1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2018 NFL OffSeason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Okay, so it seems early...but it's NEVER too early to fire an NFL coach! So here we are.

I'm setting the over/under on NFL head coaching changes at 6.5, with New York giving McAdoo the 23 skidoo to get things off to a good start.

Word is that ownership took the temperature of the local fan base and let McAdoo go for his own safety rather than putting him on the sidelines at a Giants home game, and that Eli Manning is starting again. But does anyone expect Eli to hang in NY for what looks to be a start from scratch do-over? How much will he put up with to be the 'one team wonder' that Peyton failed to be?

Cleveland (rumor has it) is facing the facts that if they fire Hue Jackson there may not be anyone who will take the job. Unless they decide to elevate some obscure junior college coach they are gonna have to stand pat with what they have. That seems hard to believe, I mean, who really turns down an NFL head coaching gig? But they are the Browns.

Who else is on edge?

2. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

I don't keep up like you but the Suckaneers have been bad for a while, and Winston has a serious possibility of missing 6 games next season after (another) sexual assault case. O.J. Howard was underwhelming for a first round pick and the hype he got but in fairness, he was a rookie. How much all of this means for their coaching position, I'm not sure.

The Bears are in a similar position in terms of suckness. Whether Trubsiky can become the next Goff probably depends on the coaching staff, just like it did for Goff.

The Cardinals have been mediocre even before Palmer went down, although I think the reason Bruce Arians is retiring is that he just wants to.

Redskins may end up with a new regime entirely because of how they mishandled the Kirk Cousins contract. I'm really wishing Seattle could get their offensive coordinator and then we could be rid of Bevell. But that's way too optimistic of me.

Colts have been bad for a while. And while not having Andrew Luck obviously hurt, they would have probably been an average at best team even with him. And they've been like that for a while. Perhaps they could be better off with some new leadership. Everyone in AFC East except the Patriots has been bad. But they have the excuse of not having a Quarterback and being in the same division as the Patriots for their excuse of not winning division titles.

3. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Hadn't seen the 'own safety' part before, but wouldn't be shocking either.

Good chance of firing:

Indy : Simply can't see Pagano surviving. God knows he shouldn't.
    Denver : Vance Joseph is IMO in way in over his head, and could easily be gone.
    Tampa Bay : This year's regression and the stalling of Winston's development is not a good look for Keotter.

Some chance of firing:
    Jersey B : Todd Bowles has done well with a team some projected to go 0-16 but, you know, Jets.
    Washington : Dan Snyder. 'Nuff said.
    Chicago : Really depends if the team thinks Fox is the right coach to develop Trubisky.

There's usually one that is unanticipated.

A Cowboys fan I know is claiming Garret will be gone if they don't make the playoffs. I don't agree as
    IMO Garrett is Jerry's female dog and that's just as important to Jerry (or rather Al Davis possessing Jerry)
    as Ws and Ls.

Although not coaching, Haslam might well roll heads in the front office. This could cause as much rejoicing as when Sir Robin's minstrels were eaten.*

* - stole that last from a Football Outsiders' discussion of the McAdoo firing.

4. caketastydelish

Not a cowboys fan but they simply had more talent than Green Bay and lost a game they shouldn’t have purely because of poor coaching. And some very careless at that (there was more than one instance of 12 men on the field).

I know the pro bowl isn’t “totally serious” but the NFC undeniably showed up at the pro bowl with more talent than the AFC but Andy Reid is just a better coach than someone that makes those kinds of careless mistakes and other bad decisions, which also witnessed at the pro bowl. Talent wise the cowboys are an above average team with a below average coach.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. Serutan

:smug:

6. Timsup2nothin

Don't just be smug, provide a link. Or at least say who got fired.

caketastydelish likes this.
  7. Serutan

[lazy OF]But being smug requires much less effort.[/lazy OF]

8. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy Drinking with Obama

The vibe I get from Chicago radio is that Fox is going to be gone. There have been some terrible game decisions, and for the first time in over 20 years the Bears go up against the Packers without facing Favre or Rogers.....and they lose.

Many will (again) call for a new defensive coordinator for the Packers. While he was great for the first couple of seasons, the next 7 seasons have been mediocre at best. "Sometimes a new voice is needed".

9. caketastydelish

Seahawks are almost certainly getting a new offensive lineman head coach. It is sickening at this point if they don't. Beyond being terrible at the actual job, Tom Cable has a history of being a wife beater (I didn't know this) what has he done to deserve this job? Bevell hasn't been that great either. Not as urgent as Cable but I'd honestly like to see him go as well. I'm hoping we could get the current Redskins, offensive coordinator. I'm predicting a total regime collapse over there (fallout from Kirk Cousins leaving which I'm also sure will happen) and maybe that guy would look for a new job, and we could get it. Of course, that's pretty optimistic of me. I also wouldn't mind seeing Chip Kelly as our offensive coordinator (that's a job he can actually handle) but I don't think he'll join as he's already a college coach.

10. Timsup2nothin

So, with black Monday looming I'm taking the over on my 6.5 O/U line. McAdoo is out. Looks like nothing can save Fox in Chicago, Lewis in Cincy, Caldwell in Detroit, or Pagano in Indy so five is a lock. Even with Tampa announcing that Koetter will be welcomed back there are just too many possible to think that two more won't be going. Arians retiring in Arizona seems almost a lock, and the volatility of ownership in Washington, Cleveland, Denver and Oakland should produce at least one more. Plus Bill O'Brian in Houston is apparently already being considered for the Giants job and is getting some mentions just about everywhere else there's a likely opening so if the Texans press him he's not likely to bow and scrape to keep his job there.

Best (hypothetically) open job, so the one that has to be filled before anyone else can land a top candidate? I'd say Detroit. Rumor has it that Oakland would part ways with Jack Del Rio if they got a commitment from Jon Gruden, and that would be a better job than Detroit, but if it is only open for Gruden it doesn't really count as open...especially since that commitment ain't coming. Cincinnati is an interesting possibility as well, but getting in a division with Pittsburgh and Baltimore seems like too much immediate downside.

11. Serutan

Del Rio is officially out, and the bobbleheads also believe that Davis would not have done that without
    some sort of verbal agreement with Gruden.

The Chuckster is out too. He seems to be a good human being, but when the Colts never make halftime
    adjustments, it's just not a good look.

12. Serutan

Strictly speaking, Lewis doesn't count as a firing as his contract expired. But it is nonetheless an opening.

13. Timsup2nothin

Given Gruden's history of screwing the Raiders it wouldn't be surprising if the 'verbal agreement' doesn't hold water.

14. rah

rah Chieftain Supporter

Thank god FOX is finally gone. You'd think a coach with that much experience would actually make good decisions in game.
    Hopefully they'll find an offensive minded coach that can actually develop a quarterback. It will be tough since it won't be considered a plum job.

15. Timsup2nothin

It's not the best, but it sure ain't the worst. I'd expect it to be easier to fill than Indy with the uncertainty of Luck's health and the idiocy of ownership or the Giants job, which is riding the Eli ship into a darkening sunset. And the Arizona job is a complete ground zero rebuild.

I don't think Fox was all that bad, considering the roster he had to work with. He's not the best guy for developing the young QB though. I'd guess Chicago has the inside track on John DeFilippo.

16. Serutan

So Lewis signs a new 2 year deal with Cincy. It's hard to escape the feeling that his 'use by' date has
    long since expired.

17. Timsup2nothin

Maybe. But the Bengals were awful...like Cleveland level awful...for a long time. They went round and round and round on the coaching/GM carousel and got nowhere, until Lewis came along. He didn't turn them into a dynasty, but they have certainly been respectable, which makes the thought of getting back in the spin cycle not really attractive. I'm not sure I wouldn't be inclined to give him a chance to get back out of the pit.

Besides, it's better for him to be on the hot seat while they decide whether Dalton is really what they hoped or if they need to move on there as well. A new coach needs to know either that they have a QB or they are going to be asked to groom one. The hiring process is hard when the QB is a question mark.

18. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

Andy Dalton is highly unlikely to markedly improve at this point in his career. He's a middling QB who's capable of giving you above average performance with a sufficiently talented supporting cast. It's also highly unlikely that anyone they draft would be much better.

Lewis made the playoffs several seasons in a row, with a roster made up completely of draft picks and other team's cast offs, for one of the worst owners in the league. He's also been in a division which requires that he plays BAL and PIT twice per season. Lewis is a fine coach, and most of what troubled Cinci this season could be fixed by getting a better offensive coordinator.

19. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

So I'm curious what exactly the Seahawks should/will do. They have a good young QB but the roster is suddenly a mess otherwise.

On defense, Richard Sherman blew out his Achillies and there was talk of him being out of Seattle even before that. Michael Bennett says he's not sure they're going to keep him around next year. Both Kam Chancellor and Cliff Avril may never play again due to neck injuries according to Pete Carroll.

On offense, they went from pounding it with Marshawn Lynch to having one of the worst seasons for a running back stable in history (I really need to find that article again). Jimmy Graham is basically gone and he's been bad anyway. Had a streak of red zone touchdowns but he was awful otherwise and still can't run-block for squat. Radio show here on Sunday had a Seahawks beat guy on and he called Jimmy "worthless between the 20 yard lines".

It's rough doing an overhaul and wasting prime years of your 29 year old QB but yeesh.

20. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

It's probably time to let the D regress a little (or a lot) and focus on building a championship caliber offense. Since they've already got the QB they are more than halfway home. Upgrading the OL the offensive skill positions should be their top priority, imo, and build a cheap defense just good enough to keep the score down. Getting a better OC might help too. The paltry production they got out of a player of Graham's caliber is borderline criminal.