Thanks for the mod!

Krall

Warlord
Hello all,

I didn't really see any threads in the forum that were for general feedback so I made one.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved in this mod and the mods that make it up. It has reignited my interest in Civ IV and caused many, many 'just one more turn' sleepless nights :)

I messed around with several mods before BtS came out and never really got into them or played them very long. That pretty much made me give up on the mod concept...till now. LoR is really well done, adds a lot of diversity, flavor and length to the game. It also adds the kind of adversity a real world leader might face in the world and it quite challenging to play.

To this point I've been routed in each of my 5 games on noble which I usually breeze though in the base game. Now on my 6th game I've finally learned to play a little better so that I haven't been knocked early and am now able to make it into the 1900s. However, I finally ran into the revolutionary aspect of the game as I attempt to expand by war to create peace by eliminating a troublesome warring neighbor I find my empire crumbling to cities who wish to revolt for greener pastures. Over expansion without taking care of your plebs hurts :D

So anyway thank you all for the new found fun you've created and good luck on further development.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Lately it seems all posts have been relating to bugs, and it's been starting to grate on me. It's nice to know that there are users that are enjoying it.

Hasn't been buggy for me though I have only played one game as Pericles (first time monarch, lost to a Stalin and Hirohito permanent alliance :mad:). Now that I am playing normal speed games I can actually finish games in a few days! Naval warfare still eludes me though.. and I am not totally sold on the legends concept.. but then again I'm just a newb and got lots to learn. Guess you really didn't like 0.9.4 huh? I'd bet it's probably running stable for most people, who are happily playing instead of wasting time on a Project & Mod Development board.

I forgot to mention, the installer that comes with the expansion is awesome! Even though I've been using a computer since the Commodore 64 days and know my way around DOS it's a nice touch not having to mess around moving and replacing files, creating directories and the like just to install an add-on program.

Also, I mistakenly called it a mod up top. When I originally read the description for LoR I got a chuckle that it was called an expansion, well the joke was on me because it truly is like an expansion and every bit as good as one.

Keep up the good work and don't let all the bug reports get ya down :)

I am really glad you worked on LoR Light. My laptop just can't handle all the graphics and models with the full version so this lets me play your great mod without having to sacrifice map size or game speed!

Don't get me wrong; the only reason I posted the bug was so you could fix it - I'm having a blast playing LoR!

Don't get me wrong; the only reason I posted the bug was so you could fix it - I'm having a blast playing LoR!

Bug reports that include a save game enable me to fix the issue. So far every single critical bug that has been reported has been fixed, either by me or by jdog depending on the cause of the issue. So if you include a save game that's all good and dandy, even better if the report includes a information related to the bug.

What's frustrating is reports like this:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8272826&postcount=1031

It tells me nothing. Such posts leave me no way to fix any possible issue, and leaves me wondering if there is an issue in the first place. It also makes the mod look bad. So that's really what I'm on about when I complain about bug reports. Correctly posted reports (and most importantly saves with critical bugs, or just a good description and pic for behavior issues that aren't critical) are all good by me, I actually apreciate them.

I'd also like to say how much I'm enjoying the mod. I saw a thread somewhere where you were worried about the number of downloads so thought I'd leave some positive feedback.

Feedback here! :)

I've downloaded it a week ago and played it since then. In fact I didn't load vanilla anymore :)

I really like the fact that you try to improve gameplay without changing most game concepts.

Some random thing that I enjoy the most:

- You filled the previously enormous gap between sailing ships and the introduction of destroyers, which is good. I understand that probably Firaxis left them out because, historically, they lasted only for a century, but in-game the industrial age is pretty long and thus the lack was sensible.

- Revolutions add a lot of game options and intresting situations. As one of your hint remind us: that's nothing funnier than to starve an enemy to civil war. Absolutely true.

- I'm pleased that most Legends aren't overpowered - they can be at best strong as 3-4 units of the same kind. In the meantime they make attached warlords MUCH more "personal" and intresting than before. And still they die, and you hate when it happens, and everyone else is happy.

- Some promotion tweaks, like guerrilla and woodsman. Some of them were previously useless, now one could build a strategy around their concept.

Keep the good work. Of all the mods thet I've tried this is the one I liked the most.

Top Bottom