1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[TOT] TES The Stormcloak Rebellion

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario Creation' started by Dadais, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Hi guys,

Those around here who played the fifth opus from The Elder Scroll may already be familiar with what the title implies.

Two evently matched faction, The Legit "Empire of Tamriel" (and it's puppet high king) and the rebel "Stromcloak" fight for dominance over the Nord province of Skyrim.

Smaller factions like "The Thalmor" are just wishing for the conflict to perpetuate to lower everyones' strengh, while reachmen after a crushing defeat 25 years ago seak for revenche and their own independance.

In this chaos, outlaws are everywhere on roads and keeps making their life out of foolish merchant which try to benefit from the war.

While the well-known RPG focus on making the player the heros of all within minutes, the idea here is to give a more mature experience from the conflict, putting aside (at least a little) the Dragonborn from this fight wich officially have no victor.

I'm building these days the map, a "grand map" shall correspond to the needs, and I'm interrested in trying to test out Catfishs' technique for creating units, throught I'm no sure i could get a good level result. I'll see.

If any wish to contribute, that would be awsome.

Spoiler :
    temp.png

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Very i intriguing way to build the map, I must say.

3. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Well, I'm using some existing map (credit to uesp wiki), then applying a grid on it to follow somehow the map pattern not to loose too much nor deform it.

Using Gimp and its sheets system, it allows to easyly hide then show back the upper grid I paint little by little with land color if needed.

Dumb way to build one ? :D

4. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

No actually I think it's a great way to build one. Much better than the way I build mine.

Anyway, I'd invite you to consider building this for ToTPP as opposed to MGE. First of all, you'll have more of an audience, and more people who can help you. Secondly, you'll "unlock the gates of lua scripting" and truly be able to capture this scenario exactly as you intend it, rather than trying to cram it in to the strict guidelines of civ as it were. Go check out some posts in the Scenario League forum for Over the Reich or Napoleon or Caesar to see just what is possible before you go too far down the rabbit hole on this one. You might love what you find.

5. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Truth is, I intended to build it for ToT rather than MGE.

Still no veteran with ToT, I'm afraid ToTPP is a little too much for me at the moment to exploit it properly.

Wouldn't a ToT base allow badass scenario designers to hatch an incredible scenario ?

/to report progress with map, two jarlsdom (from nine) are done, choices of lands uses were thought again to consider dumb AI behaviour (grassland went from "borderlands" to "settlements", "borderlands" were erased for "mountains", jungles from "settlements" to "rockyplains", hills from "rockyplains" to "snowed forest")
    Spoiler :
    temp.png

6. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Spoiler :
    That's it for today, three jarlsdoms out of nine completed, three in progress. Lands are settled.

desert -> hot springs
    plain -> plain
    grassland -> settlements
    forest -> forest
    hill -> snowed forest
    moutain -> mountain
    toundra -> snowed plain
    ice -> ice
    swamp -> swamp
    jungle -> rocky plain
    water -> water

temp.png

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020 at 5:19 PM
  7. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Even if you don't utilize lua, ToTPP will allow you considerable "base" advantages, such as significantly more units, terrain types, and event space. I'd recommend it.

8. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Rhaaaa you silly.
    I'm installing a second ToT directory then look for ToTPP to patch it in my virtual Xp-Civ2 Machine. Mmm I'll patch it after finishing this map, through.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  9. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

JPetroski likes this.
  10. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

I'm really looking forward to this!

11. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

JarlUlfrik.png
    Ouch.
    Guess I'll have to read @Catfish 's incredible explanations again.

/Still don't get it.
    JarlUlfrik.png
    Seems quite hard indeed

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  12. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

So, two distinct consumption of time these few days consisted of :

on the one side discover ToTPP, some associated scenario and its LUA's wonderful uses, giving thought for this scenario's mechanics (lua's bombarding opportunities are fascinating, while sadly seems limited to human use).

on the other side play with gimp and ressources to build units the Ulfric unit :cry: .
    There, i'm seriously meeting a diliemna :
    -using ingame screenshots or irl sold figurins (weapons more lifedesigned but worst final result), following catfish awsome tuto. Definitly don't have Catfish', tanelorn or farline Xp or artistic sense. Shall going on experimenting this way ?
    -cutting existing unit parts to adapt (recolor or other minor changes) and reassemble (in some lego-like fashion) units fitted to the theme, adjusting needed pixels. Shall build a first base and give it a try ?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  13. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Here's my suggestion: visit the fantasy unit thread in the Scenario League forums to get placeholder units that are reasonable. Then,build a functional scenario artists have faith will be released. Then, you might post in that same fantasy thread requests for certain units. If the artists support your project, and reasonably think it will be completed, there's a good chance they'll help out.

Try to limit requests to what you really need. Some stuff (like wolves and dragons and probably draugr) are already reasonably available. Use what has already been made to the greatest extent possible. Then, you're asking for a handful of units as opposed to 127.

14. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Haha I already donwloaded latest stuff seen in this thread since 2016, as well as in the pre-steam unit thread for medieval-like stuff (with many new additions).
    Guess that shall be a base of work rather than following Catfish's good tuto when armed withpoor talent :D

Terrain1 is nearly done, before going for Terrain2 then units.
    Played a little with catfishs' 24bits lands, creating some paved (rail)roads, limited to /4 thanks to ToTPP

Still didn't replace (grassland) farms with fort, ruins or settlements as layers are still not done.

Spoiler :
    temp.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020 at 4:50 PM
  15. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

The on unit activation event is triggered for AI units on every square, so you can check if a target is in range, and, if so (and the AI unit can make the attack), create a munition on the unit's square. The trick is to actually get the munition to attack. In my limited tests, I found that you should not give the munition the 'missile' attribute, since the AI uses missiles differently. I don't know how difficult it would be to get the AI to use ranged attacks in a reasonable manner, since (as far as I know) that's not something that anyone has put much effort into trying yet. On the plus side, you don't need to design an entire scenario to play around with AI ranged attack.

Dadais likes this.
  16. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Mountain, Forest, Snow Forest and Ruins layout done in terrain2
    Ruins specials, Irrigation, "Farm"(i+) and mine done in terrain1

temp.png
    Nordic Ruin in the center, Ruins left and up, on the right is the Dwemer ruin. -played a little with Cafishs' cities to come by with that-
    temp.png
    Mine became wooden camp -using the marvelous forest bonus from Napoleon scenario-, irrigation crops -using the marvelous irrigation from Napoleon scenario- and farm miraculous crops more or less (better naming sense may help indeed :mischief:)

17. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Terrain1 is completed, appart from pollution and nucpollution tile (if needed later)
    Layers are done for forts and ruins.
    Began to lay ruins, fort and roads on the map, applying small corrections in the way (6 households done out of 9).
    temp.png
    Only settlement layer is left to be done in terrain2.

18. JPetroski

JPetroski Deity

Will there be a subterranean map for all the crypts and dwemer ruins, or will this scenario be on a more "macro-level" detailing the rebellion overall?

19. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

I wished as an ideal to have a subterranean map so to figure significant undergrounds, some connected many not,
    and give body to a revengefull falmer civilisation.

On the other side, I guess it shall be prudent to first build an outdoor base ?
    I'm futhermore no confident with underground design at the moment.

20. Dadais

Dadais Chieftain

Terrain files are done.
    temp.png
    Map is reworked and corrected with its roads (in skyrim.sav).

Next are units !

Attached Files: