That old time religion, and the founding therof

Capn Charlie

Chieftain
I was wondering lately, is there a specific reason why religions found in random cities and never your capital?

Ok, in so uncertain terms, I like to found a bunch of religions for mana and gold, and would like them all in my god king capital with the brewing house and the bazaar of mammon.

Is this overpowered? I dunno, there's lots of overpowered things in life. And even more in FFH. Really, I've exploited just about every wicked awesome thing I've found, and this is just one more desirable thing.

How about when you research a religion tech, it gives you two disciples, or hell, one for that matter, and let you decide where to found the religion. A dangerous gamble, but you can always found it in that city with perfect safety.

I generally use the worldbuilder to move the holy city where I want it. Every time

I think it's pretty annoying to not get to choose where your religion goes. Especially when you plan to build Meshabber or somesuch later. It needs to be a good industrial city.

That would be too cheap, everyone would want all religion shrines in the same city, except maybe AV which would go to a unit building city.

Religions tend to "stick" to certain cities. If you manage to found all 8 of them it's quite likely they'll all end up split between 2 cities, unless you had a city with less/no religion which would make it more "attractive".

Your capital will NEVER be a holy city, unless you don't have any other city. If you want to found your religion in your capital, you have to explore many lairs, and if you are lucky, you will recieve a disciple before discovering the tech.

The city in which a religion will be founded is random, but weighted based on various factors like population and the number of religions already in the city. The largest of these weightings is that the capital is 8 times less likely to found a religion.

No matter how many cities you have, the capital will probably the the place a religion is founded if you change the capital's population to 999 and don't cheat on the other city populations.

If you want to take advantage of God-King and shrines, found the religion, and then move your capital.

The city in which a religion will be founded is random, but weighted based on various factors like population and the number of religions already in the city. The largest of these weightings is that the capital is 8 times less likely to found a religion.

No matter how many cities you have, the capital will probably the the place a religion is founded if you change the capital's population to 999 and don't cheat on the other city populations.

Oh, it'd be easy enough to just cheat it where I want it, or pop disciples from lairs (which I think is infinitely cheesier than getting to pick where I put the holy city when I research it first).

I was just wondering exactly why it works the way it does, and if there was a particular reason it works the way it does, and if it wasn't very compelling, if I could maybe convince some power that be to make it the way I'd like it, lol.

I've managed to resist the temptation to mod anything and "play by the rules" thus far, and intend to keep doing so, but if I can convince someone else to change the rules, oh that's fine.

I'm not really sure why Firaxis made that decision. It should be very easy to change (if you are willing to edit and recompile the DLL), but I'm not aware of a mod that has actually done so.

I don't think of it as you, the player/king/leader/demigod, actually founding the religion, they have a life of their own in regards to spreading and so on. You can maniplulate and take advantage of the religions, but it is after all not you, the supreme leader, they worship but a god. I like it quite well the way it is, from a lore perspective, and the selection of founding city would be an extremely powerful weapn in the hands of the human player.

I don't think of it as you, the player/king/leader/demigod, actually founding the religion, they have a life of their own in regards to spreading and so on. You can maniplulate and take advantage of the religions, but it is after all not you, the supreme leader, they worship but a god. I like it quite well the way it is, from a lore perspective, and the selection of founding city would be an extremely powerful weapn in the hands of the human player.

Well, civ is a game of abstractions, I don't view me the player as representing just the leader, but more of being a benevolent force that guides my civ to where I want it to go y a variety of abstract means, such as causing a popular uprising that shifts the government to a pacifistic industrial society from a brutal warlike one now that our neighbors are all dead.

Your capital will NEVER be a holy city, unless you don't have any other city. If you want to found your religion in your capital, you have to explore many lairs, and if you are lucky, you will recieve a disciple before discovering the tech.
Not true. It's just unlikely. I've founded a religion in my capital several times, when I've only had 2-3 cities.

Top Bottom