Terrible Civilopedia

qadams

Bohemian
The Civilopedia in Civ 6 is pathetically bad.

Many items I'd like information on are missing altogether, and in other cases the info shown is either inadequate or incomplete. Also, as others have noted, there's no Back button, which is ridiculous.

But the thing that bothers me more than anything else is there are no links! If I'm looking at a unit, for example, and it says it upgrades to another unit, I can't just click on that new unit and go to the entry. Why not??

Like Civ V on release, this Civilopedia is pretty threadbare. Basic information is missing, for example, it doesn't actually detail how borders of cities grow.

What confuses me is that Firaxis always does such a great job of writing summaries about the historical background of everything in the game, but fails to provide even the most basic information about game mechanics and concepts.

And yes, the lack of a back button is one of Civ6's more ridiculous deficiencies.

What confuses me is that Firaxis always does such a great job of writing summaries about the historical background of everything in the game, but fails to provide even the most basic information about game mechanics and concepts.
Yeah, exactly. I'm much more interested in learning what I need to know to help me in the game I'm playing. That historical stuff is sort of interesting, but secondary.

Last edited:
Civilopedia's description of neighborhood says "Mr. Rodgers lived in an idealized one, as do Big Bird and Cookie Monster." Rodgers, not Rogers? Heresy. I want a refund and an apology.

Also, the lack of the back button was a real frustration when I was trying to determine the differences between regular and unique versions of stuff.

One of my favourite things in Civilopedias is when they have a mistake in them. I remember Civ V released with a beautifully written piece on the wrong Ragusa. They fixed it later of course, but there's always a few things like that scattered through them.

The Civilopedia in Civ 6 is pathetically bad.

Many items I'd like information on are missing altogether, and in other cases the info shown is either inadequate or incomplete. Also, as others have noted, there's no Back button, which is ridiculous.

But the thing that bothers me more than anything else is there are no links! If I'm looking at a unit, for example, and it says it upgrades to another unit, I can't just click on that new unit and go to the entry. Why not??

I agree. Particularly about the missing "back button"

There's a lot cribbed from Wikipedia in there. I notice how Peter the Great's entry has no mention of how so very personally he hated religion, though they mention his shifting of the Orthodoxy (as if in a halfhearted attempt to justify Russia's focus on religion). I also notice how Saladin's military exploits in the Crusades are given very short entries in Saladin's page, even though they occupy the majority of Saladin's Wikipedia page.

There is some humor that they added to each entry in brackets, though, and you can click the leaders' quotes (not all of them are actually quotes from the leader, mind).

So yes, mixed bag. I prefer Civ IV's Civilopedia for its ease-of-use.

Civilopedia's UX problems aside, so far it was absolutely useless to me in information it provides. A lot of game mechanics and other little things are missing.

For example:

There's absolutely nothing useful about districts, how do they work exactly in terms of adjacency, what affects what, which districts have area of effect? How many tiles? And most importantly HOW does it affect if it does?. Besides the generic "campuses and holy sites for example have adjacency bonuses to mountains" or something, there's no real info. Had no real idea how Hansa is different for example. I remember from videos it was supposed to have something with being next to commercial districts, but no idea. To add to that (not civilopedia related) there's no convenient way to see the output of districts at any given time (after they are built), again what affects them over time? I want to see the tile effects on districts when I need to, and I want to see the neighboring district's yields AND new effects as well when I build a new one. Often when you build a new one, adjacent districts get new adjacency bonuses too, this needs to be shown.

No info on how exactly war weariness works either. I now know that conquered and NOT ceded cities will be less productive and get war weariness, but just how less productive? How is war weariness calculated?

Etc.

Besides the missing back button and lack of some basic info and concepts, to be honest I don't like how there is a lack of seriousness in several of the historical civilopedia entries, like how there is a lack of seriousness in many of the tech and civics quotes. But that's just probably me.

It's hard to take anything serious when Cleopatra every 10 turn or so shouts at you for being weak with a ghetto "oh no you didn't" gesture.

I had this "Oh my God.."-moment shortly after release, when I couldn't find where Corps are unlocked and after typing in "Corp" the Civilopedia didn't return anything.

Civilopedia's UX problems aside, so far it was absolutely useless to me in information it provides. A lot of game mechanics and other little things are missing.

For example:

There's absolutely nothing useful about districts, how do they work exactly in terms of adjacency, what affects what, which districts have area of effect? How many tiles? And most importantly HOW does it affect if it does?. Besides the generic "campuses and holy sites for example have adjacency bonuses to mountains" or something, there's no real info.

The Civilopedia is missing a lot, but it definitely has information about districts. For example, search for "Campus". You'll see adjacency bonuses, available buildings, and unique replacements.

Another thing that bothers me is that you can't right click on anything to go straight to the Civiliopedia entry. You have to click Civiliopedia and manually type in the entry you are looking for.

I also don't like the lack of seriousness.

Another thing that bothers me is that you can't right click on anything to go straight to the Civiliopedia entry. You have to click Civiliopedia and manually type in the entry you are looking for

This is a massive inconvenience, and then there's the fact that warmonger penalties are not listed anywhere. Even declaration of war entry just talks about it in general terms... hmph.

And yes, the lack of a back button is one of Civ6's more ridiculous deficiencies.

Yes, this once again :(

You can by clicking the image of the unit it upgrades to I've found.

Top Bottom