That's it - Liberty is complete utter worthless trash

yeah, but he seems willing to learn at least based on his tone. :)

noto2 man, here's why pyramids is one of the BEST early wonders in the game:

Sure, I guess you could skip the pyramids but why would you?

1. AI always neglects it meaning there is no risk to building (unlike every other one you'll always get it on immortal and probably on Deity too and it's dirt cheap. Usually <10 turns))

A little exaggeration there ;), the AI on immortal/deity will go for the pyramids in (rough guess here) about 25% of my games, it's not guaranteed. But I agree it's one of my favorite wonders in non-island games. In games where water is going to be lot of my tiles then pyramids are not worth it: a light house or the great lighthouse is a better investment.

On diety, no matter what victory condition I'm aiming for, I always open up tradition. Only at the sub-diety levels did I ever use liberty (I don't play those levels anymore). Tradition allows your capital to be double the size at the same cost of happiness than if you opened liberty, and helps it grow much faster. The free aqueducts early on are a huge benefit, not only because they help with growth, but that policy saves tons of hammers.

The optimal way to play for all victory conditions at diety is to have tall cities. Tradition directly leads to that and liberty does not.

The free aqueducts early on are a huge benefit, not only because they help with growth, but that policy saves tons of hammers.

An aqueduct is 100 hammers. You get 4 of them for free. That's 400 hammers.

Republic is +1 hammer per city. You only need 4 cities for 100 turns to get 400 hammers. Do you settle more than 4 cities and play for more than 100 turns?

The math doesn't really support your claim.

Republic is +1 hammer per city. You only need 4 cities for 100 turns to get 400 hammers. Do you settle more than 4 cities and play for more than 100 turns?

This is well done

Other than domination, I don't usually get even more than 3 cities. 4 cities is too much, unless you're blessed with a lot of luxuries and can get to the land before the AI does. Also, Civ5 has a huge snowballing effect. Saving hammers early is much better than saving it over time. 100 turns is far too long to recoup the difference.

Acqueducts don't come early they come at the end of the tree just like the other relevant bonus from tradition

Acqueducts don't come early they come at the end of the tree just like the other relevant bonus from tradition

On the surface, you're both correct. However; By "getting early aquaducts" I don't think he means, early on in the tree, he means that you get 4 aquaducts earlier than you can even research the tech for them. This means you're saving the 40% base food at an earlier Population size.

And sure, it's 400 hammers. But also consider the turns you save by not having to build them. It's an opportunity to build something else with those 100 hammers. Also, they're free. Much like the free culture buildings in tradition, or the free Mosque from Great Mosque of Djinn, you're not paying upkeep for those buildings for the entirety of the game. This allows you to cover the maintenance for a larger army without having to go into debt. Or maybe it means you don't have to sell a Lux to keep yourself out of debt which in turn means you can have 8 more citizens in your cap.

IDK if that makes it equal to Republic, but at least a little closer than how you guys were painting it.

On the surface, you're both correct. However; By "getting early aquaducts" I don't think he means, early on in the tree, he means that you get 4 aquaducts earlier than you can even research the tech for them. This means you're saving the 40% base food at an earlier Population size.

And sure, it's 400 hammers. But also consider the turns you save by not having to build them. It's an opportunity to build something else with those 100 hammers. Also, they're free. Much like the free culture buildings in tradition, or the free Mosque from Great Mosque of Djinn, you're not paying upkeep for those buildings for the entirety of the game. This allows you to cover the maintenance for a larger army without having to go into debt. Or maybe it means you don't have to sell a Lux to keep yourself out of debt which in turn means you can have 8 more citizens in your cap.

IDK if that makes it equal to Republic, but at least a little closer than how you guys were painting it.

I always overlook the hammer policy for the 4 other parts of liberty I actually care about:

1. Free settler + Double settlers for life
2. Free worker + 15% improvement speed for life
3. Golden Age + Social policy cost reduction for life
4. Free great person as finisher.

More production just makes liberty even more awesome, but those 4 are what I use it for, mostly for quick domination runs with composite bows.

More production just makes liberty even more awesome, but those 4 are what I use it for, mostly for quick domination runs with composite bows.

I'm not saying it isn't. I love the extra production. I'm just saying, it's not a simple a comparison as they are making it out to be.

Other than domination, I don't usually get even more than 3 cities. 4 cities is too much, unless you're blessed with a lot of luxuries and can get to the land before the AI does. Also, Civ5 has a huge snowballing effect. Saving hammers early is much better than saving it over time. 100 turns is far too long to recoup the difference.

You're not really saving the hammers that early though. You need to finish tradition, which is right about the time you'd be researching engineering anyway. I will admit that aqueducts 5-8ish turns earlier is a bonus, you're right about that, but it's not THAT good.

Definitely not compared to +1 hammer in every city which comes on T20ish at the latest (earlier than your free hammers that you want early), and 5% production to every building (of which you're building a lot of them). That's a lot of free hammers, earlier than your free hammers.

Also, they're free. Much like the free culture buildings in tradition, or the free Mosque from Great Mosque of Djinn, you're not paying upkeep for those buildings for the entirety of the game.

Lets not be kidding ourselves here. Maintenance costs for units go up, they stay the same for buildings. The aqueducts save you 4gpt. That's it. That's 4 units in the ancient, but it's 1 unit or less in later eras. You're not fielding a bigger army because of it. Liberty does have gold issues, I will give you that, but they tend to smooth out later on in the game as you get more citizens and can work things like merchant slots and plantations if you need to.

I always overlook the hammer policy for the 4 other parts of liberty I actually care about:

1. Free settler + Double settlers for life
2. Free worker + 15% improvement speed for life
3. Golden Age + Social policy cost reduction for life
4. Free great person as finisher.

Except for 3, these are all free hammer policies.

Free Worker - 70 hammers (okay fine, stealing is better. But most people will usually build 1 or 2 anyway, because they're not going to be stealing half a dozen like I will).
Free Settler - 106 hammers, + 53 hammers for every settler you build.
Free Engineer - 250 hammers.

If you're gonna argue "free hammers!" as your condition that Tradition is better, you're gonna lose. If you're gonna argue early hammers > late hammers, you're gonna lose. Might as well start coming up with another argument now.
Moderator Action: Arguing your point is fine, mocking others is not. Please stop trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You're not really saving the hammers that early though. You need to finish tradition, which is right about the time you'd be researching engineering anyway. I will admit that aqueducts 5-8ish turns earlier is a bonus, you're right about that, but it's not THAT good.

Definitely not compared to +1 hammer in every city which comes on T20ish at the latest (earlier than your free hammers that you want early), and 5% production to every building (of which you're building a lot of them). That's a lot of free hammers, earlier than your free hammers.

Lets not be kidding ourselves here. Maintenance costs for units go up, they stay the same for buildings. The aqueducts save you 4gpt. That's it. That's 4 units in the ancient, but it's 1 unit or less in later eras. You're not fielding a bigger army because of it. Liberty does have gold issues, I will give you that, but they tend to smooth out later on in the game as you get more citizens and can work things like merchant slots and plantations if you need to.

Except for 3, these are all free hammer policies.

Free Worker - 70 hammers (okay fine, stealing is better. But most people will usually build 1 or 2 anyway, because they're not going to be stealing half a dozen like I will).
Free Settler - 106 hammers, + 53 hammers for every settler you build.
Free Engineer - 250 hammers.

If you're gonna argue "free hammers!" as your condition that Tradition is better, you're gonna lose. If you're gonna argue early hammers > late hammers, you're gonna lose. Might as well start coming up with another argument now.
it's not simply the free aqueducts. It's the +25% growth to the capital with the extra food, the happiness cost cut in half for your capital as well as the +15% production bonus towards wonders. These policies directly benefit tall empires, and in Civ5, tall > wide.

Liberty is certainly doable, but less optimal.

Again, I only speak only at the deity level.

Again, I only speak only at the deity level.

Have you tried playing with mods that make the AIs harder, and then dropping the "difficulty" to remove the negative modifiers to happiness and other things which are the real reason that wide is harder to get to work at the higher difficulties?

Alright, we must be playing different games. Maybe it's that those of you who disagree with me are playing Huge/Pangea maps or something, but I can tell you that in my preferred map settings - Standard/Hemispheres - there is no room to make Liberty useful. Even if the AI were to sit on its capital and not expand at all, given the amount of land that CS take up, there would only be about a maximum of 5-6 expansion spots that would any sense at all. Of course, at least some of the AI's will rapidly expand so in any given game there are only about 3-4 expansion sites I have even a hope of claiming, and that's the absolute MAXIMUM.

The absolute highest number of cities I can get, without going to war, is about 4-5, and that's only if I spend the entire early game doing nothing but pumping out settlers and warriors. Given this, there is little reason to take Liberty at all.

I also stand by my assertion that the Pyramids suck on a standard non-pangea map. Building the Pyramids would mean I would only end up with 2-3 cities. The Pyramids are not worth losing 1-2 cities.

The only time I appreciate Liberty is when I conquer a huge empire very early in the game, such as when playing as Rome, where Rome is so strong in classic age warfare that it can dominate without taking Honour. Even then, if I play on warring later on, Honour would be at least as good as Liberty.

As for those of you saying the Tradition bonuses aren't good late in the game... what game are you playing again? Tradition gives you free buildings and faster growth. You talk of Liberty's bonus hammers, but you know what also gives you more hammers? More population. A size 14 Tradition city is going to have higher production than a size 11 Liberty city, as well as more science. The bonus to wonder building is nothing to sneeze at either. Again, at Immortal+ building any wonder at all is incredibly difficult, and the AI very frequently beats me to them by a mere turn or two. Aristocracy will speed that wonder production up by a few turns, which is enough to mean the difference of actually claiming it.

So it must be the map settings. I don't play Pangea so I don't know, but I'll assume a Huge/Pangea map can make good use of Liberty. Continents/Hemispheres on Standard size? No.

It's evident that Tradition has better production per city than liberty, because tradition cities are much bigger. However, liberty has much better production overall if you can find the land for your cities.

The biggest issue of Liberty in my view, is that in higher difficulties you don't get enough land for Liberty unless you are lucky with your spawn, or you go to war early. That's also why liberty comp bow rushes exist.

You guys keep talking about higher difficulties like its a trump all condition that makes tradition just better. I've played up to immortal and won, though it doesn't show up in my achievements because I was using interface mods, and the step from Prince to King wasn't that big of a deal. Then from King to emperor wasn't either. On immortal, I was still perfectly able to set up distant cities establishing borders; I play single player on small maps because I think of it as practice for multi player, and on a small Pangaea it meant getting roughly 6-8 cities consistently with liberty. Four city tradition, the strategy people drool about, has a flaw inherent from its title: it only works for four cities.

This has always been my problem with tradition. People always talk about imaginary bonuses to growth that tradition provides, and I honestly don't know where they're conjuring this from. There are two bonuses to growth in the tradition tree: one is a 2 food and 10% growth bonus that comes as a third tier policy of tradition, meaning it takes two other policies as well as the opener to unlock, and its bonus applies to ONLY ONE CITY, your capital, which is redundant because your capital should already have a lot of food from internal trade routes, better settling position, etc. Whatever about the redundancy, though, sure it's a nice policy. But again, it affects ONE CITY in your empire. This isn't a huge massive empire wide growth advantage and people often act like it is.

Of course there is a huge massive empire wide growth advantage in tradition. It comes at the finisher policy. You don't get your finisher policy until you FINISH the policy tree. This doesn't happen until partway through medieval, right? Unless you're playing Poland, or if you got the Oracle, or if you're like focusing great writers or something, you don't normally get your first tree done until the early to mid medieval era. The Acqueducts are kind of moot because you should be prioritizing engineering for the trade route and literally for Acqueducts, meaning they're a mid classical tech, so you'll probably ideally be building them by the late classical, which is before people usually finish their policy trees. Now the 15% empire wide is a nice finisher, but again, we should examine that it's realistically coming in the mid to late medieval. What else is unlocked during this time? Workshops and universities. Now the whole point of early game growth is that it's the most important output because it leads to both beakers and hammers. Growth is probably the most important resource early game, there's no arguing that; but I don't think anybody would argue that the reason it's the most important is because they like seeing a high crop yield demographic. It's important because you need it to get hammers and beakers, the most important resources across the entire game, as in to win the game. However, when key buildings are unlocked that allow players to specialize and focus things more effectively, which happens right around the medieval era, growth is replaced with the yields themselves as the most important thing to get because those resources are the whole point of growth. This means a 15% bonus to food essentially fuels a faster population growth without a real point. Your cities should already be working their key tiles and should still be growing by the time you finish your tree. If you need your cities to gain an extra 1.5 food for every 10, ally a couple city states. It'll result in a bonus that gets modified by other percentages and also is easier from liberty because a wider empire always produces a non-scaling resource faster, like gold. More tiles to work equals more output. What ends up happening is population growth for tradition cities happens marginally faster in for cities that are already starting to waver a bit in the population game. IE, a couple of turns faster from around populations 15-20.
However, because there's a pretty clear tapering out point for most cities in terms of pop. This happens around population 20-25. Tradition manages to get here about 10-15 turns faster than a liberty city, and by the end of the game it ends up with tradition having a nice capital and three expands that are about 20-23 population versus a liberty city's 15ish going to industrial and then dropping off around the same time. It would be a really nice bonus but it comes way too late to be relevant enough to be considered some awe inducing food advantage from tradition to liberty. For food I consider them side by side; either one will have cities burning through the first 5 or so pop, calming down around 6 and then picking up when they start working their improvements and buildings lighthouses and such things. Then they start slowing down again around 11. I guess the difference with tradition is that it allows some faster pop growth in specific periods of time within each city's growth, but most of the more important ones have passed by the time you're finishing tradition. But like I'm genuinely confused as to why people commend tradition by assuming it's got better growth bonuses when in reality it doesn't. Is there some secret growth bonus in oligarchy, the worst policy in the game, to make it more bearable? How about in legalism, a policy whose worth is surpassed in five turns in a well placed liberty expand?

Well the main thing that Tradition boosts is the capital, and the growth boost in the capital is very significant. Each population in your capital is going to be worth a lot more than a citizen in another city.

I'm also looking at this thematically. One strategy in the game is to have a smaller empire, with taller cities, wonder spamming, and generating a lot of output with just a few cities. Tradition really helps with this.

Another way to play is to have a large empire with more cities and have a higher science/hammer output due to sheer size. My MAIN point is at immortal that seems impossible to do peacefully. I don't see how, on a standard size map, you can consistently settle more than 5-6 cities in decent locations. In my wide empire war games I often have 15 cities, I know how to play wide, I know how to manage a wide economy, but it always requires war to get there.

It's not like Civ 4 where you could actually get a wide empire by employing a REX strategy without going to war. In Civ 5 this basically seems impossible. There's no way you're going to settle 8-9 cities yourself by the medieval age except in extremely weird and lucky map conditions. The biggest you can get without war is about 5. If you try to settle more than that you're going to have cities in really lousy locations.

So if the only way you can get big is war, then what is the purpose of Liberty? In constant war game I'd rather go with Honour, or even Tradition to help me tech faster to a UU (like if I'm playing as Japan). Liberty is totally unnecessary.

Well the main thing that Tradition boosts is the capital, and the growth boost in the capital is very significant. Each population in your capital is going to be worth a lot more than a citizen in another city.

I'm also looking at this thematically. One strategy in the game is to have a smaller empire, with taller cities, wonder spamming, and generating a lot of output with just a few cities. Tradition really helps with this.

Another way to play is to have a large empire with more cities and have a higher science/hammer output due to sheer size. My MAIN point is at immortal that seems impossible to do peacefully. I don't see how, on a standard size map, you can consistently settle more than 5-6 cities in decent locations. In my wide empire war games I often have 15 cities, I know how to play wide, I know how to manage a wide economy, but it always requires war to get there.

It's not like Civ 4 where you could actually get a wide empire by employing a REX strategy without going to war. In Civ 5 this basically seems impossible. There's no way you're going to settle 8-9 cities yourself by the medieval age except in extremely weird and lucky map conditions. The biggest you can get without war is about 5. If you try to settle more than that you're going to have cities in really lousy locations.

So if the only way you can get big is war, then what is the purpose of Liberty? In constant war game I'd rather go with Honour, or even Tradition to help me tech faster to a UU (like if I'm playing as Japan). Liberty is totally unnecessary.

It was possible up until Gods and Kings I understand. It was BNW which brought in the harsh wide penalties, because prior to that, the optimal strategy was to REX every game.

People always talk about imaginary bonuses to growth that tradition provides

What's imaginary about it? It's right there in the tool tip. You receive +25% with tradition.

and its bonus applies to ONLY ONE CITY, your capital, which is redundant because your capital should already have a lot of food from internal trade routes, better settling position, etc

In most games, your capital is the mot important city. Cultural victory is very capital-centric. Also, +25% isn't "redundant". It's applied to your city after the food from internal trade routes.

You still get +15% to all of your cities.

It comes at the finisher policy. You don't get your finisher policy until you FINISH the policy tree. This doesn't happen until partway through medieval, right?

So what? The game doesn't end at medieval. There's a diminishing return effect on growth and tradition helps to minimize that. You typically need to be growing all game.

The Acqueducts are kind of moot because you should be prioritizing engineering for the trade route and literally for Acqueducts, meaning they're a mid classical tech, so you'll probably ideally be building them by the late classical, which is before people usually finish their policy trees.

Actually, the standard tech path is to get education at that point, which involves policies in the top of the tech tree. Tradition finisher gives you free aqueducts without having to dip down. And you certainly shouldn't be prioritizing workshops before universities.

...the step from Prince to King wasn't that big of a deal

The step from immortal to deity is huge. It's almost like the game is missing a difficulty in between. Any approach that work on deity, can be applied to the lower levels. The reverse isn't true.

So what? The game doesn't end at medieval. There's a diminishing return effect on growth and tradition helps to minimize that. You typically need to be growing all game.

You will have a higher population with liberty. More population equals more science, right? That's what you've been saying all along? So how does a 25 pop capital and 7 15 pop cities not end up being more than your 40 pop capital and 3 25 pop cities?

In most games, your capital is the mot important city. Cultural victory is very capital-centric.

Disagree totally. It's capital centric if you're playing tradition. If you're not, it's very much spread out all over the place, because you will A) have another city that is very close to your capital in production to assist in things like cranking out Globe WHILE your capital builds Pisa, instead of using the GE from Pisa to catch Globe, and B) you have much more land, which means more landmarks, more museums, and more tourism from artifacts. Wide makes CV's a lot easier in my experience than turtling down spamming wonders because you can't get Archeologists anywhere to get any artifacts, and it doesn't matter anyway because you only have 4 museums.

Actually, the standard tech path is to get education at that point, which involves policies in the top of the tech tree. Tradition finisher gives you free aqueducts without having to dip down. And you certainly shouldn't be prioritizing workshops before universities.

Acken turned me on to something completely different, which was go to CS, then Metal Casting, THEN education with liberty. It works amazingly well and produces very similar finish times. The reason being that universities don't mean anything when your population is low, it takes forever to build them if you have no production, and it smooths out the build queue. You can finish your stables and markets and stoneworks and stuff, build aqueducts, and as soon as you're done with those, workshops are available, and then by the time you've built those, universities are available, which are built in half the time thanks to the increased production and population in your cities. Even your last expansion will build a uni in 10-12 turns, which is half of what my 4th city will take building in via tradition. You don't end up being very far behind an education rush at all, and you have better cities to boot. It's extremely effective for liberty.

Top Bottom