1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Thats it! I'm going to disable random events.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by batavier, Dec 21, 2007.

1. batavier

batavier Warlord

I'm playing Egypt on a pangaea map at monarch level in BTS. I've just started to produce war chariots for a rush, and then a tornado destroys the pasture. Two chariot builds are interrupted. It's 2075 BC and I don't think it will work with this extra delay.
    The diplomacy random event also seem a bit unbalanced. You can get a large
    modifier by paying just a little cash. In a recent game I had tokugawa to friendly because of a "+8 past events have proved your good nature to us" This was from sending a little food and paying about 50 gold twice.

Attached Files:

2. Sjaramei

Sjaramei Prince

At least you didn't get a barb uprising in the 3000 BC's so it's not all bad :p
    They need some tweaking but mostly they are fine.

3. duende29

duende29 Loud Brat

I usually hate em but live with them. In about 50% of my games I get the slaves uprising due to the civic. And the fires destroying the forges and the factories can get really annoying if you don't have extra cash, specially when they happen twice in a row. Of course when my Axemen get the cover or shock upgrades for free I rejoice.

4. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

They're fine. They make things a bit harder or a bit easier, and disrupt/give a boost to the player's plans. That's their purpose; there is always that button to turn them off if it's not your cup of tea.

Unless you get a barb uprising on turn 22. In which case I reach for the reload button.

5. Kietharr

Kietharr Prince

Yeah they're a pain at times but if you get free cover I axemen it's all worth it. Your continent is conquered by 0AD almost guaranteed.

6. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

I have a few favorites
    Love the tin production +2 hammers in the early game. On epic speed it is the equilalent of a free forest chopped every 15 turns pre-mathematics. Play a long game into the late AD's and that is over a thousand free hammers.
    The 90% chance for +2 :health: is awesome. POOF your expansionist.
    -25% inflation is awesome as well.
    Anything with a free academy is like a free GS or GG
    The swordsmen quest.
    Free promotions as stated above is just spiffy keen.

Though the RNG keeps track of how many huts I pop for gold and makes me spend it saving mines at crucial times.
    And failed marriages always seem to occur with crazy neighbors like Monty or Alex. I'd rather have the barbs on turn 22 than have monty get extra mad at me.

7. Gliese 581

Gliese 581 Your average civ junkie

50%? Count yourself lucky. Those have become just another chore that needs to be dealt with every game..I don't think I've had a game wo 2 uprisings, and with only two I'm happy. Then again I always play epic speed.
    What I really miss is the quests, most games I don't get any quest at all, I would like to get one per game.

8. CivCorpse

CivCorpse Supreme Overlord of All

Does anyone know what the rewards are for the holy mountain quest or the ten lands masses one might be?

9. Bobbalouie

Bobbalouie Chieftain

I think, but by no means certain, the the top reward for the holy mountain quest was a golden age.

If by ten land masses you mean the Blessed Sea, the rewards are either a great prophet, a spreading your state religion to a number of citie,s or getting your state religions temple in all cities with population 5 or more. This one I remember well, because I came close to crippling my economy with all the extra cities just to see what it did.

I'll never turn off random events, add's some spice to the game. Sometimes they can totally change the outcome of a game. In one game, I lost out building the Colossus cause my forge was destroyed by a hurricane. In another, I was a mutual Defensive Pact with 4 other nations, when one of the ones outs of it was caught spying. There was an option to treat it as a declaration of war, which was just too much fun. I'd been eyeing that civ for a bit trying to figure out how to declare a war w/o getting penalties.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have that event in reverse, where the AI forces you to declare war on them?

10. qwertz

qwertz Prince

11. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

Yeah, that one's immense, although dealing with the :mad: can be a real headache.

Anyone ever gone for this and missed out on the 2:health:? That could be really nasty.

I got the CoverI event while playing as Boudica of Rome.

On pangea.

:mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha: :mwaha:

12. Zanttu

Zanttu Pure Tactician

The worst part of random events is that some of them happen too many times in one game. After the same cow pasture is destroyed around 8-10 times for same reason, it starts to get pretty annoying. It's like I should keep a pair of workers on top of that tile all the time to get it up again when it gets destroyed by earthquake or something like that. And when there happens over 10 tragic mining accidents on the same plot, I'm starting to think if it would be better not to build the mine at all... This kind of ruins the "random" part of random events.

13. tycoonist

tycoonist Deity

tried it and missed not once but twice (in separate games though). having said that, i have had it about twenty times so i guess that's reasonable.

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Events can be really :wallbash: In a SG I'm playing ( MLG 5 ), a OCC where we have to win by conquest :devil: , I had the free cover and the free shock events.... Cool, isn't it? No if you don't have cooper nearby and iron will be only reachable when the city gets legendary culture :gripe:

15. Gliese 581

Hehe yeah I hate losing improvements. I try to always keep 20 gold though, to pay for forest fires and destroyed mines, so these are usually no problem. The slave uprising is something you just have to endure, since it's your capital you often lose most of the research for that turn early on.

16. kilkill

kilkill Chieftain

the more improvs u build, the less likely one will be destroyed 10 times throughout the game

17. Zanttu

Zanttu Pure Tactician

Yeah I usually keep at least 40-50 coins in the storage just for paying those random events, both good and bad ones. But it's still annoying when same event happens on same plot multiple times. I think the slave revolt as good improvement to the game, because that makes me think twice before switching to slavery. If I'm not going to whip anything, then I don't use slavery =P. It also favors spiritual leaders and micromanaging, and those suit well for me. IMHO the idea of random events is good and most of those events work pretty well, but some bugs are annoying. Barbarian uprising at 3000BC for instance is terrible bug I think.

18. The Rook

The Rook King

I'd just call it bad luck. This time you randomly lost the game, next time you may randomly get the Health Plant in 3000BC, and the 3rd trait could prove to be a winning advantage. ;)

On the whole I think random events are pretty lame. I always feel like I've fluked out when I get something really good, and ripped off when something farcically bad happens. Luck probably balances out overall... but very seldom over the period of a game.

19. Zanttu

Zanttu Pure Tactician

IMHO the random events should be things that either help on some areas or make it more challengive on others. It shouldn't be a roll of dice if you lose or if you win. AFAIK there's no event that provides you sure win, but barbarian uprising provides sure loss if it happens too early (assuming they really enter across the border, this doesn't always happen. Sometimes they just start wandering around outside my borders, like in my last game where I thought I was screwed. Then I built the Great Wall and they never crossed the border during the game...)

20. Gliese 581

When I get The Great Wall I actually hope for barbarian uprisings since they'll cause lots of problems for my neighbours if I'm lucky.

I just started another OCC as Ramesses and I wonder about a quest I got. I'm tasked to build 8 war chariots, is it possible to lose this quest unless you research the wrong tech? I mean, I'm Egypt, war chariots can't be built by others!