Terrorists suspected in attack in China's Muslim region that kills 16

Uighurstan was also independent, part of the Mongol Empire, probably had a few pieces in the Tibetan and old Samarkandian Empires, but now if you gave that region a plebiscite...they would likely vote independence. Especially if you had given that plebiscite when they WERE independent 50 years ago.

If China wants to keep that territory despite unrest, it's their problem to deal with it. No sympathy, and they better as hell keep the Olympians and travelers safe.

I sure if voting is allow for secession, most places will choose secession also. but we shall see also... Xinjiang does also have a large Han presence since 50 years ago.

I agree that if China wants to keep it, they will have to defend it.

p/s: If one day Xinjiang is allow to be independence and the Uigurs majority wants to banish all non Uigurs immigrants and confiscate their properties and make Xinjiang a muslim state, will you still support it?

Plarq, if you are really in China, you need to chill. I don't want to see you disapeared.

Nah, he's all right. Nothing's going to happen to him. Dissidents on the internet are a dime a dozen nowadays.

Now going to the plaza in front of city hall and making a speech while standing on a soapbox OTOH... :mischief:

I sure if voting is allow for secession, most places will choose secession also. but we shall see also... Xinjiang does also have a large Han presence since 50 years ago.

I agree that if China wants to keep it, they will have to defend it.

p/s: If one day Xinjiang is allow to be independence and the Uigurs majority wants to banish all non Uigurs immigrants and confiscate their properties and make Xinjiang a muslim state, will you still support it?

Perhaps. I know most states in the USA would not choose secession for one. Then again, the situation between the PRC and the Uighurs is completely different. An aggressive invasion annexed the land fifty some years ago, it was completely illegal.

And a large Han presence, sure. Thanks to what? PRC social engineering. I do believe the majority is still Uighur and muslim however, both of which seem rather repressed under the PRC.

Oh, and I would not support that. It sounds like something Mugabe would do. But just as Zimbabwe deserved independence from it's overbearing British masters, the Uighurs deserve it as well.

Perhaps. I know most states in the USA would not choose secession for one. Then again, the situation between the PRC and the Uighurs is completely different. An aggressive invasion annexed the land fifty some years ago, it was completely illegal.

And a large Han presence, sure. Thanks to what? PRC social engineering. I do believe the majority is still Uighur and muslim however, both of which seem rather repressed under the PRC.

Oh, and I would not support that. It sounds like something Mugabe would do. But just as Zimbabwe deserved independence from it's overbearing British masters, the Uighurs deserve it as well.

The Chinese first established a presence in Xinjiang during the Han dynasty.

The Chinese first established a presence in Xinjiang during the Han dynasty.

Isn't that the loose basis the PRC used to invade the land in the first place? "Oh well, Chinese have been here a while...so hand over your homeland!"

I've seen people harassed and intimidated by the Net Cop. Trust me, I know where it is safe--right here!
Netcops?! Glad those kind of thoughtpolice aren't popping up in the United States :hide:

The strongest argument will actually comes from the Qing Dynasty where Xinjiang is totally under the Qing control. The brief independence in 1944 were actually engineer by the Russian to wrestle Xinjiang control from China when the country was in a civil war... (aka much like the America civil war also) and after China was recovering from a World war 2.

I will say that the independence were more opportunistic than a real movement... after the Communist party won the civil war... they are merely trying to reunite the whole country again by annexing Xinjiang and Tibet.

Quoting ur words... if the Uigurs really wants to keep their territory. they will have to fight for it.

Communist and Terrorist killing each other America wins.

Xinjiang's case is impossible to resolve using historical claims. How far does one go back? That place swings in and out of China's orbit periodically depending on her strength. At times it was even the core of a strong Central Asian empire in itself. Even the Muslim Uighurs don't have an exclusive claim to the place. They themselves were late arrivals.

Quoting ur words... if the Uigurs really wants to keep their territory. they will have to fight for it.
Sadly, this is probably the only way. :( As always power flows from the barrel of a gun.

Netcops?! Glad those kind of thoughtpolice aren't popping up in the United States :hide:

Why you are surprised? We have a million Internet Policemen. They even have two cartoon characters (Jingjing and Chacha, spelled as Jing Cha--Police).

The only difference between Chinese National Security and US ones are their power abuses and extra-juridical power...

Top Bottom