TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

A different view
Father said life will be better after the Egyptian man came. He said far away there is a land named Thebes, where I will find a good rich husband. He said the husband will be very rich, a merchant that goes to the edge of the world. He paid for me greatly. I did not really understand what it is all about, I was only fourteen. Father arranged food and some supplies for the Egyptian and I joined the Egyptian. The road they said would be hard, but it was the hardest for me.

We left into the deserts, far away from the comfort of father's Oasis. The Egyptian looked at me constantly, but he never dare touching me. I knew something terrible will happen to me if he would. The road was quiet, he asked me once for my name, I told him that I am not allowed to say, the priests say it would bring bad luck on my life if I speak to men before my wedding.

The rest of the time I was all alone to myself under my heavy clothes. It wasn't too hot and we mostly rode afternoon. At the rest of the time the Egyptian built two tents, one for me and one for him. He was nice but he dared not touch me. I could see he wanted to but that he feared whoever was the man I am to be given to.

Eventually after a week of riding we reached the Nile. I never saw so much water in one plac, flowing gently northwards. It was amazing. The animals in the water were free and fat, no one was afraid of thirst or hunger. The Egyptian made tent outside a small village not far from a place he called Anor. He left a large sign but since I can't read I don't know what it said. Whatever it was, when he left the camp I was all alone, and while people came, they saw the sign and escaped the area.

The Egyptian came back with supplies and we moved on, southwards, along the beautiful Nile. I hoped my future husband would live next to the Nile and I would like to visit these waters every day for the rest of my life. I thought of escaping the Egyptian and staying here, but it was silly, I couldn't escape the Egyptian, and even less his powerful god-king. How can I, a mere simple daughter of a Libyan chief could escape the god of living Egypt?

After about two weeks we reached a city named Abydos. This time I was allowed to join the Egyptian into the city. There he met with other Egyptian in a small building. I was left outside in a small wagon, hidden behind veils. Abydos was so lively. It had the Nile cut it right through the center, and a beautiful lively market not far from where I sat. So much life existed outside the desert. For fourteen years all I saw was endless sand and the Oasis giving life to a tiny speck of existence. Here life was everywhere, birds flying around and humans walking constantly, even at night the city was alive. Constantly riders came from the south and north to the market and traded, and than left. We stayed in Abydos for three days. Then the Egyptian, now joined by several others, accompanied me for the rest of the way. I was carried on a very pale colored wooden carriage. They said my wedding will be soon, they must rush.

It has been a month since my father sent me with the Egyptian and we reached Thebes. The city was larger than life itself. For nearly an entire day we moved through the city itself. An entire day just to cross a city is an amount of time I just cannot imagine. Everything was big here, much bigger than Abydos or Anor, and unimaginably bigger than the Oasis.

I was told we will soon reach the wedding mansion. A whole gigantic palace built just for my wedding. I saw other desert girls so I understood quickly that I am not the only one. Father, perhaps you made a fine choice for me, this place is amazing, I love every moment here. Very dark skinned women attended to me. They straightened my hair and colored my eyes and lips with greens and reds. I think I looked beautiful. They dressed me in a long white dress and put a veil on my head. They told me I have a day to go with them to the grand market of Thebes where I could choose three gifts, courtesy of the god-king apparently. Why would a god care about me, nobody from the desert? Another gift was specially chosen by my future husband. A large and I must say somewhat heavy, purely golden bracelet. I was showered with gifts that the desert could never give me.

The night came when I was in a small structure built especially for me and only me. The dark skinned women continued to attend my every need. I felt like a princess. I can't imagine how a real princess would have. How can I sleep? I am so excited. A priest came very late at night. He demanded I will remove my clothes and wait. Why would I remove them? The dark skinned women came and removed my clothes. I did not resist. The priest ordered them to lay me down and keep my legs open. My father warned me once, before a wedding a priest of Isis will have to check if I ever knew a man. I was lucky the Egyptian did not have his way with me. The priests looked quickly and left. The dark skinned women smiled at me and said I am ready. Soon I will be brought before priests of Ptah, the head god of my husband, and be wed to him.

Daylight. I can't wait. I really cannot wait. Some men came in my room and took away my stuff. They said they are taking it all to my new home. My gifts were left with me. I cannot hold my emotions anymore. I cried out of enthusiasm to the dark skinned women. They were sweet and gave me blessings and prayers. One of them said she can teach me a secret to help me with my husband, she taught me a spell for Ptah to make the household rich. I will use it everyday!

Excited! So excited! They said that in a few moments I will be taken to the main hall of the weddings. They said my husband's name is Hati. It is the first time I hear his name, Hati. He is an Egyptian name, he must be very rich. They said he controls part of the ports on Quseir and has ships going all to way to Axume, whatever that may be. Maybe it’s the end of the world my father told me about?

I am walking to my ceremony! They put flowers on me and flowers are thrown by the people! Flowers and white tiny specks of Papyrus! It is finally coming! I can see Hati, he is a little short, and he is dark skinned. He has a lot of curly hair. The priest stands right in front of me. He speaks the blessings of Ptah and wears strange yellowish clothes. I am in the peak of my life. The blessing is nearly done. Hati now speaks his own lines of the wedding. And that is all. I am his wife now, I belong to him.

That is all. I am taken away on a carriage away. I am happy to hear Hati has a house here in Thebes where I will live. Hati is carried right behind me. It took a few years until we arrived at his house. It is the bedrooms, and Hati is alone with me. He says nice words. He takes my by force. I belong to him. I am his to do as he wishes. He……………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Damn, and I was making the Flag/Banner contest the next minigame too!

Why not still do it, but grade the current banners and whatnot? Sounds like a good idea, and no one's work goes to waste. :)

Genovefa was sitting on a rock on a hill when she first met Gwrtheyrn. She ignored him at first but eventually noticed that he was staring at her. "Hello, where do you come from on such a fine day?" The man was speechless. Genovefa had never seen anyone look at her like this man did before that day. They talked for a while and she was sad when he went. The next day, the same thing happened. Day after day, the man kept appearing at the rock and only talked with her. Over a year of this, they knew eachother very well. An unbreakable bond grew between them and one day, Gwrytheyrn proposed to Genovefa. Genovefa was shocked and pleased at the same time and then accepted his proposal. They then went to ask for the local druid.

The druid came and the ceremony happened on the very hill where they first met.

The Shipmaster's Favor

"Issac, I did have some business I hoped to discuss with you later," the Administrator mentioned casually at the feast, "But it is not for here, will you be at the Mundo's Hall tomorrow?"

"You know as well as I do that I'll be at Mundo's Hall at dawn until dusk. We must serve the seas."

"Your piety is renowned throughout the League," the Administrator smiles.

Issac did not, he knew that this wedding would come with a price.

-

At the first dawn The Administrator cleaned himself and went to the Temple of Ybal to make his daily prayers, but he fastened his sandals tight and then prepared for a long walk.

Mundo's Hall is not located in the Temple District of Tyre, but instead serves as the main docks of the city. It is here that the navy of the League Trains and it is here that for years Drydocks have been in the works.

Empty promises from his predecessors about these Drydocks had ended many an Administration. There are Councils that an Administrator may annoy, but an Administrator annoys the Tyrian Council only at their own peril.

Issac is inside the Temple already, sacrificing a Bull and preparing his laborers with a prayer, the Bull itself is a mark of the man's wealth and piety. Issac is known to sacrifice a whole Bull each morning to curry favor with Mundo. This is part of why Issac is an ordained Priest of Mundo, but far from the only reason. Issac's reputation as a sailor, as a shipbuilder, all of these things spread further than rumors of his piety.

But a man of the waves, so blessed with such mastery, he was the sort who rose to Councils, he was the sort who ran the Temple of Mundo and oversaw the construction of Drydocks with every day. Such were the ways of the League.

At the back of the gathering the Administrator has no particular affinity for Mundo or his crafts, and simply waits for the rituals to come to an end.

When they do he approaches Issac, "It has to do with the Drydocks, my friend. I am sorry, but there are other things that we must spend the Treasury on this season and I will not be able to offer you enough to complete them."

"But we've come so far!"

"I know Issac," and the Administrator reached for a large coinpurse tied to his belt, "This comes from my personal salary, I only wish for you and your laborers to take it and know that your work is important to the League, but that we must accomplish one thing before we complete this work."

"And what is that?"

"A School, in Damascus. A place where council member's children can receive the highest and greatest education available, to prepare them for our nation's destiny."

Issac looks at the bag of coins now in his hand, "If you want to bribe a Priest of Mundo you're going to have to do a little better than that."

The Administrator grasps around for another coinpurse, and now at last Issac has a turn to laugh.

"Money is not what I mean, I'll give all of this money to my laborers. This wouldn't buy me a Curragh, but it's a thoughtful gift for the men. You see, Administrator, I am hoping to get into the grandchildren business one of these days."

"Of course, Sir, I was at the wedding."

"What I am hoping is that when I do have grandchildren that they will have every advantage. For instance, I'd want each of them and their eventual progeny to feel welcome at this Academy of yours."

The Administrator smiles, "It can be arranged."

"Good, now, I imagine that you are back to conspire with the other priests and council members of Tyre, or shall you be heading out to conspire n Damascus? I hear all of their lutes are in tune these days, perhaps it is a sign that you are needed."

A laugh slips out of the Administrator's throat, "No, but I appreciate your concern. I leave at once for the training grounds and I shall spend as much time as I can there. These cities are always rife with conspiracies and plots."

Dangling the coinpurse Issac turns and heads towards Mundo's work, "I should wonder if you have anything to do with that."

-

The Councils and Faith of the Levantine League

In the Levantine League each city is governed by a Council of the wealthiest and most powerful members of that city, each council determines their own terms for membership but by custom it is extended by invitation and granted for life.

These individual councils govern their own cities, but may also collaborate into "The Full Council" whose sole purpose is to appoint or remove an Administrator.

The Administrator serves at the pleasure of the Full Council, and may be removed from that office at any time by a vote of the full council. The duties of an Administrator are to facilitate the needs of the individual cities, helping them collaborate on infrastructure, such as roads or sailing fleets, and on defense. It is primarily a war time position, charged with the defense of the League but Administrators also have limited peacetime powers.

The Society of the League is highly focused on Kitabalistic religion. Although some cities require priesthood for membership to the council all cities require priests to function as independent economic actors, which is to say, forces priests to "get a real job."

The practical affect of this is that many of the temples in the League double as Guilds, and that to seek training as a shipbuilder or a smith even the poorest citizen may apply himself to service of the relevant God.

And if one has the skill then one may well become a priest, one may well obtain enough wealth to purchase an estate, and if one owns land, has the skill of their craft and the practical mind of a trader then they can consider themselves on the short list for a council invitation.

-

A Prayer to Ybal

"But he shouldn't have been the one to marry her, it should have been me!"

And so the Priestess listened closely to his complaint, as he named Tur of Ugarit the target, "Did you bring the price?"

The Priestesses of Ybal had their own methods of generating revenue, and no one who knew of them dared question whether those purple sashes were ornamental.

Thirty gold pieces, a veritable fortune, the coins spill from the man's pocket and clatter against the floor of the temple, "Please, take it."

The priestess frowns, "I am afraid I cannot. If you were able to match the Administrator's price then I would consider the job. But thirty pieces is hardly a quarter of what I've been paid to protect the man, you should know, the Administrator is not a Priest of our order, but he is a pious servant. Each day he was here he came and hired us again to protect the man, we are very much in his debt."

And the jealous suitor screams in frustration, charging out of the Temple.

from the ever lasting Neo Egyptian Empire

to Levantine League:
I am Harish, diplomat of the God-King of Egypt, Rezzemus-The-New-World. It has come to my god-king's attention that Canaan have turned to you for protection from our armies. He wishes to say that he surely does hope the Levantine League will not so hastily stand in his armies way. Canaan as always been an area directly under the influence of Egypt, the people of Canaan even worship many gods similar to the Egyptian gods. The God-King would not like to go into war with the traders of the great sea for they bring much revenues to his markets and ports. The God-King is stating that war on Canaan has been declared and the armies are already on the march. Please refrain from aiding the dogs.

to Sardican Empire:
I am Mantush, diplomat of the God-King of Egypt, Rezzemus-The-New-World. It has come to my god-king's attention that his eternal enemies, the royal members of Damietta have come to you with request for aid in ships and men. Please refrain from doing so. The war of Egyptian unification will soon end, and ships in no way could help Damietta for the war will be won by land. The armies of Egypt are the largest in the world, a land war is silly for you to butt into. What more is that the god-king would much prefer peace and prosperity with your wonderful empire for as soon as the ports of Damietta open again under his rule, much trade will flow from it towards your empire for Egypt is great, and luxuries are made here in plenty. Would you prefer to aid a dying city state rather than stay out of this and gain a trade partner who is a massive empire?

To: The envoy of the God King

This is the first I am hearing of these matters. If I had known before I wish I had been able to negotiate a more amenable situation for everyone, but if war has been declared then it is not my place to question it. I don't know any Canaanites, I don't have the trade figures on hand to postulate how profitable that sort of move would be for the southern cities, and I surely don't have any personal intent to fight or die for Canaanites or whatever they wish to fight and die over.

And so I wish to assure you that involving the League needlessly in wars is well beyond the purview of my authority as Administrator.

To: The envoy of the God King

This is the first I am hearing of these matters. If I had known before I wish I had been able to negotiate a more amenable situation for everyone, but if war has been declared then it is not my place to question it. I don't know any Canaanites, I don't have the trade figures on hand to postulate how profitable that sort of move would be for the southern cities, and I surely don't have any personal intent to fight or die for Canaanites or whatever they wish to fight and die over.

And so I wish to assure you that involving the League needlessly in wars is well beyond the purview of my authority as Administrator.
Wonderful! My God-king will be very pleased to hear this! Egypt has been in a terrible era of separation and weakness for a long time, the Nubians nearly conquered our lands. Yet our God-kings won the wars and now the Empire stands united again, and now Egypt again looks outside of the Nile, for friends, for trade and for expansion. I am sure my god-king will be pleased he can mark the Levantines as trade partners and hopefully he will send me here again soon to begin an official embassy to your people.

A Red Wedding

It was cloudy at the dawn of the day of the wedding between the two, which heralded signs of unhappiness and disgruntlement amongst all of the assorted members of the marriage that would be taking place today. On the tallest hill within the city of Spire, the wedding was taking place between the two betrothed, and in the distance, the dull booms of thunder could be heard, and wind dusted up over the standing congregation of people that had gathered to watch the spectacle take place. Here now, it was the wedding, the union, and the creation of a new bond between the Iron Lance General Heinrich Torrius, and the youngest princess of the royal family of Vahlshallah, and both of them stood rigid at the helm as the Iron Prophet (third of his name) performed the service in the building.

Torrius, a strong and martial man at even of the most relaxed of times looked so rigid that with any more pressure he would have snapped apart. Valyr, the youngest daughter, was generally relaxed, and was the opposite of her betrothed, but today had opted to show that she was an independent figure compared to others, and had to elected traditional battlewear of black painted ringlets in a chainmail design, as well as light armor forged out of the copper and the bronze. Torrius had done likewise, and bedecked himself in battle armor as if he prepared for a fight, and at the same time had draped himself in a long and sweeping cloak of sable fur, while he smiled onwards as he looked over at the Iron Prophet performing the rights.

"...and my the Gods keep and bind them, let no harm come to them, or to their children, or to the children of their children... may they have a long and bountiful union full of life and merriement, and may they prosper and live at peace with themselves forever, and when their time comes, descend into the dark realms and go through the trials of damnation to find their path to salvation and come into the light of the gods..."

The Iron Prophet broke off abruptly as the great doors to the temple opened up and let a chill wind enter the hall. The entire congregation and the two betrothed turned towards the source of the disturbance, their eyes moving towards the figure that stepped into the light from the darkness outside that was cast by the shadows of the clouds. He wore heavy furs and fur armor, a cloak wrapped around him and the hood drawn up over his head, gloves on his hands, and heavy leather and fur boots on his feet. Two swords hung on one side, a spear and a lance on his back, and as he moved, he jingled lightly with every step. Bells hung from the ends of his cloak, black, spiked, teardrop shaped bells that gave off a melancholy tone with each step. Each step they gave off a ring of death, as the man moved towards the people at the end of the temple and knelt their before them all and drew back his hood, before tilting his head up and smiling at the Prophet.

"Hello Father, and Uncle Torrius. Nice to see you both here right now, isn't it?"

"Shar-" said the Iron Prophet, but was cut off by the man on the floor who knelt still.

"My name is Omar now father, and I have a new family now." And his smile, his red smile, full of blood and malice grew wider as he looked up into the eyes of the three people grouped on the pedestal. His eyes were crimson, and his pupils were jagged, jagged like blades.

Torrius reached into the folds of his cloak and pulled out a long, straight blade, horribly sharp and jagged along it's edge. His smile never wavered, but grew larger as well, as he looked down on his nephew. "I assume you came for my wife, dear nephew? That's a pity, because as it stands, she is to be married to me, and not a soon to made fresh corpse that will be left outside for the crows and the ravens to feast and have their fill upon... I suggest you leave now, before things get uglier than they already are, and leave us be... I will soon deal with you anyways."

"Dear uncle, things could not possibly get uglier with you in the room."

Torrius was fast for his size, and struck so hard and viciously that Omar, even as he was able to stand his ground and bring his two swords out to block the attack, staggered a little in his spot as his uncle bared down on him. Lifting up the sword, Torrius slammed it down again, Omar's swords remaining in their position but forced downwards a half meter as Torrius brought the sword back up again for another attack. Omar took his chance, and used both his blades to slash at his uncle's exposed stomach, but the swords clanged on heavy breastplate and sunk into the metal, before Omar yanked them out and thrust them forward into the breastplate. Torrius parried it and drove the pommel into Omar's cheek, sending him reeling a few steps while the bigger man advanced.

The congregation moved out of the way a little bit as the two men fought, Omar reeling back from the pommel blow to the face that he had received and Torrius bearing down on him. Tossing the blades aside momentarily, Omar drew his spear and brought it to bear against his uncle, driving the bigger man back temporarily as he wielded it with two hands, and blocked, deflected, and counterattacked every time that Torrius tried to attack his nephew. Omar's quick winning streak was brought to an end when a surprise move by Torrius and his sword caused it to shear into the wood and through it, snapping the spear in half, and turning it into pieces.

Omar drew his lance, and Torrius stood back a second and smiled. "So you want to do battle with lances, eh? I'll show you how a true man does it." So saying, Torrius dropped his own sword and drew his own lance, holding the grip with two hands while grinning like a wolf at a lamb ripe for slaughter.

Driving the lance forward with fury, Torrius grazed Omar's cheek and drew out a long and bloody scar across his left cheek, before Omar deflected the lance and steered it aside, to smash the large spearlike weapon into the side of his uncle's face. Torrius reeled now himself as Omar deftly moved and wielded the lance in complex moves, sweeping it in arcs under and over his arms, thrusting the lance out at his uncle, and stabbing and slashing with the point as hard as he could while his uncle did likewise, a battle of the finest to the death.

Omar's lance drove home into the gut of Torrius after several complex maneuvers, but not before Torrius's own lance struck Omar in the knee cap, punching straight through and driving into the wooden floor, pinning Omar to the floor. Both men grunted in pain, as Omar dropped his own lance to the floor and Torrius let go of his own. Torrius picked up his nephew's lance, grinned one final time, and raised it for the death blow as Omar stretched out his arms on the floor...

... Picked up the remains of his spear and drove the sharpest ends through is uncle's neck. Blood was everywhere as Torrius gripped the bits of spear in his throat, the eyes rolling back in his head, as he collapsed to the ground, blood staining his sable cloak. Omar yanked the lance out of his kneecap and hobbled up to the pedestal where Valyr and the Iron Prophet awaited.

"My lady," Omar said with a coy grin. "May I take your hand?"

Valyr raised an eyebrow and gripped the dagger at her side, drawing it out and placing it on her new husband's neck. She retracted it slowly. "You may."

Omar smiled his red smile and looked at her with his crimson eyes.

In The Service of Ius (aka Proto-Noir)

The priests of Ius are ordained for a single purpose, and they oversee the Servants of Ius towards the pursuit of truth.

But truth is a complicated matter, with a variety of implications and contexts, so the Servants and Priests of Ius in the League have found that the scholarly manifestations have been taken by the Priests of Sune and the artistic manifestations by those of Thice, which left one good market the Councils themselves.

And so it is the mission of the servants of Ius to preserve the "Truth" of the Councils and the Councils pay well so that when they say "Murderers shall be imprisoned" or "Thieves shall be punished," the words are not idle, but are truth. It lends a strange phrasing to laws of the League.

But there are also other implications, as the oath of Ius only requires the Servants to return 3/4 of the money they recover from thieves and so most of the priesthood is focused on solving such crimes. Past that the shaky relationship with the Priestesses of Ybal frightened most Priests of Ius away from investigating too many murders.

In Tyre a Priestess of Ybal sits on the council and a permissive atmosphere on the subject is preserved throughout the region, and to the north the Priesthood is strongly established, rivaled only by Resurus (a patron taken by many warriors) and Felis (a popular patron among farmers and archers) but assassinations have been considered serious offenses in the East since the assassinations of multiple council members of Damascus over certain funding provisions for the temple of Tarias in that city and bonuses have been provided by that council for the capture of murderers and assassins.

But the Priests and Servants of Ius walk the streets of each city, and thieves beware.

But Amos took his trade in murders far away from the welcome bounties of Damascus, far to the north, in Ugarit he solves murders for the people of that land.

In the Temple of Ius Amos worked on his own cell, trying to piece together an evidence chain for a runaway carriage that hit an old lady when she walked in. Tall, slender, with her olive skin and midnight black hair, her irises seemed pure black in the fantastic white of her eyes.

"My father's been murdered," she tells him in her throaty voice, dust sifting through the air of the temple and bumping gently against the stone walls, "They tell me that you're the one I need to talk to."

Amos looked up from his papers, "What was his name?"

"Peth of Ugarit, father of Tur. He was strangled. I didn't see it happen, but I saw the woman as she fled, she had a purple sash."

Amos sighed, this went all the way to the top, he had half a mind to pass on the case.

But he took an oath to Ius, to see the truth of the Council's decrees. That murderers should be punished. Brought to trial. There's no money in it only whatever he can squeeze out of this orphan, but Amos can't resist his oath.

"I'll have to ask for some money up front," he tells her as she sits softly on his desk.

"What for?"

"Looks like I've got to take a trip to Tyre."

The man stood at the lectern. It was not a podium; it was not raised, but instead only a lectern, a wooden stand from which an orator addressed an assembled crowd. He had had that lesson beaten into him at a very early age. His childhood tutor, whose name he had apparently mentally blocked out, had not been a pleasant woman.

"People of Pyrhus,"

The crowd moved and murmured. It was not so much the speaking that unnverved him. No, it was the people, always moving, talking, watching so intently his every action and word.

"I come before you today not as a maker of promises,"

In the Rumen Council, and in the smaller towns of Greece, he had no problem speaking. It was the large amounts of people, the crush of sweating, stinking human bodies ready to burst and wound tighter than a drum, that really got to him.

"But as a seeker of justice."

The crowd let up not a wisp of air, but he could feel their collective attentions on him. It was if he were covered in flies. He was nervous, and uncomfortable, and not quite in his element.

"For too long have the Greek Rumen channeled money into mansions for their meetings, and dinners, and fine Egyptian silks for their mistresses. Money taken from you all, good shoe-makers and chamber-pot women, and farmers and merchants."

A pavement stone hurled at a nearby city guard, bouncing off his wicker shield. A number of citizens were beaten back by wooden polls, devoid of speartips. A daily occurence since, ever since the Zirilwine took control of the vinyards and the Makedonian king Krunner swore undying bestial love for his Katanic conquerors.

"Well, times are hard. It is time they stopped taking the good people's money for bad purposes. It is time they put it to good use, like the Rumen of old did. New roads, repair the city walls, garrison the Makedonian border. Giant statues back west are all well and good, but we have needs here as well. Needs beyond fancy dinners for our leaders."

Emphasis on the last word. There was the scent of blood in the air, and the tension was palpable in the great square. The merchants had all either closed their shutters and doors or pulled their wagons away.

"We've tightened our belts for them, now it's time they do it for us."

A pavement stone cracked a guard in the head. Blood exploded from his face as he fell backwards, his nose and eye swelling and purple. A stone flew back into the crowd, causing an uproar as a woman went down.

The city guard pressed on the crowd; pushed too far, trained too little, angry, hurt and betrayed, they fell on the amassed citizens like ants to honey. Bogged down, overcrowded.

"No, stop.. This is not, no.. Stop! STOP!"

The man's small voice was lost amongst the roaring skirmish. A few thousand citizens gathered in the square vs a few hundred armed guards. Citizens were beaten until they didn't resist anymore, and then were ignored. Their wounds were mostly not fatal, though the occasional brutal crack to the skull killed.

"Stop! NO! We are not here to fight, we are here to discuss! STOP IT! Brutus, stop them! Gronus, tell them!

Everything slowed for the man. Somehow, before he saw the it coming for him in slow-motion, he knew something was more off than it seemed, and that his death was near.

He looked around the square, wondering if he could see someone he would know, and recognize, aside from the thousands of unknown onlookers, fighters, or drunks.

A single arrow twirling and jiggling through the air towards him, arching up and over the roof of a nearby building.

Ethnicity of Egypt

Egyptians – The first inhabitants of the Nile, first farmers of the banks and the followers of the ancient Egyptian gods. They are the rulers of the Nile and first followers of the God-kings of Egypt. Their traditions are as old as civilization itself. Egyptians are probably the largest race in the entire world.

Nubigiptians – The sign of peace and unity between Egyptians and Nubians. The Nubigiptians are a mix between Egyptian and Nubian population at the borders of the two empires. They live mostly as city folk in Aswan and in some farmlands around it. They are a tiny group and if something ever breaks the relations between Egypt and Nubia, they may be the first to suffer the consequences.

Libyans – Once considered enemies of civilization and Egyptians now the God-king of Thebes quickly united them into his realm. His vast royal family and riches allowed the hundred weddings events that quickly united hundreds of tiny Libyan chiefdoms into the empire using blood connections. They are fierce desert warriors and live along the many oases of the western deserts. Now with the growing interest of the king in the western coasts, they are quickly becoming more important and closer relations are hunted by him.

Sinai Bedouins – For hundreds of years Sinai has been under deep and total Egyptian influence. The Bedouins who live there are all but Egyptians in everything but origins. They live peaceful lives and are well fed thanks to the Nile and the God-king's wise spreading of food in the empire. Some live as far east as Timna and as far west as Avaris. Their world importance is very much nonexistent.

Southern Canaanites – Inhabitants of Timna and the southern Canaanite desert. They are fiercely loyal to the God-king after years of protection from the eastern desert raiders and from the growing state of Canaan. Yet while they are close to the Egyptians in alliance they always are fierce protectors of their own ancient traditions. While Egyptian religion has deeply influenced the Canaanites they continue to keep their old ancient god names and traditions of spells and blessings. With the coming war on northern Canaan they are quickly becoming important to the God-king and their loyalty will soon be tested again....

They are! For years Thebes control over the area grew and while the northern Canaanites opposed it and united against Thebes, the southern ones surrendered and flourished. They never even once rebelled against Thebes (and they would be stupid to rebel against the grander Neo Egyptian Empire). To the contrary they fought together with Egyptians against the other Canaanites and aided Egypt in tightening its control over Timna. At least that's how I see it from the updates etc :p

Update 8 said:
Finally, Thebes sent an adventure to recapture Timna. Although their young army failed, they did manage to frighten the Chiefs of the Copper Vale to send a tribute of high-quality ores to Thebes every year.
Your first contact, you scared the Chief of Timna to surrenduring tribute, although he maintained independence. Your young army was beaten by a coalition of Canaanite tribes.
Update 9 said:
An expedition was sent to cow the Chief of Petra, but when the Chief of Timnia balked, it turned to fully attach this region into the Kingdom. Now Thebes has a true, secure foothold into Palestine, and they must move fast if they wish to expand further. (+1 Trade -1 Spearmen (1.5))
You fought a minor war with the Chief of Timnia to destroy opposition to further expansion.
Update 10 said:
In the Near Levant, they skillfully used diplomacy and slighty greased palms to scatter initial resistance and spread their influence. Only the great Warchief of Jaffa, who had launched his own bid for unification just a few years ago and captured Jerusalem, openly stands against him.
There is resistance, but that turn you focused on diplomacy. Basically, you propped up friendly governments that killed the resistance for you. The other side united under Jaffa either willingly or not, but all of those dudes want to resist you.
Update 11 said:
It took several years, but Thebes disengaged and brought back troops fighting in Canaan, leaving enough to bolster the militia.
It took several years, because an afghanistan-style conflict keeps everyone on their nerves.

I'm the all seeing mod, and I know all. Look upon my proof, and despair.

EDIT: Looking back, Canaan is one fine piece of bronze-age imperialism.

AGH
Ra has spoken than. I have been a fool not to read the omens correctly. Canaan will be deeply united this turn with a VERY large army ;)

Egypt is quickly growing to become the most powerful empire in the world, largest army, largest economy. Only that fake-china is still a little stronger... Yet that will run out soon. The world is mine to pick at.

Where should I pick first once the Nile is mine? The Levantines seem to be wise enough not to anger me and bring my armies... I guess I'll head west into the deserts...

Come on Lucky! Come south! I need a major enemy!

Skillful play and a bit of luck does wonders when reckless gambles paid off. ;)

Good luck all. I'm counting my orders now to see how many I've got.

@ Certain People: I would prefer that you send 1 PM with all your orders inside, not just additional stuff. Please don't sending spending in a seperate PM from policies, just put it at the top of your orders. Thank you all.

EDIT:

@ Luckymoose
All the High Princes are ready for war.

To Katan
From Varna

The balance of power must be kept. The Fallen Sea will unite under our banner against you!

To Yamato:
You can either unite and die, or join me and have your kings to become Princes and have a level of Autonomy.

To Ainu:

There will be no peace, until you accept me as your emperor. I will have your King to become a Prince and give a level of Autonomy.

To Dahai

I want you to let me pass troops in your lands and use your nation as a military base for my army.

Note: I wont take you over or make you a puppet state. I will just have my troops pass your land.
OOC: Wow, sorry for missing diplomacy, there. Please warn me via VM if I miss diplomacy/stat mistakes for... 3 days, I guess.

From Some Yamato Clans
How much autonomy? And why should we listen to you, you upstart?

From Ainu
So it seems that we cannot trust the Yamato scum! You shall have no peace on our islands.

From Dahai
Who are you again?

Top Bottom