1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by BirraImperial, Jun 6, 2018.

1. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Man, that was much closer for Croatia than I expected...

2. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Proud of our guys, they fought really good.
    And kudos to Super-Mario no matter what :)

Uberfrog, BirraImperial and Tigranes like this.
  3. Sofista

Sofista Deity

And now the quarters are behind us, too. Let's take a look.

Still confidently leading, with eleven palindromic points, Uberfrog, closer and closer to the finish line and obsessively polishing his crystal ball.

Very close, with ten points and the eyes on the lead, is the Terrible Trio of caketastydelish, Ozbenno and Serutan.

Outside double-digits Heaven, hoping for a chance to close the gap, AdrienIer, BirraImperial, Sofista, ThERat and Turquoiside.

A step below, with eight points, are red_elk, Rik Meleet and shadowplay.

With seven points, fighting to recover, are Ferocitus, Snerk and Takhisis.

Closing the group, at six points, raen. CFC vote is still at eleven.

Tonight's game was really enjoyable. Russia did all she could, and leaves the competition undefeated: sometimes when you truly want something, you get it. I'm concerned about Croatia's battered players and enrgy expenditure, but perhaps the extra day of rest will be enough. Modric was fantastic and inexhaustible, but once again it's the goalie the one who kept the team afloat once the wind started blowing from the East.

4. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Semifinals:

France - Belgium
    Croatia - England

5. raen

raen Coat of Arms

6. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

France - Belgium
    Croatia - England

7. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Heartbroken for Russia, this was so close, not even 0:0 penalty but 2:2!.. Most interesting Mundial hands down... Croatia in top 4! They deserved it.

red_elk likes this.
  8. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

With golden goal you would not see 2:2 in today's game. The golden goal and silver goal were widely perceived as failed experiments. They had not brought about more active and attacking play and there was confusion when events could choose among several different extra time rules.

In a qualification game for the 1994 Caribbean Cup, Barbados deliberately scored a late own goal in a successful attempt to qualify for the finals by forcing golden-goal extra time against Grenada, as an unusual tournament rule stated that golden goals counted double in calculating goal difference. Needing a two-goal victory to qualify, Barbados found themselves 2–1 up with three minutes left of normal time. After the Barbadians scored an own goal to bring the scoreline level at 2–2, Grenada tried to score in either net while Barbados defended both goals for the final three minutes of normal time. Barbados won the game in extra time and advanced to the next round.

Uberfrog likes this.
  9. cain3456

cain3456 King

Exactly my point. Croatia should've been awarded the win at 2-1, and not have to play extra time going to the shootout.
    The Barbados situation was silly and showed if a silly rule can be exploited, it will be.

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

This is the first day I've ever gotten 100% of the results right. btw Brazil scored twice yesterday but I didn't get a point…?
    :groucho:
    Even FIFA cannot help them. In 2014 they were already quite bad.

11. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

I'm betting on Belgium and Croatia.

France - Belgium
    France: 2 - Belgium: 2
    Croatia - England
    Croatia: 3 - England: 1​

btw I might change my bet on Croatia to one on England if the Croats pop up injured in these days. They have an extra 30 minutes of play on the English, for now.

No, they don't. They lost to Uruguay three-nil.
    What extra day?

12. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I think with Croatia having to go to extra time in their previous 2 games will be a big advantage for England. Before I would have definitely chosen Croatia to beat England and go through, now i'm not so sure.

13. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Well, yes, but England played extra time against Colombia, too. So it's a tentative thing. I wonder whether Subašić will be able to keep playing.

14. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

England had little trouble to beat Sweden and reach the semifinals for the first time since 1990. I think while they haven't faced serious opposition (except Belgium in the group stage), they're still a very good team and have the potential to win it all...
    Heartbroken for Russia after their great effort vs Croatia...Before the World Cup started, no one thought they would reach the quarterfinals, let alone a penalty-shootout away from the semis...The fans, although sad, must feel extremely proud of this team...

red_elk likes this.
  15. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

My picks for the semifinals:

France - Belgium
    Croatia - England

I want Belgium to win, but I think France has a lot of quality in Mbappe and Griezmann. Belgium has also very good players, I think this one could go either way...The World Champions will come out of this match...
    England will take advantage of a tired Croatian team, and with a potentially injured Subašić and reach the final for the first time since they're WC in 1966...

16. ThERat

ThERat Deity

@Sofista, I think I should have 10 points too as I got all 4 quaters correctly, means 6+4 points = 10

Prediction for the semis:
    France - Belgium
    Croatia
    - England

17. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

France vs Belgium
    Croatia vs England

I think Belgium have shown remarkable resilience, and they can go all the way, even against a powerful French side.

England will have a tough fight against Croatia, but if they play like they did yesterday they can do it.

I’m pleased that my fantasy final is actually a distinct possibility, and as @Rakkoon said, it’ll be fantastic to see an England v Belgium rematch with the A-teams. Honestly, though, I’m pretty satisfied with the semi-finals as they stand, and any of these teams holding the trophy will be well-deserved.

18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Creator

England finally up against a good team? ^_^

I'd like to support England, but given how overkill any celebration will be if they go to the final, i just won't.
    Come to think of it... Lineker was deified despite England not going to the final in the 1990 WC in Italy. So maybe it is already too late...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  19. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

France vs Belgium
    Croatia vs England

Both matches pretty close. Croatia too many injury concerns I think.

20. red_elk

red_elk Deity

FIFA may sanction Croatian player for shouting political slogans during the celebration:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...independence-video-latest-watch-a8437146.html