1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Text File Comparing Tool & Building Visibility

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Jean Elcard, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

Two questions I couldn' find an answer for with a quick forum search:

1. Is there a good free file comparing tool, which can show me somehow, what is different in two distinct text files?

2. Is there a way to prevent a city building from showing up visible on the map? I mean sometimes it should be visible and under some conditions it shouldn't. I was searching a switch in the SDK to do it, but couldn't find it. I wouldn't like to have to create a second identical xml building just without art.

Thx for any help.

2. Dale

Dale Deity

3. Impaler[WrG]

Impaler[WrG] Civ4:Col UI programmer

If you want to make buildings change appearance by any system other then the Era based system and or the players Building Style value then I think your out of luck. What kind of situations did you want this to happen under?

4. Jean Elcard

Jean Elcard The Flavournator

Very nice. That looks really promising. Thanks Dale.

Hm, ok then. It's for my "Construction Sets" mod. It includes "external" buildings. Means, there are buildings, which aren't real in the city, because they are actually improvements near the city. To let them give bonuses like real city buildings, I chose to add the proper building (marked as external) to the cities list of buildings, if the corespondent improvement had been built.

The problem: In case of a lighthouse for example, you would see it twice. Once as the improvement near the city and once as a building in the city. It's only a visual thing, but I would have prefered to solve it anyway.

It's the same problem as with the so called free buildings. Stonehenge only counts as a obelisk in every city, but you can actually see them in the city as long as stonhenge doesn't become obsolete.