The 2018 NFL OffSeason Thread

Don't think so, unless there's a surprise cut which at this point seems highly unlikely.

So, Jets are absolutely desperate to draft...or trade for Foles. Those seem to be the only sources left and they can't go into next season starting Josh McClown.

Why? They have Teddy Bridgewater.

Were you experiencing some Jetlag by any chance?

Baaaarrrrump-bump-tisss!

In other news, Chicago signed Trey Burton (of passing to Foles for a Superbowl TD fame), to the tune of $38M. Does anyone have any thoughts on this price tag? It seemed high to me but then again that would be the 49ers pot-of-gold to Garropolo calling the Bears kettle-o-gold black...

Depends on how it's structured. IIRC the Niners can get out of the Garappolo contract after a couple of years with little cap consequence.

Colts traded down 3 spots to the Jets and end up with 2 more second round picks for this year, and 1 more for next year. That means Andrew Luck is surely healthy and with this kind of talent, the Colts can draft, won't be the same team as last year. Jesus, the AFC South will be such a bloodbath.

Last edited:
As stacked as the NFC is this year, I don’t see anyone stopping the Rams. Have you seen what they’ve done in free agency? And there are talks that they might get OBJ. This is like, NFL equavilent of Golden State. The greatest show on turf 2.0 ?

As stacked as the NFC is this year, I don’t see anyone stopping the Rams. Have you seen what they’ve done in free agency? And there are talks that they might get OBJ. This is like, NFL equavilent of Golden State. The greatest show on turf 2.0 ?
That's a mistake right there if they do... Odell seems like team morale/locker room toxin. He's too much of a crybaby and ballhog. Surely they can find a decent receiver elsewhere?

He's also looking to get paid and I doubt the Rams have the cap space to give him the contract he's looking for. He's definitely not the sort of dude I'd want on a one year rental because if he's not happy you probably won't get his best effort.

The Rams didn't seem like they needed much help on offense. Post free agency they don't seem to need any help on defense either. Quick, you aspiring offensive coordinators, who do you double team, Aaron Donald or Ndomukong Suh...keeping in mind that either way you leave both your tackles on their own against quality outside pass rushers. No worries though, just throw quick release no look passes at Marcus Peters or Aqib Talib...that sounds like it will work out really well.

I predict that Garoppolo will be having nostalgic thoughts about the safety of the New England bench.

How do you think Wilson will feel behind one of the worst O-lines in the league? Assuming we don’t really step it up. And we haven’t even had the actual draft yet. Where the rams can get even more weapons. The Rams are will probably be disgusting on both sides of the ball.

I figure the Rams are at a point where they will just be drafting for depth They have late picks and I don't see them getting anyone who can crack their starting lineup.

Have the Seahawks really not done anything yet to address their offensive line? That seems like criminal malpractice. I mean, last season their best offensive lineman was Russell Wilson's shoes. How could they have not addressed that, given the pass rushes that have to be faced to be a contender in the NFC? If you want to claim you are a playoff team in the NFC and you have a weak O-line the Rams, Eagles, and Vikings are all just going to laugh at you.

The market for OL right now is almost as crazy that for QBs. Some really poor players, like Matt Kalil, got paid last offseason. Between Russ and the defense I doubt Seattle has the cap space to address the OL through free agency so the only hope is to get lucky with some draft picks.

The market for OL right now is almost as crazy that for QBs. Some really poor players, like Matt Kalil, got paid last offseason. Between Russ and the defense I doubt Seattle has the cap space to address the OL through free agency so the only hope is to get lucky with some draft picks.

What's with their cap? Anyone on the defense that demanded money they just let them go. How can the defense be eating up all their cap?

When players are released/traded the team that let them go is generally responsible for any bonuses remaining to be paid, and all of it counts against the current year's cap even if their original contract spread that bonus money over several years, so you usually end up taking a hit the first season they are gone. The Seahawks currently have ~$14 million in dead money counting against their cap this season. Half of that is due to Sherman and Bennett. Russell has a cap hit of ~$24 million this season and they still have both Chancelor and Thomas at a hit of $10 million each which is very expensive for safeties. Wagner's cap number is $14 million.

TL;DR Seattle has ~$14 million in available cap space, before signing draft picks, and mediocre OL are commanding contracts with cap hits in the $8-$10 million range. Free agency simply isn't an option for them.

My bad. Why did I think Sherman just walked as a free agent? I wasn't thinking they had released him...maybe because that seems pretty dumb.

Top Bottom