1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Testing Civ for openers

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by pkaem, Apr 16, 2019.

1. pkaem

pkaem Chieftain

Hi,
    since I can't decide what kind of opener fits best I want to do some benchmarking. Perhaps deity because the main focus should be what does better in regards to opening builds, magnus, pingala, monument timings, army building and ancesteral hall. Which civ would you suggest? Any ideas on testing conditions? Every input appreciated.

2. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Deity. Canada. Pangea. All other standards.

Canada because they're a vanilla civ BUT as long as you send out embassies no one will DOW on you.

Consequently, no variance, unlike other civs where you have to watch out fo ran early DOW.

3. pkaem

pkaem Chieftain

Okay, thanks for the input. Good point.

4. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Huge pangea map with only 4-5 civs. No early rushes. MarigoldRan made a good suggestion though.

5. Furycrab

Furycrab Chieftain

Isn't that completely unrealistic testing since you do have some input on if you get early dowed based on how many units you ultimately produce and Canada can get away with it and run absurdly greedy lines?

Sometimes you don't have much say in it, like if you start next to Monty with little to no obstacles between you on Deity, but most of the time you do.

Part of what makes Canada interesting in the early game against AI is that you can reliably do absolute shenanigans like Skip Archery for 50 turns, or pump out 2-3 Settlers on as little as 1 Slinger.

6. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

It's a good way to see how good you are at econ management early game.

Builder, Settler, Settler as Canada. LOL.

7. Furycrab

Furycrab Chieftain

I still find myself going to Scout first, now it's even better since the AI doesn't murder every CS on the map before you get to meet them so it's typically a few quests you can complete for some free Cap yields which offsets the opportunity cost of the Builder or Settler quite nicely.

I kinda agree, but it's going to be build orders/Econ management that will only work a low % of games with other Civs or on significantly lower difficulty settings. I feel like if you want a more Vanilla test, go with something like Spain.

8. pkaem

pkaem Chieftain

It is possible to get away with scout, settler, settler. Or even scout 2x,settler 2x. As stated by furycrab scouts are really much more rewarding. You may need to buy a builder or pray for a hut builder, because it's too late otherwise. Depending on map. My feelings from some testing are, the games that force you to war early not taken into consideration, that the map and it's layout is the most relvant part of chosing a play style.

9. Archaelicos

Archaelicos Chieftain

I've only been playing deity for about a month, but the biggest challenge I experience is the early expansion phase. I usually start with a scout unless I've got something interesting for my builder to do RIGHT NOW. As in, I can research Mining and pick up a luxury resource right now.

Otherwise, I go scout to reveal some map, and my early tech strategy follows the map. I like the scout because I prefer to go FT over Craftsmanship first. FT leads into Early Empire and cheaper settlers, and the scout helps find city-states (which inspires the first government civic), find AIs to trade with (eureka to Writing, era score, AI to trade luxuries to for gold), scout new city spots, find goodie huts, find barb camps to hunt for era score and unit XP, etc. I find that if I don't get a scout out, unless my civ has an early UU/UB, I often have an early dark age. That said, if I've got a potentially belligerent AI nearby, I won't hesitate to switch to builder/craftsmanship to pick up Agoge and churn out 3-4 units for defense.

Then, there's sort of a judgment call to make as to whether to go on the offensive now that I've got the start of an army, or switch back to a more passive play style. It depends on map, who I'm playing as, who my neighbors are, have they DOW'd me already, are they likely to. I haven't gotten good at making that decision yet, in part because I haven't developed the war skills yet at deity, so conquest is always unappealing to me. I simply do not understand how you guys do it. I take one city and it's at negative a billion loyalty and it flips in 3 turns.

10. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

You can scout with a 1-charge builder.

11. Archaelicos

Archaelicos Chieftain

Very true, but does this work all that well? I thought builders did not get the movement bonuses that scouts do. And a 1-charge builder obviously can't improve 3 tiles, so you're not unlocking Craftsmanship. And it can't defend itself, so if you find any barbs, it's going to get taken and probably recovered by an AI. Seems risky!

12. pkaem

pkaem Chieftain

All together my testing really verfied the assumption that you have to play the map. With space and a good starting location you can have two settlers, a worker and 1-2 scouts out by around t35,super greedy. If you try that boxed in you get dowed by t20. It much better to build a horse, sword or knight push in this case. If you have a really good map it seems that three cities into ancestoral hall is a close to optimal route.

13. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

It's for scouting surrounding area. As long as you don't move it too far away it's fine.

14. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Chieftain

Best Scout in the game is a Monumentality Builder with one charge left. They travel through water like they are on skis.