[TOT] TES The Stormcloak Rebellion -Alpha opened

You must be right indeed.
Not something I'm willing to do. So be it.

To be honest with you the standard ones work well because the colors are easy on the eye. With most scenarios that change these fields, I find I end up reverting to the originals, anyway.

To be honest with you the standard ones work well because the colors are easy on the eye. With most scenarios that change these fields, I find I end up reverting to the originals, anyway.
Well, I was planing to somehow keep the colors used, only proposing Skyrim-like dialog borders and (mainly) corners.
Had ideas for dialog too.
exemple.png

Well, to dust anyway :D

Well, that sort of stuff is neat (along with .dll's) but also could probably be added at a later time to spice things up. There's something to be said about having a "complete" scenario (I think I'm going to play with .dll's in HoF) but on the other hand, getting the nuts and bolts working first is best!

You're right. Back to Unit_advanced in rules.txt

I'm not trying to sound patronizing as you probably already know this but just as a reminder, lua can "fix" some things in unit_advanced (like native transport) that previously required hex editing. This is one of those fields that normally had to be set in stone (aside from hex editing) before the scenario was ever launched. Not sure if you're using transport mechanisms but I thought I'd throw it out there. I know that native transport needed a lua fix, I am not sure if the other transports (like from tranport location to location) does as well. Just thought I'd mention this before you have a maddening bug chasing expedition if you weren't already aware :)

FYI now that ToTPP loads mods from a mod folder (if you follow its instructions for modifying your mod rules.txt file) it should load your custom city.bmp without you having to replace the main ToT city.bmp. I was able to view the custom city.bmp in-game from the Empire Earth ToT mod when I tried it with the new mod folder mode although I had to switch the city view to the classic 'MGE style' city screen (by going to the View menu and selecting the City Layout toggle option) as the designer had not made a city background for the updated ToT style city screen.

I haven't had any experience yet with modding or loading up custom versions of the fancier ToT style city screen but I saw @CurtSibling posting some cool looking ToT style city screens he made earlier this year and his files had the same city.bmp filename as I've seen the classic ones use. So that makes me wonder if you're making a mod and you want to offer a custom version of both the classic city screen and the updated ToT city screen (to ensure all ToT players see something cool no matter their preference) then how do you do it? Perhaps do the classic MGE version in a city.gif file and the ToT version in a city.bmp file and ToT will hopefully load the right one for the right mode? If no one else has tried that before I'll have to experiment sometime as I'm curious!

EDIT: Test failed. ToT ignored the retro City.gif when ToT was set to retro mode. It only loads the City.bmp file when in ToT city mode.

Last edited:
EDIT: Test failed. ToT ignored the retro City.gif when ToT was set to retro mode.
Still, thanks for trying out. ;)
That shall be put aside for now. Anyone may see it after the release :) .

I guess Unit_advanced is done. Revised all units main stats (att, def, hit and fir), lowering them.

I'm beggining to set cities and rough estimation of population, using along the way the special "scenario eye" unit
exemple.png
* to explore first piece of land (x2 vision by roads under control, next will be x1 vision by roads not under control).
Got half displeased : Land unit, it doesn't see sea tiles 2 tiles away. By air, it lands in cities ! :D

*Must be some ff sprite ?

exemple.png

Placed Imperial cities, Stormcloak cities, Thalmor cities, Forsworn cities*.
Partially placed Neutral cities and savages (falmers & draugr) cities.

Altering few lands and placing some bonuses in the way.

The wild (beasts & dwemer) and Barbs are coming right after.
Bonuses shall be revised everywhere after this placement.

*Many will be given to barbs, with foreseen ability for forsworn to "earn" them instead of fighting them.

This picture is a great Christmas present :) Can't wait to play this one.

Realised while placing cities that some units could be needed or were somehow missing.

Guess I caught a liking in manipulating arts and sprites with paint and gimp
exemple.png

Aspirant Mage, Archmage, Warlock, Ghosts and Squeletons are joining the fray. Wondering if dremoras are needed. Not sure in Skyrim, where squeleton conjurer are already public enemies ?

Now, back to cities placement !

Falmer & Draugh "cities" are placed, few more neutrals too.

Beasts & Dwemer, Barb cities are now beeing placed.
Realised I stupidly forgot few more units.
exemple.png

Stendarr Vigilent, Companion and Silver Hand there.

Merry Christmas all.

Spoiler picture :
exemple.png

Half Barbs and Wilds cities are placed (surface & undergrounds indeed).
Took time to design Spriggans.

Last edited:
I guess all cities are placed.

Spoiler Blackreach :
Blackreach.png
Spoiler Karth River :
KhartRiver.png
Spoiler The Rift :
TheRift.png
Spoiler The Rift Undergrounds :
TheRiftUnderground.png

Next will be travels of 1-sight-radius scenario eyes to complete each civ sight of map.

Im beggining thinking strongly about "politics" and "quests" (technologies)

-small "Call To Arm" repeatable "policy" (reinforcement exchange with tech)

-"Jagged Crown", wherabouts, retrieval ... (reinforcements bonus), leading to :
-"Message to whiterun"(shall it be brought a little bit alea, like 75/25, or always follow the script ? -integration of Whiterun to a main side)

-Blackreach discovery - conquest (reinforcements bonus)
-Aetherium pieces then forge search (att, def, hit or fir bonus)
-Serena's Awakening (integration of volkihar vampire or dawnguard+Stendarr, other joins a main ennemy)

Interractions with Thalmors and Blades* ?
Interractions between companions and silver hands ?

Whishes or ideas of implementations are welcome (which doesn't mean they'll be implemented for sure by me you greedy).
To notice, there's nearly no unit slot left. :)

Last edited:
Are you aiming to have a scenario with multiple human factions here? This sort of adventure could be a fun MP game someday if 3 or more tribes had a reasonable chance to succeed.

Are you aiming to have a scenario with multiple human factions here? This sort of adventure could be a fun MP game someday if 3 or more tribes had a reasonable chance to succeed.
Imperials and Stormcloaks are both meant to be playable and as much as possible equally matched, with the same goal, controlling all Skyrim (or clues places of its Holds ?).
Forsworn are meant to be playable too. While less powerfull than their counterpart, they then shall have a somehow supposely easier ojective than the two others, aiming "only" at the Reach.

Thalmors are out at the moment, yet could be introduced as a playable faction with quite some work to raise its interest.

Savages (Falmers&Draugrs), The Wild (Dwemer & Beasts) and Neutrals Shall never be playable.

Lua shall be used to cover non-human deficiencies where needed, in addition to events, quests, some units generation, economic boost from hunt, etc.

Last edited:
With all the quests, the insanely gorgeous maps, and intrigue you have built into this, I'm getting a very "Jules Verne-y" vibe out of this one, which is great, as that is one of my favorite scenarios of all time (and one I have on a short list to remake some day). There's just nothing like a good open book of a scenario with tons of stuff to discover. I'm going to have to resist every temptation to peak behind the curtains and look at the code you write (especially hard as you actually know what you're doing with it, and no doubt have come up with some real treats). Keep it up!

Just failed a test with year increments (tried a -48 value).
To be sure, smallest properlly working value is -12, isn't it ?

I believe the lowest the system itself supports is monthly intervals and if you want anything less than that, you simply use "1" and rename "AD/BC" as "Turn." Then, use events to have a pop up each few turns giving the player an idea of what date it is (right now I'm having a pop up every 2 turns in HoF to alert the player of the new month but am mulling over if a pop up each and every turn would be better).

Top Bottom