1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

That station took my spot!

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Jaif, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Jaif

Jaif Chieftain

I didn't play civ 5. I've been learning by playing, screwing up, starting a new game, etc. Eventually I'll buckle-down and play through.

One thing I keep seeing is that the station that comes from the quest always picks the prime spot, usually where you want to put your city. With miasma and lots of rough terrain, I find this quite restricting, actually.

Is there any way to delay this quest? Or should I be rushing to colonize that spot.

-Jeff

2. MasterDinadan

MasterDinadan Warlord

You can conquer the stations very easily, and there isn't a crazy warmonger penalty for it like in Civ 5.
    Or, you can choose not to trade with it and it will disappear after 45 turns (number might be wrong).

3. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

You can attack and destroy the station. If left alone, it will go away on it's own.

4. flying_dug0ng

flying_dug0ng Chieftain

Destroying it also results in a derelict settlement you can excavate for goodies. Win win!

5. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Look for alternative spots that also cover the resources, or just destroy it.
    Two Soldiers/Marines are enough to take a tier one station. You'll also get energy and science for it and it will leave a derelict settlement that you can explore for population or culture.

6. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

The only station worth trading with is the pure culture one anyway. The rest are garbage, kill em all.

7. ShaggyCan

ShaggyCan Warlord

Trade with it until you're ready to head that way, then take them out. It's too bad you have no other options, like buy them out, or covert ops flip them. That would be cool.

8. bhavv

IMO stations shouldn't have a settle block range, and you should be able to just plonk a city next to them if you want.

9. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well, would be okay if the first station didn't land in "settle-range". Had it land just in front of my settler, 1-2 turns before I wanted to place my city, TWICE.

10. aguliondew

aguliondew Prince

One thing if a Civ does not like you they will always tell you to stop attacking their station even after it has been destroyed for 60turns :p.

11. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Yeah, it's annoying, had that too!

Stations seem to land on ideal city locations. They probably just copy-pasted the code that makes other (major) civs make planetfall :(

12. Manannan

Manannan Prince

This. Very much this. Had two colonists ready to go (one hard built and one bought) moving toward firaxite heaven (room for two cities with something like 33 firaxite between the two cities) only to have stations pop up to block off both locations. Couldn't destroy the stations with my troops so had to invest heavily in military (ie: had to tech to missile rovers which I hadn't planned on doing for awhile, and then build a couple of the things) only to have stupid ARC and polystralia denounce me for destroying stations they were trading with. Between that, the heavy forward settle from said jerks, and feeling really far behind by the time I popped my outposts I ended up ragequitting that game. :(

13. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

This annoyed me so much that this morning I modified the game files so that stations spawn at minimum of 8 tiles instead of 5. Working much better so far.

14. guczy

guczy Warlord

Seriously, I dont even see any reason to have them. As someone said previously, except for the culture one they are all utterly useless, and are just an annoyance

15. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

They are pretty annoying at times. On the flip side, they can act as really good buffers against the AI later on. So it isn't all *that* bad.

Also remember: Killing a station gives you a nice ruin to excavate, so it compensates you for the trouble.

16. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

In that case it could be worse, they could have copied the Civ V City state code that always founds 2 or 3 hexes away from an ideal city location.

17. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Is that the case? I did have one disappear, but when it happened to another after I saw a siege worm heading its way I assumed they were destroyed by aliens.

I am annoyed about the placement - since stations can't be conquered and never control territory other than their starting hex, there's no reason for them to spawn in productive areas and they do just get in the way.

18. bhavv

I got the +4 production one in my current game, helped a lot in the early game before I had any more cities built, but then its obsolete, unlike the culture one.

19. DCParry

DCParry Chieftain

To start off I want to say I am loving the game in general, but this has become more than a minor annoyance for me. It is at the point that I have restarted three games in frustration as the first drop puts the station RIGHT IN MY EXPANSION PATH. My choice is to make a detour to physics and push back any serious expansion around 20 turns, which is frustrating to say the least.

20. Antilogic

Antilogic --

The AI appears to be destroying the one station I am trading with between outpost boosting missions.

Kind of annoying.