that awkward moment when...

Richie0

Warlord
...you start (random settings and civs) on a continents map with 3 neighbours, run out of space after 5 cities, and your closest neighbour is carthage who has just built the great wall.....

currently crying for my swordmen. my catapults are sick of this crap

anyone else got any other awkward moments?

Ya, when I declare war on someone and find they have Mutual Protection Pacts with the top military civs in the game.

that's not really a problem for me i find, the game is won by the time the AI gets riflemen and mutual protection pacts come around

still awkward though!

the solution to that is dog-piling

you have a 2nd civ at war with you because of a mutual protection pact? no problem, get the other 5 civs to fight those 2 alongside you

if there's still 5 left by that point hahaha

What's the rush I'm past the year 2050 in my current game and struggling to keep AI civs alive, it's actually pretty tough!

What's the rush I'm past the year 2050 in my current game and struggling to keep AI civs alive, it's actually pretty tough!

you will get into a war at some point, no matter how nice you play

get a barracks up and get 2 or 3 archers (horsemen or swords if you have the resource before your barracks) out early on, you get left alone then

my games don't reach 2050. i either win before then or get bored

i usually win by domination. space race, rarely. if the game lasts that long, i always seem to miss out on one part, get enraged, and just destroy everyone

cultural, think i've done it once in a few years of playing, it's a very strict way to play

but as i say, i usually win my games by then. guerrilla + artillery does the job if resources don't go my way. cavalry if i make it a focus point

Yeah the great wall is pretty powerful

Yeah the great wall is pretty powerful

i never build it, not even when militaristic. it's a pain in the arse when you're against it, obviously

if i capture it before cannons (metallurgy?), then it's a nice bonus, but the truth is, my cities don't really get directly attacked, outside of recently captured cities

any fud putting his/her units in my borders gets told to bugger off, instantly. never sign Right of Passages, unless i need quick access via rails when my empire is in two parts

exception is cavalry attacks out of nowhere. unfortunately, i usually have riflemen, if not infantry, in metropolises by then

silly AI

Who's talking about playing nice, I go to war to keep one civ from killing off another.

i actively encourage this, sometimes. it depends on the civ and their position. if its someone like zulu or germany then i couldn't care less. even if they win the war, they aren't genuinely improved by it

the exception is if sumeria, aztecs or maya are in the game

as soon as i know all the civs, i declare war on them (regardless if i'm ready for it) and get the whole world against them

sometimes old monty does this by himself, saving me the bother

can't allow those three the time to grow, they become legit dangerous if you do

Its absolutely awkward when you discover that there is no iron on your continent. Well, lets wait til we discover gunpowder.. and OF COURSE THERE'S NO SALPETER EITHER!! So you try to find an island where there are resources, but it takes a hell lot of time to have the new cities being more productive, you often have to build courthouses to reduce the production-corruption, and there after harbors to connect with your main continent. And OF COURSE THERE COMES ANOTHER CIV AND GRAB THAT RESOURCE BY BUILDING A CITY NEXT TO IT!! There for you have to make war with them, and when you arent able to build stronger units than Horsemen, archers and Longbowmen its almost impossible to make fair resistance so the only thing is just to quit the game :(

Its absolutely awkward when you discover that there is no iron on your continent. Well, lets wait til we discover gunpowder.. and OF COURSE THERE'S NO SALPETER EITHER!! So you try to find an island where there are resources, but it takes a hell lot of time to have the new cities being more productive, you often have to build courthouses to reduce the production-corruption, and there after harbors to connect with your main continent. And OF COURSE THERE COMES ANOTHER CIV AND GRAB THAT RESOURCE BY BUILDING A CITY NEXT TO IT!! There for you have to make war with them, and when you arent able to build stronger units than Horsemen, archers and Longbowmen its almost impossible to make fair resistance so the only thing is just to quit the game :(

that is the definition of awkward

if i don't have iron or horses (rare), then i build archers and catapults. once you get to invention, longbowmen backed up with a couple of spears and 20 trebuchets will take a good few cities

if you have iron, you are fine. swordsmen, then medieval infantry and trebuchets will win you wars right through to the industrial age

if you have horses and no iron, then don't get saltpeter...

you either trade for it, or beeline to nationalism, get riflemen, and hold tight until artillery and infantry

however, it is possible to trade for iron. it's expensive, but entirely worth it

for example, sometimes i cannot make railroads after researching steam power because i don't have both resources. trades can eliminate the need for wars

handy if you're going a diplomatic, histographic, or cultural victory

if you get nothing at all within the first 50 turns or so, AND you're playing a crap civ (hittites, portugal etc) then sure, restart

it's not worth the effort

When the opponent sees you putting up a stack of catapults and he puts up a wall all of your catapults are wasted and it puts you in a good position to lose, depending on how much effort you've put into constructing catapults s ofar

That awkward moment when you realize that the Iroquois dominate that big continent in the other hemisphere and you're already 10 techs behind them.

Bah, you kids these days have it easy. Check this Diety start (not mine):

Spoiler :

The guy posted the start as a tale of woe, but he decided to continue playing it. It became an epic thread where I learned the value of artillery, the use of combat settlers and the dynamics of culture borders and culture flips: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=112046

Top Bottom