1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2010s

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aimeeandbeatles, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Patine

Patine Deity

But the Vietnam War itself (which was widely seen as the latter type of war in my post above) allowed Nixon to handily defeat Humphrey (very much the political heir apparent to Johnson) in 1968, despite his own timetables and exact plans on withdrawl from, and wrapping up, the Vietnam War and a phasing out and end to the draft, being quite nebulous and non-committal in terms of details. Likewise, despite the draft itself not being an issue, but a similar situation, John McCain was DOA upon nomination in 2008, as was everyone else in the GOP Primary race of the year, except MAYBE Ron Paul...

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I hope we don't go to war. That would lead to a lot of dead people.

3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

The Vietnam Communist government had absolutely no chance of threatening Americans on American soil. China + Russia + Iran + all other groups allied with each other are easily capable of that against an American military without a draft. Thus would be more than enough to sway public opinion to not be against said draft.

4. Patine

Patine Deity

There was a border war in the late 1800's between the U.S. and the British Empire (on behalf of Canada) over the San Juan Islands and a nebulously-worded maritime border where a pig was the only verified casualty. There was a similar one between Greece and Bulgaria in the 1920's where a dog who ignored it's master and ran across the border was the only verified casualty. Next to no other wars let their belligerent nations' populations off nearly so lightly, I'm afraid...

caketastydelish likes this.
  5. Patine

Patine Deity

I'm referring to the casus belli. If it's so blatantly and insultingly to the intelligence started by a U.S. government who WANTS a war, without care for the attitudes of the people themselves, then it would be very different, wouldn't it? In this Internet Age, when the "Tonkin Gulf Incident 2.0" to seemingly justify aggression against Iran on an obvious false flag fell flat almost instantly, I'm not sure how well that kind of war would carry popular support.

6. caketastydelish

Then we are talking about two different things.

7. Patine

Patine Deity

Not at all. The enemies may be same. I'm differentiating between the reasons such a horrible war would start, in a broad sense.

8. caketastydelish

In WW2 we were attacked first. I was comparing this to that.

9. r16

r16 not deity

yours idiotly was on the records of ranting 2014 was coming , then it was to wait for Bush III in 2017 , then oh my , we see your people are not exactly full of a thing for war , despite an alliance with Israel bound with hydrocarbons . America doesn't want Star Wars , too , sending it over to be mutilated by London , which acually put James Bond in it as deterrence , though ı hasten to add that ı have nothing against the actor in question .

10. r16

r16 not deity

ı would like to object , without hostility and stuff , now that Grenada was like stuff that the US Services had a lot , really a lot of discussion inside . And not every American critic in the US Media is like a long haired hippi draft evader and the like . ı grew up in the 80s , reading stuff about the latest American victory ...

11. Josu

Josu King

Well,

I was introduced to my wife in 2009, we started dating in 2010, we bought a flat in 2015 we got married in 2016.
    In 2009 I was stuck in my job, I did not like too much wath I was doing there were no views of promotions or salary rises, I was in a project in which I was being assigned more and more dutties, the workload was increasing and each month one or two project-mates were fired. This situation went worst until 2015, when the project in which I was working was deprecated, and the human resources guy told me that if he was not able to find a project for my I would be fired in two months, I had several rows with him due to his lack of tact, and mostly because he is a jerk.
    The company was in a delicate situation so I figured myself unemployed and searching for a job the year in which I had to prepare a wedding.
    They found a project for me, which lastest 6 months, the HR guy blamed me for being just six moths in this project. I had more rows with him. I got not fired because my current project manager told them that a new project was incoming and he wanted me in. I got a promotion since then and three salary rises.

I still am keep in touch with my life-long friends, however I do not meet them as much as I would like.

In retrospective I think it has been a good decade, but I do not feel whole

Kyriakos likes this.
  12. aimeeandbeatles

That is good. Except for the bad parts.

13. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

My decade went pretty well. I decided to get a GED and a bachelor's degree in a very challenging field. It took almost a full decade to get both of those things but I got through it and landed up exactly where I wanted to be in my chosen field. I also got married and started living independently though most of the decade was spent in grueling poverty but we overcame that as well. Still not as established as I'd like financially or career-wise but getting there. I've long since accepted I'm about a decade behind my age group when it comes to career goals but I don't care. I had a pretty meteoric rise after getting my first aerospace job and have made up for a lot of that missed opportunity; the only thing I am lacking really compared to the average thirty-something is number of years of experience. As for actual experience, I have a lot more of it than most people as I was lucky in that I landed extremely dynamic jobs that allowed me to do a wide variety of tasks and become proficient at them. But I don't have those calendar years of experience in my track record which makes job hunting marginally more difficult.

You have to qualify this. It's unreachable for you or I to go into orbit at the moment,but there are two services on the cusp of taking people into space (not orbit) and solid prospects for orbital flight in the next decade. For satellites, it has gotten much easier to get into space than a decade ago. Prices have fallen tremendously while the number of launchers has increased and they've gotten better and now feature re-use for the first time in a big way (I discount shuttle re-use for a lot of reasons).
    I remember at the beginning of this decade people tried to call it the 'aughts' but it didn't catch on. People also used to call the millenials Gen Y around the beginning of the decade but that got dropped as soon as millenial entered the lexicon.
    I thought the 2010's had better fashion than the 00's to be honest.
    SLS will definitely get off the pad next year. It's unclear if it will continue launching after the administration changes over but they're already building hardware for the second+ flights. In any case, if the moon program gets cancelled then the SLS won't matter too much as it's already outclassed in every respect except payload mass by newer rockets. It's sad that it was obsoleted before it ever left the drawing board.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Hygro, The_J and Truthy like this.
  14. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

meh, 1920s was best, at least for women's fashions.

15. Patine

Patine Deity

Well, it is when Coco Chanelle "broke the corset," as the saying went. I've actually read about her turning women's fashion from the stiff, "torture suits" of the Victorian and Edwardian Ages to the more sportive and naturally shaped and cut styles that dominated later.

AmazonQueen likes this.
  16. aimeeandbeatles

That is good.

Hygro and hobbsyoyo like this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

I'm on the fence as to whether or not conscription will be necessary in such a war. It all depends on what form the war takes. Plus, the US has several contingencies in place to avoid conscription. Basically, once active duty forces are stretched thin, the National Guard and Reserves get pressed into service. If that's not enough, then the Inactive Ready Reserve is pressed into service. Those are people that are no longer in the military, but still have time left on their contract (every enlistment contract is 8 years with varying combinations of time on active duty and time in the IRR). After that, any veterans that are still fit for service will be called back. It is only after all those options have been exhausted will the government resort to widespread conscription of civilians.

When you consider that modern force multipliers have drastically reduced personnel requirements and the fact that the last two options before conscription gives the US military a pool of millions to draw from, conscription of civilians may not be necessary unless things start going really, really bad for the US and NATO.

18. Patine

Patine Deity

Also, I think you are making another mistake in judgement about your "one-sided war" idea, that many in the West seem to. That is, the Russian and Chinese military technology are not actually lagging nearly as far behind the American standard as they were at the end of the Cold War. Have you actually read schematics, or even appraisals, of the most recent military vehicles and weapons released into service by those two nations. I think the walkover military campaign you're expecting will be as shockingly non-existent as the one James Madison expected when he invaded Canada in 1812...

19. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Unfortunately, it did. More of the same. I kind of ranted about it just now on another thread. I am not personally hurting, but I'm dismayed at things around...

20. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Schematics and appraisals mean next to nothing. Just look at the Leopard 2 tank. It used to be widely regarded as the best tank in the world, and on paper it certainly was. However, its first real trial by combat, Syria, proved the Leopard 2 wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Also, power projection is where both Russia and China suffer from huge deficiencies compared to the US. Their militaries may be good at defending their respective homelands, but in a war against the US and NATO, they are going to need the ability to strike far beyond their borders. That is a capability neither Russia nor China have at the moment that both the US and NATO do have. This became painfully obvious for Russia during their 2008 invasion of Georgia. I was in the Army at the time and we were following the invasion as it was happening. We were not impressed with what we saw. The invasion was extremely disorganized, with ground units seemingly acting independently instead of in concert with one another, and air support seemingly striking random targets instead of hitting targets that provided real support to the men on the ground. It's almost as if the Russian military's command and control apparatus was almost non-existent and the only reason the invasion was successful is because the Georgian military was even more disorganized than the Russians.

And that was a nation literally on Russia's border. If they were that disorganized in that invasion, what makes you think they have the capability to coordinate what would be a global military campaign against a major power?

The Chinese are more of an unknown though since they haven't really engaged in any major military conflicts recently. I think that lack of combat experience would work against them though.