TETurkhan Test of Time (Map & Mod)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - User-created Maps' started by TETurkhan, Aug 9, 2002.

1. azazel93

azazel93 Aspiring World Dictator

I have a question TE, on your Lost World map, why are there craters? just curious...lol.

2. TETurkhan

TETurkhan Game Developer

The Craters are related to the story of the Lost World. I have never posted anything regarding it until now... So here for the first time is a sneak preview of the story... Enjoy...

The Lost World Story

The First Intelligent Life on Earth
    Aliens are really advanced reptiles that use to live on Earth millions of years ago. A tenth planet exists in our solar system, its very small and has multiple moons many of them small meteors caught in its gravitational pull. It orbits the Sun every Five thousand years and a millions of years ago, this orbit took it on a collision course with Earth. At that time dinosaurs roamed the world and some of them had developed into very advanced intelligent humanoid looking beings. Capable of space flight and realizing they were doomed, they went about saving what they could of their civilization. Once learning the orbit of the 10th they realized that even if they survived the impact there would be another further collision millions of years in the future. Thus they abandoned Earth and undertook colonizing the 10th planet as it passed by… For many Millennia since, they have continued to live on the 10th planet. Using their advanced technology they managed to adjust to the climatic challenges brought on by the planets unusual orbit – basically going into stasis for thousands of years and awaking when the planet became heated again by the Sun. Each time they passed by the Earth they observed it with keen interest, occasionally sending a small spacecraft to observe but careful never to interfere with the evolving life forms. 10,000 years ago from the present (2071AD) as the 10th planet past by Earth the Aliens learning from their scout ships became curious about a new and recently evolving species (the humans) and sent a science mission to Earth. They soon realized the Humans great capacity for learning, and this created great concern & debate amongst the aliens. Some felt the humans were a kindred species, highly intelligent and very similar in many ways to themselves. They wanted to assist the humans in light of the certain doom that awaited them in the future. Others felt it best not to interfere and let life continue on the planet on its own and some even seeing the human as a future threat. In the end they chose to do nothing and left the humans to their fate. One Alien Piromitas, however felt compelled to help the Humans and secretly made brief contact with a people around the Black Sea called the Atlanteans. Coming in from the sky in his Pyramid/Saucer shaped ship, he taught the Atlanteans Mathematics, physics, passing on to them all kinds of knowledge and though the contact was brief it nevertheless made a huge impact. The Atlanteans Civilization flourished and they reigned supreme for almost 5000 years. They became incredibly advanced and their city of Atlantis become the most magnificent the world had ever seen. It was not to last though, within a hundred years, the Mediterranean Sea overran the banks of the Dardanelles and poured into the Black Sea basin causing a Great Cataclysmic Flood often referred to in ancient text. The Atlanteans had been warned about this by Piromitas, but in their glory they became arrogant and foolish. All cities around the fresh water lake were swallowed by the sea, including the great city of Atlantis. The Atlantean Civilization disappeared forever. A few however managed to escape, and took refuge aboard an ark which eventually landed on Mt. Ararat and with them passed on the knowledge that had been handed down by the great being from the sky. In time this knowledge was spread to others eventually giving rise to rise a number of civilizations, one around Egypt, others in the Mesopotamia region and some even further out in the farthest corners of the world. Structures like the Pyramids were built in Egypt and later in South America, both influenced by what humans had seen thousand of years before.

INTRO STORY OF SCEANARIO - The Coming of the End
    In the year 2004 astronomers on Earth make an astonishing discovery of a tiny planet, the 10th one of our solar system and call it ‘Sedna’. It was soon learned that one of Sedna’s meteor moons is on a collision course with the Earth. All of humanity braces for the inevitable. Millions flock to churches, mosques, Synagogues and temples fearing the Apocalypse –the end of the world– the day of reckoning. In many areas looting and rioting ran rampant as complete anarchy ensues. Governments desperately try to rally their people and in the face of certain doom they succeed. For the first time in human history all nations put aside their differences and scramble to find a way to save what they can of humanity. Scientists work around the clock for over the course of the next 50 years, exploring any and all options. Eventually, a plan to create stasis chambers deep underground and scattered throughout the Earth is chosen as the best option – the hope being that a few will survive. The European Union as well as all other Organizations each mobilized materials & manpower in order to undertake the creation of the stasis chambers. Committees are formed in order to select the finest people from each ethnic and cultural background. Scientists, engineers, all the greatest people in humanity are selected to be frozen in the stasis chambers which are set to initiate once the environment stabilizes after the impact.

(there is more but this is all I will post here ;))

© 2003 T.E.Turkhan

3. rocketman6920

rocketman6920 Chieftain

I like the storyline for the lost world, sounds cool. and ive been waiting for 2.0 to come out forever and am happy to see a map for it. Just want to make a correction in ur background. Its Tectonic Plates, not Teutonic. The Teutoni were a ancient germanic tribe who invaded northern italy in the 1st century B.C.

4. TETurkhan

TETurkhan Game Developer

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know how I and everyone I had review the story missed it.

5. Jaguar

Jaguar Lurker

That's a great storyline. Do you still plan to release the other scenarios at the same time as 2.0?

6. PCHighway

PCHighway Pacific Coast Highway

TETurkhan, the map does look much better when viewing with Snoopy's terrain pack.

Hey guys. I've heard that many of you dislike the dinosaurs that came in some of the previous TET versions. While they did take much of the historical accuracy away, they served a purpose of expanded exploration and an overall feeling of bringing the map alive. In order to get rid of them and fill their place at the same time, TETurkhan came up with the idea of using animals. The problem with this is that there are few available animal graphics we can use.
    I've posted a unit request thread, which if it gets lots of support would help make the dinos-to-animals a reality for TET 2.0.

Check out the thread here

7. Jaguar

Jaguar Lurker

Animals would be great. Without animals, the next best thing is to just make appropriate human barbarian units of the same strength. That should be a fairly easy project.

But I love the dinosaurs. :thumbsup:

8. deo

deo Emperor

I like the story and one thing: Sedna Is the 11th Planet of our Solar system, Quorar is the 10th ;)

9. Demon_Axe

Demon_Axe Chieftain

looks awesome

10. TETurkhan

TETurkhan Game Developer

• Yes, the scenarios and Test of Time will be released at the same time - one install for them all.
    • I need you people to support the thread PCHighway is talking about - we need to have these animal units created to bring the map to life

11. Jaguar

Jaguar Lurker

Will that mean the end of the dinosaurs? I thought they were funny. :(

12. PCHighway

PCHighway Pacific Coast Highway

What is this? The dinosaur support group of America? Couldn't be! Otherwise you would be trying to kick the habit! ;)
    Don't worry; I'm sure you will get more than your fill of dinos in The Lost World scenario.
    Posted again in that thread I mentioned. Since there seem to be so many fans of dinosaurs here (all one of you!), you might want to check it out. There is a preview of the Mesosaur. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=96408

13. Jaguar

Jaguar Lurker

I just liked the dinosaurs because I remember when I got PTW, I went in the editor and looked at a lot of the content that came with it. When I got to TET's mod, I was at first amazed by the excellence of the map, and all those cities everywhere and the 31 civs at a time (new in PTW). And then I looked at Africa and saw dinosaurs running around in the jungles, and I thought that was really cool. My first game was as the Incas, just so that I could mess around with Dinos. (the T-Rex killed two workers and the warrior that was defending them)

But the animal unit requests still have my support, regardless. We need animal barbarians running around.

14. TETurkhan

TETurkhan Game Developer

I think we can keep some dinos in some remote part of the world :p

15. Jaguar

Jaguar Lurker

Yay!

I suspect that the evil anti-dinosaur lobby will ask for their removal anyway, though.

16. azazel93

azazel93 Aspiring World Dictator

Question:, this may have been asked somewhere else in thread, but what civs will be in the test of time version? will it be using the same civs from 1.93?, or civs from conquests, example: hittites, sumerians, byzantinians, ect....?

17. Jaguar

Jaguar Lurker

I assume that the 1.93 civs will remain for the most part. He could possibly switch a few, but I doubt that TET will eliminate many of his civs just to overcrowd the Middle East and Europe.

18. tjedge1

tjedge1 Writer of writerly things

If I recall, TET is going to have different civs depending on what era the scenario starts in. For example, no Americans in BC times. No Rome in modern times. Please don't ask how again, just know it's possible. :thumbsup:

19. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

:lol: :lol:

Tet would never commit himself to a date...it will just be released on a Wednesday some time in the future. Probably just after Civ4 is released :mischief:

20. TETurkhan

TETurkhan Game Developer

Busting my balls huh Kittenofchaos? :)

Well, I guess you never forgave me for that MP game we had almost a year ago. What happened let me think back…

Oh yes, you had peace with me but you insisted on sending some units deep in my territory. Then one turn when seeing an unprotected settler of mine go by one of you units (in my territory) you did a surprise attack and killed it and started a war. Within a few turns you bribed a number of computer Civs to join in the war against me. I was the most powerful at the start of the war, but I could not stand up to 3 Civs attacking at once and Chieftness the only other human player didn't get involved maintaining her neutrality with all. Of the Civs you bribed Germany was the most powerful and I could not hold them off.

Realizing the war was lost no matter what I did, I chose instead of a slow death to do something radical. I offered peace to the Germans and as a part of that deal gave them all my cities except one which was farthest away from you. They of course accepted and in one turn Germans became the ultimate super power. I loved that strategy cause in a single turn your force of invaders ready to take over my cities was now being told to get the hell out of the 'newly acquired' German lands. You could not defy the Germans and so through my ingenious strategy I stole what would have surely been your glorious conquest. After a couple of turns I took a few settlers, put them on a boat to some far off corner of the map that had yet to be explored - leaving you to deal with the now overbearing & unstoppable Germans.

I know since that fateful day you have never forgiven me for snatching victory from your hands Kitty Kat. I guess I will have to tolerate such posts, nagging me, prodding me to get done with the map etc…

Let this be an example to all of you, Civ is a very serious game and scars some people for life. Sadly that is the case here with Kitty Kat. :p