Thank you to Gazebo and team

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by fallen_addict, Apr 24, 2020.

1. fallen_addict

fallen_addict Chieftain

I posted a thank you note in a now-deleted thread. Wanted to make sure that the work of Gazebo and team (Ilteroi, Pineappledan, tu79, Recursive, vyyt and I’m sure others) are properly recognised. In a Covid-19 locked down world, you have quite literally been a life-savior. Whilst there will always be a few critics, please know that your work and dedication to this mod are deeply appreciated.

The fact that you do what you do, over such a long period, without financial support, with computers tucked away in closets and carpets melting, just boggles my mind.

To the Deities and Emperors who continue making this Mod amazing, my sincerest thanks. You keep updating, I'll keep downloading and installing and playing.

Flamezone, Ninal, jack3552 and 47 others like this.
  2. Pathologic

Pathologic Chieftain

Amen to that. Civ V isn't nearly as refined or fun without Vox Populi, and I STILL prefer VP over Civ VI.

jack3552, vuko, Erikose and 8 others like this.
  3. wobuffet

wobuffet Barbarian

What's "Civ VI"?

Carloshooter, vuko, XSamatan and 9 others like this.
  4. Lee Saxon

Lee Saxon Chieftain

Yes indeed.

JamesNinelives and fallen_addict like this.
  5. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Warlord

for sure VP is the reason I play civ 5 over any other.

But let's not forget the modmod creators either! I'm grateful to those who dedicate mods specifically for this mod too.

6. InkAxis

InkAxis King

Honestly, the work put into this mod is insane. Think about it: Civ 6 developers are working full time for a paycheck, and the last update they released was over half a year ago. And, as many have pointed out, for an ok product. The VP team is not only releasing higher quality updates, but releasing them soooo much faster, while also taking into account a community that can often be contradictory. Honestly, I can't believe how well you guys are doing this and I want to give a massive thanks for that.

burleigh, Bromar1, glider1 and 9 others like this.
  7. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Honestly, I think Civ 6 and VP are both excellent. At this point there are some really nice mods for Civ 6 as well, and I haven't even really explored that scene yet! I am very grateful for this community though. The people (and the moderation) have given me a space to share my passions with others, hang out when I need to destress, and general just been a positive part of my life :).

InkAxis, Maxxim69 and fallen_addict like this.
  8. Valvts

Valvts A Plant

Thank you so much! Great work, great team, best community mod of any game out there (maybe RA2 Mental Omega comes close)

fallen_addict and JamesNinelives like this.
  9. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I thank you too, but I am ashamed to figure among those hard working people.

Vox Populi builds on the work of many people, and everyone cites whoward (made it possible to truly mod) and others like Putmalk (Civ 4 diplomacy), Barathor (More luxuries),
    I urge you to read this interview: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-decided-to-overhaul-the-ai-in-civilization-v

Since I'm around here, these are the people that I've seen really contributing:

Main Developers
    Gazebo (prof. G.). Lead developer. More than half of what you see in Vox Populi is his work. He balances the game testing AI, discusses changes with the community, coordinates developers and publishes releases on frequent schedules.
    Ilteroi. Focus on pathfinding and anything related to that (AI tactics, borders, ...) and bugfixing.

Secondary developers
    They come, improve some aspect of the game and leave. I have full respect for these people who dare to dig into the code.
    A few that I can remember are
    Merill
    Infixo (performance)
    Recursive (AI diplomacy),

Modmodders
    They make mods that go well along VP, or adapt other popular mods to work with VP.
    Ocasionally they improve some of the core VP code.

Asterix Rage (icons)
    Thalassicus (Community expansion)
    Pineappledan (unique civs)
    Enginseer (compatibility, Civics and Reform)
    JFD (adapts his mods to work with VP)
    adan_eslavo
    Meister Maggi (City View)
    azum4roll (Communitu_79a)
    tu_79 (Communitu_79a, guides)

Community
    People who play the game, discusses in the forum, find bugs or contributes with non coding abilities.

Funak (deity - civ uniques balance - wiki)
    ExpiredReign (wiki)
    Stalker0 (he's been here forever! Avid tester)
    Enrico Swagolo
    ElliotS (deity - aggressive stuff - wiki)
    CrazyG (deity - all around)
    Minh Le (deity - mathematical stuff)
    vyyt (large maps and install troubleshooting)
    crdvis16 (guides)
    Moi Magnus (modpacks, reddit help)
    Owlbebach (deity)
    Gokudo01
    Txurce
    chicorbeef
    amateurgamer88 (playthroughs)
    workerspam (deity)
    Kim Dong Un (humor)
    wobuffet
    ryanmusante (linux)
    BiteInTheMark (specializes in annoying Gazebo)
    JamesNinelives (new kid in town)

and many others that just were not that persistent.

Since we are close to final release, we could improve this list for the full credits. Just an idea.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  10. vyyt

vyyt Deity

@tu_79 , you ruined everything!!! I was enjoying my 15 minutes of fame being mistaken for a VP developer and being thanked.

Anyway, I am not contributing to large map balance at all, I just play them. If anything, I think I am pretty good with trouble shooting people's VP installation problems.

And of course I would like to add my thanks to Gazebo and the team. Civ5 with VP became an amazing game. The replayability is unbelievable - so many different approaches are now feasible.

11. theMisterRud

theMisterRud Chieftain

As a lurker, I will join in the appreciation of the entire community and the main contributors.

Vox Populi has eclipsed the entirety of the 4X genre for me and I can hardly see myself exploring other games in the genre due to the level of thoughtfulness, care and polish that was put into this beast of a game.

Thank you guys !

vuko, Erikose, Maxxim69 and 7 others like this.
  12. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

LOL, fixing it!

EDIT. The fact that you always play on big maps, makes your opinions in the matter more valid. That was the point.

13. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

He likes big maps and he cannot lie.

Truly happy to work on this for all you people. Haters gonna hate, but I do this for the people like you guys. Also my dog, he seems to like it when I rubber duck debug at him.

G

14. arievillo

arievillo Warlord

You should put adan_eslavo on Modmodders list. The man is a monster of mods. Just saying...

15. Tarzan737

Tarzan737 Warlord

Thank you very much for hard work!!!

JamesNinelives and fallen_addict like this.
  16. Jiggly

Jiggly Warlord

Yeah thanks for everything guys. I have bought like ten different 4X games over the last bunch of years and keep coming back to this mod time and time again despite the fact that I never finish a full game.

You should all get together and start a 4X game AI company and other games can outsource their AI to you for polishing before release.

17. PortugeseChicken

PortugeseChicken Chieftain

Wait... This isn't Civ VI??

18. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

As quoted in Civ 5: "A playtester knows he has achieved perfection, not when he has anything left to add, but when he has been around so long he can do nothing, and still look like a boss" :)

19. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Also add "best tester ever" since he apparently finishes a whole game every day.

20. Jiggly

Jiggly Warlord

People finish games?