1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Vicky... I think

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Abraxis, May 16, 2017.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
    Spoiler :

Vicky asked me to be friends. Usually I don't accept so early, but the way she fluttered her fan at me wore down my resolve. just two turns later one of my units spotted a horde of English warriors moving across the desert toward me. A turn after that, Jadwiga decided to declare war. Vicky is now just camping out with her units surrounding my city and I have no idea if this is a great AI partner trying to save me or a terrible AI partner not realizing we're friends and trying to kill me.

I've never seen this happen before, but I'm thinking it's the later, since I've noticed before if an ally and I are at war with someone and moving on their capital, if I take it just before they arrive, their army still positions around it as though to attack, seemingly without realizing the conditions have changed.

Anyone know what the deal is here? :confused:
    It's cute and all (maybe), but she's not leaving :think::backstab:

Victoria, Leyrann, KumaChan and 3 others like this.
  2. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Maybe she has a rather protective personality towards her friends? :p In a recent game, I was friends with her almost up until the end and she had always units around my territory.

nzcamel likes this.
  3. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I don't know what the issue is, but I have some potentially bad news for you, because I've experienced - not quite a case like this - but AI units within my territories when we have an alliance, and then when the alliance runs out and my borders are closed to them, there is a bug and their units are not expelled, but just sit there forever doing nothing. Switching a tile from one city to another will expel the unit, but since you can't switched tiles in first circle around the city, any units present there will just stay in place. But of course, this might not affect your game, because it's not a case of alliance/open borders, but just very early game.

XVeris likes this.
  4. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

Yesterday , Teddy did the same to me , he had gazillion guys running around my capital while we were friends. I was at war but definitely not under siege ,my army was buzy razing macedonia out of the map. SO m guess is , she 's not protective.
    My guess is , the AI has a kind of two layer behavior lik an hydra , one is the main head and took the decision to be friend , while the other noticed it could rush my undefended capital and deciding to lead armies there . Maybe it's a bizarre way to have the AI more able to be less predicitive but right now it looks strange.

KumaChan and nzcamel like this.
  5. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

In one of my current games, I have been dof'd with France for... 700 turns? Now, each time the dof ends (during the turn cycling), I ask her for a dof, she says no, then asks me for a dof on her turn.

One time she didn't, and I got the notice that she was considering a war with me. Her next turn, she dof'd me.

I've noticed Vicky can be even more devious.

Coupled with the engine's multiple reasons for a dow, which override relationships, my guess is she was going to dow you.

I bet she does when the dof is over.

I am further going to assume the engine forced Poland to dow since you prevented England from doing so.

I think its a case of two or three non-agenda agendas that are on timers not syncing up very well.

Ah well... least you have Vicky's troops conveniently located.

6. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Well, I remember that Teddy Roosevelt became my friend as Brazil. I accepted open borders deal. He took lots of his units and placed them in my territory. He then didn't do anything, so I couldn't get on these files with my builders. He, thankfully, didn't declare war on me. Trajan did.

7. LethalLeigh

LethalLeigh Prince

She is preparing to attack!
    This same thing happened to me. Vic ask to be friends and she sent 5 units after I accepted to my City. They hung around for about 10 turns then she declared a formal war on me. Thank god I had 3 archer ready she almost took me Capital. :mad:

8. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I was playing Egypt in one game, and became friends with my closest neighbor Harald Hardrada. He kept his units inside my borders until Open Borders ended.
    I think the AI wants to declare war on the player when this happens, but can't because of the DoF.
    I kept renewing my DoF with Harald Hardrada until I won the game. :D

9. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

So, @Abraxis any update on what happened next?

Did Vicky help w/ Poland, DoW you, or something in between?

agonistes likes this.
  10. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Oh yeah! She hung around for a while, I think her warriors drank all my beer but otherwise her intentions were harmless! Poland sent another wave of zigzagging doom to shuffle its way slowly toward me. Luckily Maryannu are famously immune to these kinds of intimidation tactics and Jadwiga decided she'd had enough. The moment I accepted her peace, Vicky's warriors left, the next turn our friendship ended, and the turn after that she asked to renew it as her hero warriors disappeared into the desert never to be seen again.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    KumaChan and agonistes like this.
  11. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

In cases like this, they were either preparing to attack, or there were barbarians on the other side of me that they were after

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Usually that's what I assume, but this time I'm really not so sure. She obviously wanted to remain friendly, she's the one who asked before and after sending the troops. There were no barbarians either. Unless you count Jadwiga; she is a suspicious shade of red... :think:

Either something is seriously wrong with the AI with its strategic algorithms being out of sync with its diplomatic direction, or at some point they've been coded to give warm friendly hugs to friends in need. :grouphug:

I'm thinking its the later. I've since played another game and Catharine was doing something similar with her navy. The evil toad Qin Shi Huang declared war on me and Catharine sent her navy up to block him from landing on my shores. She denounced him as she was doing it and kept blocking without going to war. Once he sued for peace she sailed away into the sunset. I had top-secret status with her too, so if she were planning to attack me I would have received a warning.

If no one else has noticed it I wonder if it only happens after a certain threshold. Lately I've been really trying to maximize how much favour I can get with the AI. :hug:

I'm going to start a few more games and try to reproduce it.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    agonistes likes this.
  13. empresskiova

empresskiova Warlord

I've had Rome do this way back at launch, we had been in an alliance/friendship for centuries when all of a sudden I see a horde of Warriors/Archers/Legions come surround my Capital (I had been in numerous wars with France and China, but they were too far away to be a threat). They sat there for all eternity, afterwards, as Sumer protected the world from Barbarians. lol

14. Yzman

Yzman Deity

The biggest problem with this is one they haven't addressed yet with 1upt. She is severely limiting your movement and you have no way to fix it.

They really need to make it so that units that are allied or same team can get around this somehow. I am thinking 2 units allowed per tile, it would greatly reduce the amount of moving.

15. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

I've had this, DOF with Trajan, loads of Legions turn up, sit on my unimproved city tiles and my workers can thus do diddly.

No way to fix it either as not renewing DOF doesn't bump them out of my territory - even with closed borders. What the billy-o? :mad: