhineland are temped by both the Buertgang Empire and the Kingdom of Ostava. Money was spent, favors were bought, and battles were fought as they curried favor from the locals. The Buertgang managed to wile over a center of resistance with their conversion, and with the help of that town they managed to subdue other rebellious elements within their Empire. In the aftermath, they established a provincial capital for formerly captured Ostavans to congregate and have their say in the affairs of the Empire. With the conversion of the Faith, they have made their southern lands much less rebellious and thus much more productive. Just south, the borders of Ostava reaches, crossing many of the tributaries of the Seine to reach the great river of the Rhine. Where their lands meet, an exchange of ideas and culture occur, often bringing goods with them. (+1 Trade +Domestic)

To the north, in a region we call Picardy or Belgium, a druidic sect begins to differentiate themselves from their Faithful neighbors, calling themselves Ipren. They resistance further expansion, but also offer trade if peace would break out.

“We don’t need to fight, unless you don’t want to give up your land.”

Vahshallah continues to consolidate their borders. The rebellious Kelts of Brandenburg were conquered rather quickly, and converted by the sword. The land was sowed with crops, and settlers quickly moved in to mingle and assimilate the survivors, or namely, those who refused to fight after they saw the Vahshallahan army. A Keltic Confederacy based in Hamburg made contact, wishing to trade exotic goods of the Eastern Keltia for those of Western Keltia. Meanwhile, the Pommeranians continued to raid the coastline, and managed to resettled some of the coastline for their own use. (++Domestic +Spearmen XP)

Khand
    Bronze… Bronze is no longer a plaything of kings and soldiers.

Bronze is cheap and plentiful in Dakinsa. Like the revolution in warfare, long ago, when the first hard mixtures called bronze was first made, a new revolution takes place. Armor becomes more common, and axes are developed to cleave through such armor. But more importantly, plows begun to be headed with a bronze tip. Tools of bronze proliferate, bronze is used for the use of commoners, not just Rajs and Rajpaylas.

Dakinsa Raj has entered the true Bronze Age. (+Trade++Domestic+Project “Upgrade Armies”)

Colonies grow into cities in their own right, as trade routes and influence crosses the Indian Ocean to link with the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aramya. People begun to have new ideas. With bronze now common among the people, with the new freedoms, they wonder why only Raj’s and Rajpaylas can participate in the government. Several colonies, with bronze equipment becoming ever more common, wonder if they can earn more by declaring independence and raising tariffs on the Raj, instead of working within it. (-1 Confidence)

“Reveal to us the truth which we can understand, and hide any we can’t”-A ritual in the Vedas

The disparate polytheistic religions of Khand are centralized and replaced by Hinduism with the completion of Kishna’s Oracle in Gujarat. Hinduism’s lore is codified, and thousands pilgrim to the great structure and hope to see a glimpse of the “Truth”. Another religious center is beginning to develop in the ruins of Patal, where the confluence of two rivers mark a site for ritual cleansing.

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

Daretokimas finally starts to move southward, and unbalanced the warfare in that region. A small despotic kingdom consolidates itself, and it is to be seen how it will react to even more outsiders encroaching on Bengali territory. (+Bengali Confederacy)

Mississippi​

"O brave new world. That has such people in it!"

A new civilization burst into being, shining the light of historic records in the Americas. To the south, more tribes fight to unite their region of the Mississippi while to the north, nomads powwow at a large town, and also trade strange stones essential to the bronze used for the growing army. To the west, the land is open, but traveled by a mixture of nomadic and semi-nomadic tribes.

Epilogue

The civilized world grows ever larger, but the barbaric world is becomming ever more envious. Internal problems start appearing as foundations crack by the shear weight of time. As religious warfare threaten to break out once again, some look to the East to find stability... but unlike before, there too, they find troubling signs.

What a Brave New World!

17. Terrance888

To Do List
    OOC
    Map
    Stats
    Diplo
    -To Sardinia and Armorica
    Religious Rules
    Horde Rules
    Military Tips

18. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

Nice update! :)

19. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

Indeed so, I just have one minor question...

Could I possibly have a convention, with diplomacy done during this turn, to appear during the next update? Namely with Wester Keltia, the Western Seas, and Eastern Keltia participants.

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

All is unfolding according to Takarzi's design.