The 2010s

I wonder if the 2010's are the first complete decade that the US was involved in fighting a war. It's pretty sad to think about

I wonder if the 2010's are the first complete decade that the US was involved in fighting a war. It's pretty sad to think about

There were a thousand "military advisors" in Viet Nam in 1959 and that number was rising fast, and the US pulled out in 1973, so the sixties. Odd that isn't immediately obvious given that there was a whole lot more protest over it at the time than there has been about the current situation.

I kind of hate my own point here but I look at this and figure the war was 65 to 73. I know the advisors were in there and active before that but has there ever been a decade when the US wasn't involved in low-level conflict somwhere?

In any case, you're right in that for all practical purposes it was a solid decade. I just finished Ken Burn's series on the war about 2 weeks ago so it's especially odd I didn't think of it.

Hey, at least we aren't England. They fought the Hundred Sixteen Years War with France. Comparatively we're doing pretty ok.

I'm a bit resistant about using "US deaths" as the measure for being involved in a war. USians always seem to think that the only lives that matter are theirs.

I remember hearing about some awful accident in another country where like hundreds of people died and the CBC headline was something like "three or four Canadians dead in this horrible accident." :dubious:

(Some of) my favorite PC games of the 2010s:
Bioshock 2
Civilization V
Dishonored
Dishonored 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Firewatch
FTL: Faster Than Light
The Long Dark
Metro 2033
Metro: Last Light
Path of Exile
Portal 2
Subnautica
World of Tanks
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
XCOM 2

It's been weird cus I kind of ended up where I thought I would, but would've never guess at the events along the way or how it would go. I got married at the end of 2009, so a couple years of marriage pre kids, then a child, then built a house and moved across town, a couple job promotions, another child. A lot of major life events.

Is it? Aren't skinny jeans still in?
Anything is better than the ridiculously oversized and baggy jeans of the 90s and early 2000's.
Plus, the ultra-skinny jeans don't seem that common anymore. Slim/fitted jeans seem to be what's in and they will always look pretty good.

Pop music is pretty bad. Then again it was also pretty bad last decade.

There was some good rock music from this decade. This is my favourite song of those released this year:

World conquest is stalling for now... but on the plus side I got two sons so I'd say the 10's went great.

On the negative aspect, I note that minority defense is turning more and more into freedom/free speech restraining in my country, which I think isn't the way to go... (knowledge, culture, and tolerance to other opinions seem so unfashionable these days).
I am not particularly enthusiastic about the 20's regarding that aspect...

oh and a big hug to Synsensa

Does it seem like rock music is completely dead? 90s seemed mostly driven by Seattle grunge but we had bands like STP, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, man I'm sure I'm missing many many more. Then 2000s started off kind of ok, Linken Park, Incubus, Puddle of Mud, White Strips, hmm what else? 2010s seems like just pop cross over crap like Imagine Dragons. I can't think of any real rock bands any more except maybe Black Keys and Rival Songs, maybe a couple others, but it's really thinned out.

Does it seem like rock music is completely dead?

I thought the same thing at one point.

Unless I made a mistake, all of these were released some point in the last two years. And are just the ones I can actually remember off-hand.

Spoiler :

Part two (limit of how many videos I can post):

Spoiler :

Part three:

Spoiler :

Wikipedia says they're a Swedish rock band. Hard rock/heavy metal/doom metal/psychedelic rock/prog-rock/pop-rock. I think I've heard them once or twice actually.

Does it seem like rock music is completely dead?
I wouldn't say so. A lot of what I've been listening to has featured women, but I don't know if that's significant of a larger trend or is just a glimpse into my tortured psyche.

Spoiler :
Dark n' sexy goth

Drive-too-fast power metal

Ol' fashioned blues-rock

Gloomy Viking metal

Pop rock

Top Bottom