Text Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
I thought it was time to do another round of text error corrections, aka some spring cleaning in summer! (or winter for our southern hemisphere members). So in this thread, list out text that is outdated or unclear. I'll start with a couple. Add your notes down and I will try to summarize them into one list here later on.

Note: This is NOT a balance thread. We are not going to debate strengths or say "well the text is X for now but really should just be changed to a new mechanic....etc etc". The goal is to record the text for the mechanics as is, not as you would like them to be.

1) Drill Promotion: +10% CS, +25% CS when attacking cities (text implies that it works as defense against cities, which I believe was debunked recently).

2) Shock Promotion: +10% CS, add 5% bonus to flanking modifier (old text from before flanking change).

The monastery gives 3:c5food:3:c5science:1:c5faith:, but the help description says 3:c5food:2:c5science:1:c5faith:. I can't think of another building in civ that even lists its base yields in the help text. It should probably just say "Religious building purchased with faith. Unlocked by adopting the Fealty policy tree."

There are a lot of UA descriptions that, while not incorrect, are either needlessly wordy, imprecise, or don't have a good flow. Also lots of unnecessary commas:
"When you complete a Historic Event, your [ICON_CAPITAL] Capital gains +1 [ICON_RESEARCH] Science and [ICON_CULTURE] Culture, and 15% towards the progress of a random [ICON_GREAT_PEOPLE] Great Person."
vs.
+1 [ICON_RESEARCH] Science, +1 [ICON_CULTURE] Culture, and 15% towards the progress of a random [ICON_GREAT_PEOPLE] Great Person in your [ICON_CAPITAL] Capital when you complete a Historic Event."

"Receive [ICON_GOLD] Gold and [ICON_PEACE] Faith for each enemy unit you kill. When you complete a favorable Peace Treaty, a [ICON_GOLDEN_AGE] Golden Age begins."
vs.
"Earn [ICON_GOLD] Gold and [ICON_PEACE] Faith by killing enemy Units. A [ICON_GOLDEN_AGE] Golden Age begins whenever you complete a favorable Peace Treaty."

"When you complete a Policy Branch, adopt a Belief, or choose your first Ideology, receive a free Technology."
vs.
"Receive a free Technology whenever you complete a Policy Branch, adopt a Belief, or choose your first Ideology, "

etc. Strunk & White levels of nit-picking, but I stare at the civ select screen a lot.

Last edited:
I thought the German Hanse was a bit underwhelming the first time I read the description of it because it states that it provides "+4% :c5production: Production for each Trade Route from this City to a City-State". The "from this City" bit is misleading. The way the UB seems to work is grant all of your Cities that have a Hanse built in them +4% :c5production: Production for each City-State Trade Route in your Civilization (regardless of what City that Trade Route originates from).

To imply that the Hanse grants +4% :c5production: Production for each Trade Route from this City to a City-State would imply that if you had two trade routes from Berlin to a City-State and one Trade Route from Munich to a City-State (and both Berlin and Munich had a Hanse in them, obviously), than Berlin would receive +8% :c5production: Production and Munich +4% (in reality, both Berlin and Munich should gain +12% :c5production: Production as a result of there being a total of three City-State Trade Routes). The description should instead read "All Cities with a Hanse receive +4% :c5production: Production for each City-State Trade Route in your Civilization", or something to that effect.

Also (and I know this is more of a minor nitpick but regardless), the "Strategy" section for the Hanse located in the Civilopedia mentions something about having three City-State Trade Routes and gaining +15% :c5production: Production for it, which is wrong as that should provide 12%. This one line seems to date back to when the Hanse provided +5% :c5production: Production per City-State Trade Route.

I thought the German Hanse was a bit underwhelming the first time I read the description of it because it states that it provides "+4% :c5production: Production for each Trade Route from this City to a City-State". The "from this City" bit is misleading. The way the UB seems to work is grant all of your Cities that have a Hanse built in them +4% :c5production: Production for each City-State Trade Route in your Civilization (regardless of what City that Trade Route originates from).

To imply that the Hanse grants +4% :c5production: Production for each Trade Route from this City to a City-State would imply that if you had two trade routes from Berlin to a City-State and one Trade Route from Munich to a City-State (and both Berlin and Munich had a Hanse in them, obviously), than Berlin would receive +8% :c5production: Production and Munich +4% (in reality, both Berlin and Munich should gain +12% :c5production: Production as a result of there being a total of three City-State Trade Routes). The description should instead read "All Cities with a Hanse receive +4% :c5production: Production for each City-State Trade Route in your Civilization", or something to that effect.
I'm pretty sure that the Hanse was supposed to be changed from caring about all trade-routes to just trade-routes from the city it's built in.

I'm pretty sure that the Hanse was supposed to be changed from caring about all trade-routes to just trade-routes from the city it's built in.

Interesting. I noticed that the description was inaccurate a while ago and I had always assumed that the text was just misleading.

Anyway, I just tested it myself for the sake of thoroughness and the Hanse seems to still care about all City-State trade-routes. How long ago was this change proposed?

Grocer doesn't specifically say what its reduction to poverty is, just that it does it.

Grocer doesn't specifically say what its reduction to poverty is, just that it does it.
I think there might be a few instances of this. It's probably meant to be interpreted as -1 poverty, as is the case with basically every other needs reduction buildings in the game. Now that I think of it, are there any buildings that even give greater/less than -1 reduction for any given need?

Military Academy has a +15% Land Unit in the small summary description at top, but does not mention anything in the main explanation.

The Civilopedia description for Egypt's Burial Tomb UB claims that the building provides 3 :c5faith: Faith. In reality, it provides 1 :c5faith: Faith.

This also shows up on the tooltip which appears on the Leader Selection Screen when hovering over the icon for the UB (which might be a result of that one tooltip being based on the Civilopedia entry).

Attachments

• BT3Faith.png
    BT3Faith.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 134
All reformation buildings claim you need 20% of global followers to build them, while it has been changed to 15% some time ago.

All reformation buildings claim you need 20% of global followers to build them, while it has been changed to 15% some time ago.

I believe the number of followers required (and also the number of available religions) varies with map size. It would be ideal if the applicable number could be inserted - failing that, perhaps the text should be nonspecific, or say "15% on a standard size map".

Aqinu and I have both worked on text fixes recently; I can add whatever's in this thread to my next pull request (which I'm currently working on) if you wish. Would save you the trouble of organizing it all :)

Religious follower % does scale by map size.

There are a lot of UA descriptions that, while not incorrect, are either needlessly wordy, imprecise, or don't have a good flow. Also lots of unnecessary commas:
"When you complete a Historic Event, your [ICON_CAPITAL] Capital gains +1 [ICON_RESEARCH] Science and [ICON_CULTURE] Culture, and 15% towards the progress of a random [ICON_GREAT_PEOPLE] Great Person."
vs.
+1 [ICON_RESEARCH] Science, +1 [ICON_CULTURE] Culture, and 15% towards the progress of a random [ICON_GREAT_PEOPLE] Great Person in your [ICON_CAPITAL] Capital when you complete a Historic Event."

I see your post gained several likes. Personally, I prefer a form that starts "When you complete a historic event..." as this immediately tells me what this ability is all about, without having to read the whole sentence.

I don't intend on touching the UA text, so we won't get in each other's way, at any rate.

Right now I'm going through every line of leader dialog in the BNW and base game files one by one to find typos or grammar/spacing errors. It is thrilling work. :)

I find it a little bit sad that Firaxis apparently didn't even run spellcheck when creating leader dialog; Hiawatha wondering what I'm doing in the "wildnerness", for instance.

As you may have noticed, I have somewhat of an obsession with the diplomacy AI.

I see your post gained several likes. Personally, I prefer a form that starts "When you complete a historic event..." as this immediately tells me what this ability is all about, without having to read the whole sentence.

This is the way I also made changes to the World Wonders descriptions, with the same format, "when...earn", because I thought that the sentence should follow to order of actions, when you do this you expect to earn that, for me personally is much easier to follow I thought that other feel the same way...

I actually edit English text for clarity at my job, and its slow during the summer. I'd be happy to help improve some of these, could anyone tell me what file building or wonder text is located in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom