1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by BirraImperial, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Spain get a goal that Costa more or less stumbled into scoring and Portugal also manage to edge past mighty Morocco…
    edit: freaking xposts

2. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I am wondering how much would ticket actually cost for Group level games and if have encountered black market prices for those same tickets? Also, did you get good sits? Could you see anything?

3. Sofista

Sofista Deity

But let's differentiate, Birra: Spain looks very much like Spain, that is, one of the strongest, well-rounded teams around, and struggled mainly because Iran thought only of defence. (Side note on Iran bunkering up: a moronic idea. They had three points, and a concrete chance, and just hoped that neither Spain nor CR7 would get past them? Even after Spain scored they did not seem to be keen on fighting back. Gah).
    Morocco tried, and paid for it, but can look back to a tournament where they came to play football. Uruguay is not in the same group, but it's a different case from Spain: they got three points with the minimal effort possible, but will have to step up their game in the elimination phase.

4. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Russia will most likely meet Spain or Portugal in 1/8, that's gonna be tough.

5. Verbose

Verbose Deity

It's the WC, it's supposed to be tough. You have to beat the best teams to progress.

As a Swede I'm experiencing a kind of masochistic pleasure in looking at the situation. After eliminating the Netherlands and Italy in the qualifiers, who knows? If Sweden can just tie with Germany and Mexico, then Germany is eliminated in favour of Sweden.

While Sweden goes through, likely Mexico does so as nr1 ahead of it. Which means by most probabilities Sweden then gets to play Brazil in its first match in the knock-out stage. Hooray! If so, let's try for a shockingly dull 0-0 and some Swedish stopping good luck at the penalties!

On to something like Belgium, England or Japan in the quarter final if so. After which the like of Portugal, Spain or France might turn up in a semifinal. Last time Sweden met France or Portugal, it won, so why not...?

6. Arwon

Arwon

Lol that's a bit of a rubbish penalty to call on review, but I'll take the equaliser

7. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Cheap but fair and correct imo.

8. Sofista

Sofista Deity

Verbose: you don't think it's a bit too optimistic to count on draws with Germany and Mexico? For instance, Germany will most likely come out of the gate roaring for revenge.

9. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Poor Peru... Lots of hearts broken today... They travel from Andes mountains all the way to Ural mountains for this...

10. red_elk

red_elk Deity

Go Argentina! 0-0 so far.
    I usually cheer for Holland and Argentina in football championships, this year is a bit different that instead of Holland we've got Russia.

11. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

So far so good for Croatia... Not the best Mundial for Messi...

I always cheer for underdogs..

12. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Don't cry for me Argentina.

raen likes this.
  13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Not looking good for Argentina at all (I was rooting for Croatia). Not only did they lose but the WAY they lost was brutal. If Iceland beats Nigeria tomorrow Argentina might be toast.

Iran has a legit defense, that’s how they showed up to this World Cup in the first place. Iran also knows what they’re doing. They managed to actually beat Morocco however lucky it might have been. Morocco is already out of the tournament with nothing to play for and Iran isn’t. Don’t also forget In the Spain game Iran actually had some good opportunities to score that didn’t capitalize. Especially the one they took away for barely being offsides. At least Iran still has a chance (however unlikely it may be)

14. Sofista

Sofista Deity

And I gave them little credi in hindsight: when against Spain they finally tried to advance, they actually created chances. Remember that tunnel on Pique? But right now their best chance lies in Portugal resting their best players.

Involuntary comedy moments tonight:
    - Caballero's face once he realized what a terrible mistake he'd just made; like a movie character realizing he's about to blow up.
    - Sampaoli constantly marching to and fro in his area.
    - Messi's stare into the void at the end. He's having a crisis, Argentina played in 10 most of the match (there, I said it).

In this morning newspaper I read an interview with 1978 world champion Mario Kempes. He analyzed his home team's current flaws; he said that the problem is that they have no plan B or plan C, and that plan A merely consists in: pass to Messi, cross your fingers and prey. Spot on.

caketastydelish likes this.
  15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

They are a little busy right now, crying for themselves.

16. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Everything is so slow because everyone and their dog is on teh Internet to complain.
    If I do not return, it's because somebody who heard me say IRL that Argentina did not deserve to be playing in the World Cup has located me and sent the slaughterbots warpus linked me to.

17. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

FTFY. Should Iceland win tomorrow, IMO you can bank on a draw between Croatia and Iceland the same way you can bank on one between France and Denmark. Very easy collusion to arrange, with the side on fewer points not gaining enough by dodging either prospective knockout opponent to make it worth gambling its qualification through to the next round. The classic 0-0 'I won't try if you won't try' draw is indicated in both cases.

Takhisis, I'm sorry that (to quote Fox Mulder) just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

Very much so, yes.
    All the more reason to spend the rest of the evening reading comics, listening to pirated rock'n'roll music and playing videogames.

19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Wait, you need a reason for that?

20. Takhisis

Takhisis Rum and coke.

I could've been updating my OS instead. ;)