[TOT] TES The Stormcloak Rebellion -Alpha opened

In Caesar, we were able to change the terrain on the fly without a batch file so you could just use the same map and change the terrain to a darker setting every other turn if you really wanted to. You don't need an extra map and you probably wouldn't want an extra map for this sort of thing as you'd want the map to stay persistent with unit placement, etc. no?

I mean scope creep is a real thing so don't let me pull your arm but this might be something that's less trouble than you think to implement for this current scenario and wouldn't require the player to exit every turn, either.
You are damn right !

I would then remove in game time and launch a message giving temporal clues at the beginning of each turn !
Too bad we can't "like" many time one same message :D .

edith : just tested it ingame with console,
"civ.ui.loadTerrain(0, "Terrain1night.bmp", "Terrain2night.bmp")"
game crashed :( (with win10)

Last edited:
I think you don't use " but ' for some reason - or at least that is what Grishnach did in Caesar.

civ.ui.loadTerrain(0, 'wTerrain1.bmp', 'wTerrain2.bmp')

Edit - also keep in mind that Caesar was the 1st lua scenario so who knows if something has changed since then

I think you don't use " but ' for some reason - or at least that is what Grishnach did in Caesar.

civ.ui.loadTerrain(0, 'wTerrain1.bmp', 'wTerrain2.bmp')

Edit - also keep in mind that Caesar was the 1st lua scenario so who knows if something has changed since then
Thanks. Tried again with civ.ui.loadTerrain(0, 'Terrain1night.bmp', 'Terrain2night.bmp'), crashed :/

My civ2totPP install in my virtual Xp machine doesn't launch anymore too ! :cry:

Sometimes the game crashes for me for a day or so and then comes back the next day - I can't imagine this would have been what would do that to you, but perhaps someone much smarter than me could shed some light!

Copied the install (still 15.1) in another disc an updated it to a 18.1 install.
Tried again, it worked with the 18.1 install.

On the other hand, made clean install in the Xp virtual machine, but couldn't manage to launch again ToTpp launcher, thus is stucked with ToT1.1 there :(

Are you absolutely sure that you spelled the name of the file exactly correctly, including capital and lowercase letters, and with the correct file extension (which is sometimes hidden by Windows)? And that the files are in the scenario directory?

This worked from the console in Over The Reich
Code:
civ.ui.loadTerrain(0,"Terrain5.bmp","Terrain6.bmp")
(I changed the low altitude day map to night terrain art.)

I'm using Linux+WINE, so it is conceivable that Windows 10 is the issue, but I got the same crash to desktop effect when I used the wrong name for the file.

On the other hand, made clean install in the Xp virtual machine, but couldn't manage to launch again ToTpp launcher, thus is stucked with ToT1.1 there :(

Haven't tested on my own XP machine, but I'm just double checking that you noticed that in the TOTPP0.18.1 post, there is a different link for the extra libraries needed for Windows XP.

Are you absolutely sure that you spelled the name of the file exactly correctly, including capital and lowercase letters, and with the correct file extension (which is sometimes hidden by Windows)? And that the files are in the scenario directory?

This worked from the console in Over The Reich
Code:
civ.ui.loadTerrain(0,"Terrain5.bmp","Terrain6.bmp")
(I changed the low altitude day map to night terrain art.)

I'm using Linux+WINE, so it is conceivable that Windows 10 is the issue, but I got the same crash to desktop effect when I used the wrong name for the file.
As stated in the last message,

It crashed the game with ToTPP 15.1
It worked fine with ToTPP 18.1

My fault for sticking to old versions :)

Haven't tested on my own XP machine, but I'm just double checking that you noticed that in the TOTPP0.18.1 post, there is a different link for the extra libraries needed for Windows XP.
I met the issue with clean new install of 0.15 too.
ToTLauncher simply doesn't launch with no message. The extra libraries issue gives a ".dll missing" error message before launching.
With 0.18 AND libraries installed, it won't launch either. Solution may be in the virtual machine settings :/

As stated in the last message,

It crashed the game with ToTPP 15.1
It worked fine with ToTPP 18.1

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were writing about. That said, civ.ui.loadTerrain should work with 15.1, since Caesar was released on or before that version.

mmmm. Mitigated with the night graphical result :

exemple.png

exemple.png

Rapids and Icebergs,
Cities are catching the eye, aren't they ?

OK, so, the graphics probably aren't "quite" what you'd want (it would be great if we could change all graphics files so you could dim everything) but I'd ask the question - is the gameplay going to be worth it? I think you could do some very interesting things with the gameplay personally and thinks that trumps the rest of the art being a little bright. You could always include darker graphics and a batch file for folks who simply can't deal with it, but it wouldn't bother me.

OK, so, the graphics probably aren't "quite" what you'd want (it would be great if we could change all graphics files so you could dim everything) but I'd ask the question - is the gameplay going to be worth it? I think you could do some very interesting things with the gameplay personally and thinks that trumps the rest of the art being a little bright. You could always include darker graphics and a batch file for folks who simply can't deal with it, but it wouldn't bother me.
Hey hey !
Not in the bible in civ.ui library, what's this "loadImage" function in 0.18.1 ??

exemple.png

Missed the explanation if already given. Sorry bothering you, @TheNamelessOne and @Prof. Garfield .
Didn't figure to find quick the "manual" too.

loadImage
civ.ui.loadImage(filename, [x], [y], [width], [height]) -> image

Loads an image (BMP or GIF) from `filename`. Optionally accepts `x`, `y`, `width` and `height` to load part of the image.

This allows you to add images to your text boxes. @civ2units uses it in the reformation scenario.

Code:
 local myImageObject = civ.ui.loadImage(filename)
local dialog = civ.createDialog()
dialog:addImage(myImageObject)
dialog:addText("This is an image")
dialog:show()

OK, so, the graphics probably aren't "quite" what you'd want (it would be great if we could change all graphics files so you could dim everything) but I'd ask the question - is the gameplay going to be worth it? I think you could do some very interesting things with the gameplay personally
That would look so much tasty this way (quick try, units shall be reworked, giving torches and figuring half assed light effects) :
exemple.png

On gameplay part,
-I'd see some obvious power changes to units indeed on one side.
-On the other side, I'd tweek the time so it represent day to day fight, more in phase with the rpg game movements, while i was going for monthy turns.

Not many much ideas at the moment.
Head is already full of exploration expansions and 6 special event techs/techlines to implement after Alpha.
This deliberation (Day&Night), thus exploitation if kept, shall come once this is done.

Last edited:
Describe.txt is completed, so is the exploration system structure (with little set benefit at the moment).

Just gave trade routes, corrected by the way a small error with minor consequence on neutral AI behaviour.
Also defined attitudes and treaties.

I'm ajusting scenario parameters then ... shall launch a first batch of playtest !

:lol: Don't feel bad. On my latest playtest, I had an army of Patton's running around Algeria!

Got an issue with teleporters, which don't seem willing to work. :sad:

Found the issue, guess I wrote teleport rules too late.
Shall get them done with Lua

Last edited:
First playtest without bug encountered.
Yet, guess there are balance issue, and the beginning of the game brings too much chaos to my taste.

-Shall reduce the number of units present at the beginning (barb, savages, the wild, neutrals)
-Shall reduce projectiles power (att).
-Shall think again about units power values

Top Bottom