Thai Romanization is weird

Uncle Paul

Bittereinder
I noticed, when I was conquering the Thai as Japan for UHVs, that the Thai romanization is really weird...i.e. Saigon and Hanoi were Singxn and Hanxy...I don't know what romanization system this is, but it clearly comes from Google Translate's automatic romanization of Thai.
I propose, as an alternative, the RTGS (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_General_System_of_Transcription)

The official romanization of Thailand (like how we use Pinyin for Chinese), and it makes much more sense.
Saigon would be "Saingon" under this system, and Hanoi would still be Hanoi. Singapore would be Singokpo. Also, it would match with Ayutthaya, which is already romanized with this system (according to the Google Translate system, it would be Xyuthya)

Can you provide a full list of names that need to be changed? I will not manually look up and transliterate Thai city names.

Can you provide a full list of names that need to be changed? I will not manually look up and transliterate Thai city names.
Is there an easier way to check which Thai names are already in the game than to try and read the CityNameManager...when I open it in Notepad, none of the columns are lined up, and it's very hard to read and make sure I don't miss any.

You can select the whole block of city names and paste it into a spreadsheet editor.

I'm guessing Google uses the ISO 11940 transliteration standard, which is meant for academic use by preserving all features of Thai phonology in Latin letters, unlike the RTGS. But it's silly to use it for DoC considering that it makes heavy use of diacritics that we can't display. E.g. Saigon should be "Sị̀ng̀xn".

the X is used in Google translate for the placeholder vowel letter อ, which changes based on the vowel markings attached to it but by itself still makes the open-mid back rounded vowel - ɔ (aw/ar). Google translate in general does a really poor job of transcribing Thai.

This is something that's annoyed me for awhile so I'd be glad to look at the city list in WB and propose changes in a couple weeks once I get off my Civ-cleanse break.

Yes to be clear I definitely agree that the RTGS is the preferable transliteration and would like to transition to it. Honestly, I don't recall how the existing Thai names have made it into the mod, and I don't remember researching it myself.

So if someone makes a list of transliterations that are supposed to change, I will update them. But I don't have time to find all the currently existing names and research their transliteration myself, because I want to get to release reasonably soon.

Yes to be clear I definitely agree that the RTGS is the preferable transliteration and would like to transition to it. Honestly, I don't recall how the existing Thai names have made it into the mod, and I don't remember researching it myself.

So if someone makes a list of transliterations that are supposed to change, I will update them. But I don't have time to find all the currently existing names and research their transliteration myself, because I want to get to release reasonably soon.
I'll try to do it this week. Will the release be 1.17?

That's the goal, but it's likely there will be a quick succession of minor releases before that.

Yeah there is not going to be a big difference between future 1.16.x releases and 1.17.0. The latter release mostly exists to signify that the development of that particular set of features is done.

Can I expect anything to happen here?

I don't mind doing it. It looks like this tool is as good as online Thai transliteration tool get: http://www.thai-language.com/?nav=dictionary&anyxlit=1

For the benefit of clarity, what needs to be checked/fixed is all the names on the right of the Thai section of the renaming rules in CityNameManage.py, plus other occurrences of those names in the renaming rules, plus those names and maybe some others in the Thai area of the map?

Code:
#Language: Thai
{
    "Pataliputra"    :    "Banpatlikham",
    "Jakarta"        :    "Cakarta",
    "Sundapura"        :    "Cakarta",
    "Chengdu"        :    "Cheingtu",
    "Chongqing"        :    "Chngching",
    "Ha Noi"        :    "Hanxy",
    "Guangzhou"        :    "Kwangcow",
    "Bandar Melaka"    :    "Malaka",
    "Manila"        :    "Manila",
    "Palembang"        :    "Palembang",
    "Patna"            :    "Patna",
    "Pagan"            :    "Phukam",
    "Singapura"        :    "Singkhpor",
    "Saigon"        :    "Singxn",
    "Tumasik"        :    "Themasek",
    "Yangon"        :    "Yangkung",
},

I don't mind doing it. It looks like this tool is as good as online Thai transliteration tool get: http://www.thai-language.com/?nav=dictionary&anyxlit=1

For the benefit of clarity, what needs to be checked/fixed is all the names on the right of the Thai section of the renaming rules in CityNameManage.py, plus other occurrences of those names in the renaming rules, plus those names and maybe some others in the Thai area of the map?

Code:
#Language: Thai
{
    "Pataliputra"    :    "Banpatlikham",
    "Jakarta"        :    "Cakarta",
    "Sundapura"        :    "Cakarta",
    "Chengdu"        :    "Cheingtu",
    "Chongqing"        :    "Chngching",
    "Ha Noi"        :    "Hanxy",
    "Guangzhou"        :    "Kwangcow",
    "Bandar Melaka"    :    "Malaka",
    "Manila"        :    "Manila",
    "Palembang"        :    "Palembang",
    "Patna"            :    "Patna",
    "Pagan"            :    "Phukam",
    "Singapura"        :    "Singkhpor",
    "Saigon"        :    "Singxn",
    "Tumasik"        :    "Themasek",
    "Yangon"        :    "Yangkung",
},
I already PM'd Leoreth for Southeast Asia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Eastern India. I didn't even realize that Thailand had city names for China.

The website I used was http://www.thai-language.com/?nav=dictionary&anyxlit=1 with the RTGS output format...that's the romanization Leoreth wants.

Thanks, I will incorporate it in the coming days.

Top Bottom