1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrifying Glitch on DosBox Earth mode

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by AbCat, Mar 28, 2018.

1. AbCat

AbCat Chieftain

I've just lately been rediscovering Civ 1, one of my favourite childhood games, and was running a chieftain game on Earth because someone had said there was a limit of 48 cities, which I was sure wasn't true, and this game proved that point.

Now having done all that, sitting pretty comfortably, either completing the Manhattan Project or researching Future Techs triggered an amazing glitch on the Earth Map.

Four extra rows have appeared in the Arctic area, as you can see, I've actually now colonised some of the areas.

The squares in these areas have some unusual properties. Unresourced grassland can be moved along like a railroad, but it actually has zero food and cannot be irrigated or mined or anything.

Oh, and those barbarian nuclear units? Don't panic, they're not units at all, but squares with 32 food, 40 resources, and 71 trade. This makes these very fast growing cities indeed.

The only drawback is the graphics don't handle the extra 4 rows very well, so you kind of have to click lower down than you usually would to view the new area properly.

Yes, that city grew to a size of 25 in about as many turns. Let's have a look in there too:

The other danger is that even with Mass Transits, Recycling Centres, the Hoover Dam, and so on, using those Nuke squares can lead to some possibility of pollution.

I had managed to trigger this glitch once before, but some pesky barbarians ended up on an infinitely moving grassland square, and simply moved backwards and forwards for eternity, so it figures that it should be attainable again, if it's interesting to you.

I have uploaded a few more screenshots if you're interested. It's certainly brightened up what was a very dull game on Earth I was playing.

It reminds me a little of the HP Lovecraft novel, At The Mountains Of Madness, although these unchartered discoveries are in the Arctic, rather than the Antartctic. I find the presence of what initially looks like barbarian nuclear units, and those blood-pink tinges on some of the squares in the world map particularly chilling.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Attached Files:

BasilBerylium likes this.
  2. SWY

SWY Chieftain

I believe this bug happens when the Civilization Score screen overflows, overwriting in-memory game data. It happens when you own nearly all wonders and/or when you have too many citizens.
    Having 48 cities might be the cause.

3. Posidonius

Posidonius Chieftain

Welcome back to Civ1, the limit on cities is always 128.

With the Civ1-WIN tileset, making simple roads across water squares adds a tiny pink "glow" in the square's corners. Once you make a large enough patch of them, the pink corners meet up over blue water, and it makes it look like a sea of amethysts. I did that to a whole planet once, it was beautiful.

New and weird Arctic land has been reported here, recall reading about it in the archives, and if memory serves, the reports never ended well. If i remember a'right, the trouble was the enormous shield resources created in the new lands of Hy-Brasil, making pollution faster than can be cleaned up, even with 128 Settlers on cheat. Then again, if the Land Of Mu suddenly arises in your game, you shouldn't have to colonise it. The glitch only appears late in the game, and by that time you should already have a hundred cities of your own, and eyes on 28 likely parcels.

4. Mallagan

Mallagan Chieftain

I once built a city in the ocean, on the Amiga ECS/OCS version. I have no idea how the bug happened, but ocean turned into some land mass if I remember correctly (this was over 25 years ago)
    Fittingly, I named the city Atlantis :p

I don't remember if I could build any units in it, or what.

Another bug that happened quite recently in the AGA version, was that the map got distorted somehow, and the graphics started acting up. it got like... black in some spots, and the "industrial espionage" picture would load and merge into the map...
    really weird