Terrorism hits Iran again

Ramius75

Deity
Hope they catch the murderous perpetrator soon...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16501566.

A university lecturer and nuclear scientist has been killed in a car explosion in north Tehran.

Mostafa Ahmadi-Roshan, an academic who also worked at the Natanz uranium enrichment facility, and the driver of the car were killed in the attack.

The blast happened after a motorcyclist stuck an apparent bomb to the car.

Several Iranian nuclear scientists have been assassinated in recent years, with Iran blaming Israel and the US. Both countries deny the accusations.

Why would terrorists kill Iranian nuclear scientists? I'd think they'd try to hire them.

Is the CIA in Iran? :mischief:

This kind of intervention always creates more problems than it solves.

Disgusting. A main risk to my life is anti-academic terrorism. I can only imagine that this is state-sponsored, which makes it even more egregious

Smells more like Mossad than the CIA. The magnetic bomb is sort of an MO.

Then again, the article says he also had ties to some opposition candidates in Iran so someone might have knocked him off knowing his status as a nuclear scientist would mean all the blame would fall on the U.S./Israel.

In before someone justifies terrorism as long as it's targeted against the "bad guys".

Wait why would it be an Iranian internal hit job? That doesn't begin to make sense.

Wait why would it be an Iranian internal hit job? That doesn't begin to make sense.

Maybe our scientists were planning something the Revolutionary Guard got wind of and didn't like (defecting with nuclear secrets, say). Such are only pure speculation though.

Maybe our scientists were planning something the Revolutionary Guard got wind of and didn't like (defecting with nuclear secrets, say). Such are only pure speculation though.

So our scientists were planning on learning nuclear secrets from the Iranians? :crazyeye: That's far fetched.

This is the fourth Iranian nuclear scientist to die and the fifth to be targeted within the past two years. Whether or not this particular death was domestically motivated, it seems counter-intuitive for the the revolutionary guard to have a policy of killing its weapons smiths.

Short of finding the actual smoking gun, this seems pretty obvious... and I have no real problem with it. You don't want to run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

States do not directly engage in terrorism... it is more like an act of war...

This is the fourth Iranian nuclear scientist to die and the fifth to be targeted within the past two years. Whether or not this particular death was domestically motivated, it would be counter-intuitive for the the revolutionary guard to have a policy of killing its weapons smiths.

calling them "weapons smiths" might be a little too far fetched thou its unsure which stage they are close to having the bomb.

but it shows there is always 2 sides of a coin. who is good and who is the bad guy?

I vote this isn't terrorism, but a simple assassination. This act isn't meant to put fear into people (or why not design it to maximize collateral damage?), but to deprive Iran of nuclear expertise. I know one may interpret this as an act to terrorize the nuclear scientist community in the country, but I think that would be an added benefit and not the primary purpose of the act. That isn't to say assassinations are any more acceptable than terrorism. If Iran can figure out who did it, this constitutes an act of war, without a doubt.

This is entirely Mossad-style. I would expect the Israelis. Besides, America is quite multicultural, but we don't have many Islamic types and I doubt it was just some white guy cruising down the street with a bomb. Iran may catch onto that.

or why not design it to maximize collateral damage?
Because you are trying to put the fear into a specific group? What good would it do to kill some random civilians when simply trying to send the message, "You work on the Iranian nuclear program you die."

Because you are trying to put the fear into a specific group? What good would it do to kill some random civilians when simply trying to send the message, "You work on the Iranian nuclear program you die."

I think the Iranian government already sends the message that "if you are qualified and don't work on the nuclear program, you die." Thus, I don't think terrorizing them will work, when the scientists have no choice in the matter.

Also, I don't think terrorists much care which people they terrorize. They don't care if they contain the hysteria to only the intended targets.

Top Bottom