The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Will the best prediction score points?
Just to add a speck of competition ?

I like the idea. With everyone's permission, I'd like to set an Excel file to keep track of it. One right guess=one point.

Also, as a public service announcement, I'd like to point out to the alarmingly sizeable contingent of people who believe in the Swiss to go on, that half of their defense (Schär and captain Lichtsteiner) is disqualified. Just in case someone would actually place money on their team.

I like the idea. With everyone's permission, I'd like to set an Excel file to keep track of it. One right guess=one point.
I speak on behalf of everyone! Good idea, go for it.
Also, as a public service announcement, I'd like to point out to the alarmingly sizeable contingent of people who believe in the Swiss to go on, that half of their defense (Schär and captain Lichtsteiner) is disqualified. Just in case someone would actually place money on their team.
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Ah well, let it roll.

Aaand it's done! Incidentally, tomorrow's matches are the ones the forum is most divided about so far: 8-7 both. But of course that's open to change as more predictions appear.

Good idea!
Crap, I forgot about Schär and Lichtsteiner being out...I still stand by my pick...
Surprising to see the amount of posters picking Russia over Spain...I would love it if the hosts pull it off, but I don't think it's going to happen...

France v. Argentina
Uruguay v. Portugal
Spain v. Russia
Croatia v. Denmark
Brazil v. Mexico - Until the Sweden match, I would have picked Mexico.
Belgium v. Japan
Sweden v. Switzerland
Colombia v. England

Again, I don't see the necessity.

France vs Argentina
And yet you provide the excuse nonetheless. :D
I think England should be able to beat Colombia, but I've been supporting England long enough to know that there is no limit to their ability to disappoint.
I myself have been supporting anyone but England long enough to know that there is no limit to their ability to disappoint.
Will the best prediction score points?
Just to add a speck of competition ?
We really should reinstate elimination games.
I've taken the liberty of doing a quick tally.

France 9
vs Argentina 8

Uruguay 9
vs Portugal 7

Spain 12
vs Russia 4

Croatia 15
vs Denmark 1 wtf snerk are you siding with the traitor manager

Brazil 13
vs Mexico 3

Belgium 15
vs Japan 1

Sweden 13
vs Switzerland 3

Colombia 6
vs England 10​

We'll see, right?

France vs Argentina
Uruguay vs Portugal (Ronaldo sent off)
Spain vs Russia
Croatia vs Denmark
Brazil vs Mexico (At the end, Brazil with 9 men on field, 2 in diving pool.)
Belgium vs Japan
Sweden
vs Switzerland
Colombia vs England

So, the runner-up of the England and Belgium group would actually have an "easier" path to the final...I wonder how that game will turn out with both sides knowing this...

I saw speculation like this floated a lot last week, and I can't say I follow it. It just seems that there's too much stock being put in legacies and reputation and too little in the performances at hand, namely that all the teams "to avoid" haven't been impressive at all so far. Germany, for some reason, was discussed as one of those tough opponents, even though from the first game, and the second, it was clear they had serious problems. This year's Argentina, Brazil, and maybe even Portugal to an extent all seem to be teams you'd think any team with a real shot at winning would want to face soon.

France vs Argentina
Uruguay vs Portugal
Spain vs Russia
Croatia vs Denmark
Mexico vs Brazil
Belgium vs Japan
Sweden vs Switzerland
England vs. Colombia

England will have a harder first round than Belgium, but very likely a harder quarter final (Belgium-Brazil vs England-Sweden). I don't think it's really worth losing intentionally, unless you're hoping for Spain to mess up on its side, which would probably mean Croatia in the semifinals. Which is probably easier than Belgium's semifinal against whoever gets out of the Fr-Arg/Uru-Por side

Okay, France-Argentina is about to start. I'll be posting sometime in the evening early results - pretty sure I'm going to miss Uruguay-Portugal (alas, people close to me are of the mind that one can actually do something better than watch football matches on Saturday).

As Takhisis anticipated, forum vote says France and Uruguay will pass today. Let's see!

That Di María strike... amazing stuff. I feel France has been deadly on the counters and Argentina's defense simply can't stop them, especially when Mbappe runs straight on towards them...

Well, at least nobody will be able to complain about a lack of goals.

Edit :
Holy effing gawd.
Mbape is so much on fire that he's going to ignite the whole stadium by himself.

Last edited:
The suspense was intense. Argentine very very nearly equalized at the absolute end.

Great game this one turned out to be...Mbappe was amazing and Argentina kept fighting and found their 3rd goal too late...I can see this one becoming a WC classic.

Top Bottom