1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrible Civilopedia

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by qadams, Oct 24, 2016.

1. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Yeah, I remember trying to look up what a "citizen slot" referred to, and finding an entry for citizens that basically just says "citizens: they exist in your cities".

And I'm still not sure that there is such a thing as a follower religious belief.

2. zagosya

zagosya Chieftain

What about victory conditions? Civilopedia states that to achieve domination victory you need to be the last remaining civ holding original capital but that's not the case.

By the way your victory condition advisor correctly tells you that you need to conquer all capitals like in civ5

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

It feels to me like they wrote a preliminary civilopedia months ago without any details in order to accommodate the rapidly changing systems due to constant development, but then never bothered to go back and actually finish the damn thing.

4. brahms

brahms Chieftain

Seems like there's a general lack of specificity in interface information as well, despite the profusion of charts and reports. For example when I choose a policy that provides a % production bonus for certain units, the bonus does seem to take effect, but I can't find it enumerated anywhere as it would be clearly in Civ V; the city's production total e.g. still just shows the base and nothing else. Or when I 'built' a Holy Site Prayers project, nowhere does it say clearly how many Great Prophet points are accruing and when.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  5. MentatYP

MentatYP Chieftain

Agreed!

You mean on the upgrade interface? Yeah, that's ridiculous.

You can right-click items in the city build panel to get to Civilopedia.

mazz0 likes this.
  6. mazz0

mazz0 Chieftain

Just posted this in another thread, but seems more relevant here.

Speaking of the bad civilopedia, have you read the entry on Growth?

"A city will add all surplus Food towards its growth if its Population is 2 or more below the city's Housing limit. If the city is 1 Population below its Housing limit, its growth will slow to 50%. When the Population is at the Housing limit, it will grow at only 75% the normal rate"

Obviously somebody's got their percentage of total and percentage reduction mixed up there - they mean to say it will grow 75% less than usual, i.e. 25% the normal rate.

7. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Yeah, I finally figured that out too. But it is certainly not obvious. They hide the link rather carefully.

8. BlackSmokeDMax

BlackSmokeDMax Chieftain

Came here to basically make this thread. So much missing info.

The first thing I went to search for and couldn't find was the penalty for crossing rivers. I seem to see the AI crossing rivers in middle of moving (no roads), but I don't seem to be able to do it without full movement points. Has anyone else found this piece of info anywhere?

Overall it seems like they put in all the fluff and left out the main course. I'd love to have both, but the actual game info should have been the important data to include, not the fluff!

Ideally it would even be drawn directly out of the game files itself, so that any changes would by updated dynamically.

Pretty sure about 75% of the info I have went looking for has been nonexistent thus far. :sad:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    qadams likes this.
  9. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Yea, it's practically useless.

Also, even the mechanics they do attempt to explain - I don't understand why they can't give actual numbers as opposed to vague descriptions. Things like war weariness decaying over time - what the hell does that even mean? Obviously yes, we know what it means but that piece of information is useless until I go into the xml or online and have somebody tell me the actual rate of decay.

there's virtually no reason that should need to be done. It handicaps anyone that doesn't bother to come to a website like this or read a wiki or dig through the games files in order to find out how the game their playing functions.

narmox and need my speed like this.
  10. zagosya

zagosya Chieftain

To be honest, some of the articles are done almost properly. For example, in Formations article they even explain that it's more beneficial to form an army or a corps with the rookie and experienced unit. That's actually very clear explanation. The two questions are:
    1) Why the hell the articlle is called "formations"? Why not "army" or "corps"?
    2) Why exactly this article has been written properly, with exact numbers and explanations, but most others not?

qadams likes this.
  11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Chieftain

If you've ever been involved in a large project, you would understand.

It's much more objectionable to have wrong numbers than no numbers. For example, suppose the documentation said that a commercial district got +2 adjacency bonuses for each river border, and you planned your entire city layout according to that, and then discover that you only got one bonus despite being adjacent to 3 river borders. You'd be upset!

It is very hard in a large project to keep track of all necessary places to change when something in the game changes. You need to impose a much more rigid change protocol, which is very time consuming. If they had actual numbers in the documentation for something rapidly changing like Civ 6, it would undoubtedly delayed the initial release by weeks, and every update by substantial periods of time. It would be nice to have the data, but I'd rather have the game and updates released earlier!

Gorbles likes this.
  12. qadams

qadams Bohemian

Perfectly said. I can only hope that as time goes by, the game designers will update and improve the Civilopedia... but if Civ V is any example, that's not likely to happen. The pedia in V was nearly useless at the beginning and still is today. :sad:

13. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Any chance someone could release a mod fixing the Civilopedia at least on game mechanics and hyperlinks? Inserting a back button? Adding the Civilopedia to the main menu? :(

14. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Crispy, that's absurd. So you'd neuter the entire thing on the off chance that somebody is going to make a typo. It's lazy either way. Also, my personal experience with projects of any size is irrelevant when there are countless videogames of various genres and complexities that have have ingame information tools that actually tell its players what's going on. Civilization isn't some super complex ultra large project that makes it an exception to every other videogame ever designed.

The information isn't comprehensive - players should not need to look online or dig through code to understand how a game works - there really isn't any argument that holds up against that, I'm afraid.

Chinese American and qadams like this.
  15. LoneDragon

LoneDragon Warlord

Hear, hear!

16. diamond geezer

diamond geezer Warlord

It's surprisingly awful. It would be laughingly easy to update as you developed. Ergo it smacks of simple cost saving - haven't they read about the ha'porth of tar?