1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The 1st one to sail arround the world thing..

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by sekong, Nov 14, 2005.

1. sekong

sekong Net Surfer

I never get one in my game yet. So don't what's the correct term in civ4. You know it's refere to Magellan's Voyage or equivelent. Anyone had it? Is it possible in random map? How to achieve it?

2. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Sail around the World.

3. theorykid

theorykid Chieftain

I've gotten it 3 times. Twice with Caravels on continent maps, because there is lots of ocean to go through. you just have to get started as soon as you discover the tech.

My last game i had it quite early...Archpelgio (sp? ) with tiny islands. There is enough coast that with a few open border treaties, i made it around with a galley.

The main point is to decide to try, and devote a ship to it. if the AI has a huge tech lead and get Caravels far before you, you're pretty much out of luck.

4. Dimy

Dimy Monarch

I don't think you have to necessarily do it with one ship... just prove that the word isn't flat. So fastest way to do this, is to build two caravels, let one sail west and the other east till they meet in the middle :)

5. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Do you get any bonus/reward for this?

6. kattana

kattana Chieftain

yes, +1 ship movement

its nice

7. Dimy

Dimy Monarch

Yeah, all your naval units get +1 movement bonus

8. Monado

Monado Chieftain

+1 movement to all your naval ships for the rest of the game

9. Pentium

Pentium Digital Matter

Wow, triple crosspost.

Thanks. So it's just as useless as Magellan's Voyage :( I might bother sometime.

10. Dimy

Dimy Monarch

It's the honour..the glory... the...ah nevermind ;) It's just a fun achievement and doesn't cost you much, so I always try to be the "first" to circumnavigate the globe in my games.

11. heppcatt

heppcatt Chieftain

Yes, that's the way I do it, and it works fine ... :)

heppcatt

12. kattana

kattana Chieftain

>Thanks. So it's just as useless as Magellan's Voyage I might bother sometime.

that REALLY depends on the map type.

if you are playing on a map that really requires naval units, then it is a boon for you.

take that, add in refridgeration that gives you another +1(tell me HOW..LOL)

and then add in the level bonuses you can get, and you can have some serious movement on your naval units allowing you to out run..or chase down as needed.

LOL on one of my destroyers it had a 12 movement...very sweet

13. Dismal

Dismal Boo

Refrigeration means you can freeze food, hence being able to take more food with you resulting in longer voyages.

14. Dominico

Dominico Chieftain

Also if your boat gets holes in it or sinks you can get in the rifridgerator and sail on it. Aslong as its still full of ice it will float.

Or you could make a boat out of ice and float home on that!

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Actually they don't have to meet each other.

All you have to do is have a map that includes one square from every North-South running longitude column.
    You could have a map that goes from Iceland to Russia to China to Brazil to South Africa and you would achieve it even though you never 'meet' the other end of your map.

16. LoneWolf5050

LoneWolf5050 Chieftain

I know this wasn't the point of your post, but I just have to mention that circumnavigating the globe was not what was required to prove the earth is not flat (though it does of course prove that).

The Greeks proved the earth is not flat using geometry and measuring the angle of the sun at widely differing places on the surface of the earth at the same moment. That was millenia before Columbus.

And even in the middle ages, learned folks didn't really think the earth was flat. Ancient knowledge was being rediscovered and not all of it was lost in the first place (Italy never really had a "dark age" the same as France, England and Germany). Columbus didn't suddenly turn the scientific community on its head when he returned from his voyage.

We have actually had many more "paradigm shifting" discoveries and achievements in the 20th century than at any time before. Starting in 1905 when Einstein published several papers that year which basically rewrote all of physics at once.

--Julian

17. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

What you said, Julian. There are days when I'd be willing bet there are more flat-earth believers alive today than at any time in the past. :-D

Note: Columbus didn't come close to circumnavigating the globe, of course. He did find colonizable land to the west of Europe, which some thought was a pretty good trick.

18. lysander

lysander Chieftain

Well Columbus's voyage certainly did produce a paradigm shift, but it wasn't the one people usually think of. The pre-columbian model for mapping the world had the East at the top, Europe at the bottom, and Jerusalem at the center. While learned scholars had known that the world was round since Hellenistic Greece, they thought that all the land was on one side of the orb and the other side was just water. They also saw Europe as the bottom of the world and as simply a marginal area. The discovery of the new world put Europe right in the middle of the two worlds and significantly boosted their egos, as well as flipping everyone's maps around and making people rethink how big the globe actually was (although again, the Greeks had actually come up with a remarkably good estimate more than a thousand years before).

19. €l Gordo

€l Gordo Chieftain

That, and refrigerated oil-based fuel takes less space meaning if kept at a constant cold level you can fit more fuel on board and can sail further / faster on a "tank". Quite common on posh tubs like sunseekers.

don't try it on your non-temp-controlled car by filling at 2am cos once its daylight it'll expand enough to pour through the breather pipe and make road surfaces dangerous for other road users :(

20. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Chieftain

In a game that is at least one year per turn, refridgeration probably represents greater range since ships with it do not have to put into port to resupply as often as before.