The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

BirraImperial

Pura Vida!
My expectations for the WC....

I don't think Costa Rica is going to repeat the performance of 2014...The players have aged and most of them, with the exception of Keylor Navas, have barely seen minutes playing for their teams in Europe...
I think Brazil is going to win it all...Their team pretty much waltzed through the CONMEBOL qualifiers, which are one of the best in the World and they have a much better squad than the one from 4 years ago...Germany as World Champions are always favorites, but judging from their latest friendlies, have given me some doubts as if they can repeat in Russia 2018...France and Spain are the other contenders...Let's not forget that the huge humidity that was present 4 years ago is not going to be a factor in this World Cup, so European teams are going to be playing with some advantage...

Germany won even with the humidity working against them, then. This time wouldn’t it be even easier ?

Germany won even with the humidity working against them, then. This time wouldn’t it be even easier ?
Well, that’s true...I think no South American side has won a WC in Europe since Brazil in 1958...So the European teams certainly have that going for them...

One official assistant ref is kicked out after taking bribes from some journalist who pretended to be a FIFA-official, who recorded it. He came from Ghana.

So keep an eye on other refs for suspicious behaviour, it is played in Russia after all.

Well we made it, the hard way. This isn't the golden generation any more, it's a fairly uninspiring squad, and soccer is as niche as ever here.

But you never know, we may surprise Peru or Denmark. And the hours of the matches are a little friendlier this time.

Well we made it, the hard way. This isn't the golden generation any more, it's a fairly uninspiring squad, and soccer is as niche as ever here.

But you never know, we may surprise Peru or Denmark. And the hours of the matches are a little friendlier this time.

You are from Australia, right?

Indeed, expectations are as low as they have ever been, which might be good as they can only do better.

In the first game, my bets are safely on Russia.
If they win, I'm in money.
If they don't, I can enjoy a massive amount of Schadenfreude.
Nothing can go wrong.
:goodjob:

That's a good bet. It's not like FIFA would allow Russia to lose that match anyway. They made it pretty clear last world cup that they want to keep the home team for as long as possible.

So we were trashed by Belgium last night and played terrible...Was worse is that our coach admitted during the press conference that he doesn’t know players such as Hazard, Kane or Shaqiri...So he’s basically a bum that doesn’t know horsehocky about football...I think we’re doomed and are going to have our worst World Cup appearance ever...

Hey, at least your country qualified. United States of America (300 + million people and a rich country to afford the advantages that come with money) couldn't get in.

edit: Firing that German coach we had as a knee-reaction to just rough patch in time was really a great idea wasn't it?

Having lost to Iceland, I am not convinced that England can easily beat Tunisia.

Wonder which the locals will support?

Just watching the opening ceremony.
How does Morrissey manage to look so young?

It's almost time...The match isn't very attractive, but it's the World Cup, regardless...

Hope you enjoy the cup. I (and millions of others) would love to
see Costa Rica beat Brazil 7-1. :)

So half time in Moscow... It's been a pretty good match so far...Russia seems to be having no problem at all with Saudi Arabia, whose defense has been terrible so far...

Top Bottom