The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Macron, like Hollande before him, is a genuine football fan.

Why would he?
Macron is a guest and he is having a good time - it's always a pleasure for the host.

No, he is smiling. This is a smile.
!!!
I felt like Croatia deserved a least a draw from the 1st half, but France pulled away in the 2nd half. They were too good.
I think it was that the tiredness of having played three extra times (an entire extra match!) and having one full day fewer to rest finally told and they made stupid mistakes (an own goal and a very daft handball). It's as in the 1999 Rugby World Cup, when five teams qualified directly for the quarter-finals and another six played repechage matches for the remaining three spots; all the teams that had played the extra midweek match then lost in the QF.

Congratulations to France for winning the World Cup...I was thinking back during the Euro 2016, that this French team had lots of potential and would eventually win at least a big trophy in their generation...I just didn't think back then it was going to be this soon...They're one of the youngest teams of this cup and that can only mean that the future is very bright for them...
As for Croatia, they might have lost the final, but they won everyone's admiration for sure...I don't know if playing 3 extra times finally took a toll of them, but they surely gave it their all and made it an entertaining final, one of the best in years...

I'm glad that Modric got the best player award. He played very good in the world cup. (and for Real Madrid in the previous season)

Hazard had a shot too but Modric had some tough times as a kid and is great with his fans. He's a true captain and deserves it!

Also, Hazard is 27 and still has chances, while Modric is 32.

Speaking about awards, I'm curious: how will they contrive to give Cristiano or Leo the Golden Ball this year?

Cristiano “third-best” Ronaldo

-only player to score thrice in the same match in the WC
-managed to ‘win’ the UECL
-is devilishly handsome, or at least he says he is
-rumoured to have sold almost as much in merchandising since he joined Juve as his transfer cost

Messi
-managed to have Sampaoli's career ruined without tarnishing his own (the big revelation in Argentine press this week was that it's now official that Messi and Mascherano wanted to be the real coaches
-won a domestic Double, losing only one league game and also getting a record fourth Cup win in a row
-has a terrific beard

Just back from France, if I have to hear Allez allez allez one more time...

Last edited:
I remember the way they cut down Cryuff mercilessly and repeatedly.
I'm surprised he could walk after some of the WC games he played in.

My big teenager hero :)

Saw him many times... also at trainings... also at "the hill" in the Amsterdam Forest, where I trained as well (for volleybal)
He did not accept conventional wisdoms from trainers and the so-called experts.... damned stubborn and self-reliant... stood his ground with his opinions

If you solo or dribble you first have to get the ball past your next opponent... and then both your legs !

If you look precisely at how Cruiff solo dribbles... he himself being light weight with explosive agility.... he uses mostly his speed or first outbalances his opponent making it difficult for the opponent to tackle or a foul tackle high... lower tackles easier to evade.
I think when passing an opponent he was most of all focussed at not being fouled.
Much of his talent was in his head... in anticipating... in his surround awareness

But yeah... he was hit a lot.
And he knew that he had a frail... if not a weak body.
Between matches he was at the trainings, but did as little as possible physical demanding trainings.... more technical with a bit of easy going jogging.
Traditional trainers and fans expect their heroes to "work" at trainings.
Cruijff was not lazy... he protected his weak body.

Here a nice vid where you can see him evading those assaults on his legs.
Football is more physical now.. but the 70ies assaults on your legs were far more accepted by referees and the FIFA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom