Thank you.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mujadaddy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. CrackityJones

CrackityJones Chieftain

Yeah, complaints about how the game sucks from people who can't actually play it aside, I do have to say that my one and only complaint is sleep deprivation.

2. Suspiria

Suspiria Warlord

It's a good game, but far from perfect.

3. beaver.llama

beaver.llama Chieftain

BUMP, this game is awesome, any of the fans of previous civs that don't like civ 4 need to realize that resistence is futile, because they will all be assimilated by the might of civ 4.

4. Frewfrux

Frewfrux Warlord

Any game that gets me up at 5:30 in the morning just so that I can get in an extra hour and a half play time before work is an increadable game!!!

(And if you rated this game based on how many time I get glares from my wife...this one would get a 10/10 ;) )

5. Scotty Mack

Scotty Mack Chieftain

Quite simply, this game is a work of art.

(As for the lack of female leaders, 'England' has 2 to choose and 'Spain' certainly has 1, and 'My Home 'definately has a female leader. Aren't ladies powerful enough in our lives ?)

Scotty

6. anjinsan1966

anjinsan1966 Chieftain

It´s one of the more addictive games lately id say.
    I only have one complaint tooo little sleep as of late :crazyeye:

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

7. karadoc

karadoc AI programmer

It really is a great game.

8. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Well, lets see, I am currently playing:

An ongoing game as the Persians on Warlord; the Game of the Month as the Romans; a once a week diplo-game as the Mali and an ongoing MP game-once a week-with other Aussies every Saturday night (as whatever civ takes my fancy on the night). My point is that this is the greatest variety of Civs I have ever tried (also played as Egypt and France), that it is the first time I have ever countenanced an online or direct IP game, of any kind, and represents the most number of continuous hours-over a single weekend-that I have ever played a game of Civ since Civ2 (I think my total number of hours over 3 days was more than TWELVE!!!!)-trust me, thats a LOT!!! So YES, this is a great game, its the most fun I have ever had playing a video game, and is definitely worth every cent I paid for it (and this is just the beginning :D.

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

9. TBox

TBox Chieftain

Thank you for shooting Rex in the head with a .45.

Although I'm not sure that's enough to keep it down.

Fear the Zombie Rex.

10. chewbaccad

chewbaccad Chieftain

Perfect? No. Damn good and highly addicting? Heck yeah :D

11. henrycccc

henrycccc Warlord

This thread is full of spam.Some moderator plz delete it.

12. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Hey, I have a better idea Henryccc. Why don't the moderators simply delete YOU? After all, if its OK for the whiners to have their multiple complaint threads spread throughout the general forum, then surely those of us who love the game are entitled to a thread to speak our praises. To say otherwise is the height of hypocrisy-something I am getting used to from the whiners.
    Moderator Action: Flaming - warned.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

13. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

Well is it spam cause you don't like it? I could say the same about the tons of whiny posts people leave everyday. For God's sake, saying thank you is spam??

By the way, Thanks Firaxis for such a wonderful game!

14. henrycccc

henrycccc Warlord

Any Complaint thread of the same type would have been deleted long ago.

15. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

I give it personally a 7/10.

The reason those 3 points are gone:

- Hardware issues still show up despite OVER RECOMMENDED specs even after 1.09 and pre 1.09 alot of people couldnt even play with over recommended. Estimated 15-20ish% of people that bought it.
    - Gameplay mechanics still need work. Promotions define combat instead of being 'promotions' though this was a good addition to gameplay, just implied too important.
    - Gunships are more limited in mobility than ground troops. They have training wheels and act as ground units (cant een fly over coastal waters) yet cant utilize rails and such even acting as a ground unit, and arent amphimbious. Again, although my fav unit is gunships, this was implemented horribly.
    - Diplomacy is WAY better than ever granted. You always have to declare war for 'no reason' as you are unable to demand gunpowder as tribute to a civ with 3 cities in comparison to your 'mighty empire' because, well, they 'just dont like you enough.' As if that matters in tribute. They dont say 'no' rather you just cant ask/demand.
    - AI is still a moron and wont come out of their cities, usually dogpiling in them. This does not help them defend more than just buy them time before you DO end up with their city. They will sit in their city and watch you take their (+XX%) defenses to zero and do nothing to try and stop you. (ON Emporer level)
    - When they do actually attack they attack with 1 unit. 1 unit. and they spend more time pillaging than attacking anyways. 'Oh darn now my workers have something to do again' :rolleyes:

This game can be made better in patches. But it doesnt get a 10/10 for its current state. A for effort. For final grade: Pending.
    The game is far from perfect and as Firaxis/2K already stated perfection is unobtainable. Even if you veiw this game as 'perfect' considering no game will reach perfection, just know I have quit playing Civ 4 already to get some Diablo 2, Civ 3, Arcanum, and Age of Wonders 2 time in again. And their 'newness effect wore off long ago.

There are alot of great additions as well though. I DID give it 7/10. But if anyone from 2K Firaxis is reading this and wants a non-brown nose opinion, here is one right here. This thread I see it is more of a Yay there is a civilization '4' thread more than an actual thank you thread.
    Allow all people to voice here if you think it is 'perfect'. Dont get mad at us for bringing your fantasy delusion to reality a moment.

EDIT: I also forgot you being an Emporer cant tell your workers to pillage your own raods you spent time/resources to build. Probably forgot some other small problems as well.

16. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Thats patently UNTRUE henryccc. So now I see that outright lying has become the new tactic of the whiners. Truth is that this is an 'anti-spam' thread, as everyone who loves the game is coming to this thread to post their thanks, wheras each and every whiner starts their own thread to b***H about the game. Judging from henry's actions, however, it seems that thread spamming is not enough for whiners now, they need to come here in a desperate bid to shut down any site whose views do not coincide with their own.

Aussie_Lurker.

17. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

Flevance, where are you getting that 15-20% of people can't run the game? I hope you're not claiming that as fact based on a forum poll.....

18. Kissamies

Kissamies Prince

Not perfect, but great. I get the choppiness on larger maps, but it's still so fun. Couldn't imagine going back to older Civs.

19. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Moderator Action: Henrycccc - cease the threadjacking.
    Aussie_Lurker - its not your place to troll & flame in response.

20. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

Not entirely, as most people that took the poll that was in the first week of release no doubt were a small fraction of people that bought the game. but it probably holds a very valid truth in it. The poll showed 20-25%. I took off 5% but even so make it 10-15% for arguements sake. I know it holds some fact to it as 2 people I know bought it, installed it, didnt go online at all, took the game back. I told them to make sure they bought from a place they could bring it back just in case.

Even 10-15% isn't 'OK' as much as people want to state that it is. 10-15% IS alot of people. Now based on after that poll of Psyringe's people STILL were coming on TO DATE listing complaints they cant play and alot with RECOMMENDED specs or better due to the fact they got info of sites claiming the game is demanding. Now, some maybe around 5 people I have seen were wanting it to run on integrated chips. These people aside though. My graphics card I know is whats bringing me down. ATI 128MB PCI. This is recommended, although I wouldnt recommend it.
    I would bet alot of money on it being about 15% of the users though as tensions are high atm about 'whiner' threads 'spamming'. Yet its not 2-3 people starting them all. But more a community of people that respond to them, excluding the 'stop your whining' posters.
    The poll did 'influence' my numbers as there are no real numbers out there. However, Firaxis knows. Go to tech support and see the sticky 'post your DxDiags here' and tell me thats only 2% of all buyers. The numbers are large and its not everyone out there with problems because alot either - simply don't come here OR didnt post their Dx Diags but just came to rant in the Gen Discussions instead.

So, yeah my numbers were a stab in the dark but I bet I hit it pretty close.

EDIT: Took out a statement since Ainwood stepped in.