1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

That Old Bonus Settler thingy

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by darski, Feb 4, 2008.

1. darski

darski Regent in Training

I was just remembering what fun it used to be in the original CIV that you would occasionally get an extra settler at the start of the game.

...it just happened at random but it was kind of neat.

Remembering that I am playing Vanilla and the CivEdit does nothing unless you make a map, is there a way to build in that random factor?

2. watorrey

watorrey Deity

As far as I can recall this only happened in civ2 when the game thought you needed one. Only a modded game of civ3 could give you 2 settlers.

3. Headbanger

Headbanger Warlord

THat sort of thing would give you a vast advantage if employed correctly.

4. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

Expansionist civs can sometimes get a free settler from a Goody Hut.

5. ThinkTank

ThinkTank RL Addict

Any civ can get a settler from a hut (but not on sid), though the odds are better if the civ is expansionist. See this thread Probabilities of goody huts, C3C for the details.

6. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

You can incorporate rule changes in CivEdit w/o tieing it to specific map, just make sure that "custom map" is not flagged under "scenario".

Just so you know "CIV" is generally considered an abbreviation for Civ IV, it was fairly obvious what you meant but I had to read it over to make sure.

7. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

IIRC Civ on the Amiga gave you 2 settlers if you played the Earth map as Rome.

8. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

That was the greatest! If you got Leonardo's you could have that "NONE" settler upgrade to and engineer and pretty much keep him forever free!

And for those that came in with 3 or 4, there were no workers, so all the roading mining ect. was done by settlers.

I miss the supermarkets and the Farmland. That was cool.

9. Nergal

Nergal Prince

I've noticed that if I build an early granary or something that holds off my expansion I seem to get settlers from goody huts. Even 2 in one gamer.

10. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

That's right. You cant get a settler if you have a settler in play or if you are building one. You also cant get a settler if you have more cities than the AI civs. For details, see the ThinkTank's link above.