1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2018 NFL OffSeason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Timsup2nothin, Dec 4, 2017.

1. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Their offense is no joke either.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  2. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Yeah. That's a big part of this. With the pass rush they are putting together if their offense takes away your run game by hanging a lot of points on you the situation could turn very very bad in a hurry. As an Eagles fan I am concerned. If I were a fan of a division rival I would be very concerned. As a local LA guy I'm excited for them.

caketastydelish likes this.
  3. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

What’s scary is we haven’t even got to the actual draft yet. The mock draft conensus is they’ll pick up two more pass rushers with their first two picks, this way they can rotate and last 4 quarters, as you talked about before. I’m trying to think of an AFC team that strong, but none come to mind. The Texans could be amazing If Deshaun Watson returns to his former form and if J.J. Watt can also stay healthy.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

For teams like the Rams, who don't even start until the top 25 or so are off the board, the draft isn't a world shaker. Teams that make the playoffs either have to trade up or accept that they are drafting for depth, not starters. The Rams definitely look like they are ready to draft for depth. Even if they had a top ten pick I'm not sure they could draft someone that could crack their starting lineup.

The NFC playoffs are going to be magic next season. Rams, Eagles, and Vikings look like they might be the strongest trio of teams in a conference for a long, long time. I remember plenty of epic two team battles for supremacy...Colts/Patriots, Niners/Cowboys back in the day...but I'm hard pressed to think of a three way battle with such solid contenders. Plus whoever comes out of the south is going to be battle hardened to the highest degree, and might once again be dragging both wild cards along for the party. Epic...and yeah, the AFC seems to be sliding further behind.

Until Brady goes off a cliff the Patriots are going to contend, and the Steelers are always tough. Jacksonville has some seasoning on their strong young roster and yeah, IF Watson comes back magical AND Watt can stay healthy then maybe the Texans will meet their long held expectations and make some noise. But seriously, the AFC is likely to be described at the halfway pole as 'this team is far and away the cream of the AFC crop and odds on to make the super bowl, where they look likely to get thrashed badly by whoever the NFC puts up.

5. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

Per CBS, the Raiders release Marquette King. It's obvious Gruden is the real GM now.

6. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Brady's problem is that for some (many?) people he's never going to be the GOAT, due to the tarnishes on his reputation by things like deflategate. Not saying that's justified but there will always be people that will label him a cheater. I doubt he cares about other peoples opinions though...

7. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd Rest in Peace Black Panther

That's the Seahawks problem... more specifically, Russell Wilson's problem. He's the one who can get cheap-shot'ed by Suh with no repercussions, cause he's a "Running Quarterback"... Suh tries any of his usual antics with Golden Garappolo, the 100-million-dollar-man... he'll be staring down the business end of a suspension-plus-heavy fine... and Suh is fully aware of this, so I expect he'll be on his best behavior. I guess Jimmy G benefits from this funny notion that QB's are these shrinking-violet-pillow-princesses, while the D-Line is a bunch of ferocious snarling hell-demons... Quarterbacks are football players. They can take the hits or they wouldn't be out there. Jimmy G is 6'2", 225. He's a big boy, he'll be fine.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

:wavey:

Deflategate personally, along with benefiting less directly from all of Billy Bellyache's other sojourns onto the wrong side of the rules. Lying his butt off about the tuck rule game. Definitely a long enough list for pretty much everyone but Patriot fans to say no GOAT, and Patriot fans have already been saying it for years so there's nothing more to prove to them.

9. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I expect the Packers to be about as good as the Saints were last year. In that I expect their defense to finally be solid. Some people are saying the Bears could be much better because of Trubisky having a second season similar to Goff. And the Bears have a solid defense and running game, so it's not out of the question. It's hard to know how the Lions will be because they have a regime change, which is always hard to predict.

The Cowboys could have a better win/loss ratio because Ezekiel Elliot won't be gone for 6 games. The Giants might, depending on who they draft. And if the new coach is better than the old (almost a guarantee). The 49ers appear to have gotten their act together and the Bucs were mostly only bad because of Winston's shoulder injury, and with their good draft position they can patch up more problems anyway.

As to the AFC: Chargers have a good squad talent wise, their only problem last year was stopping the run, something they can address in the draft. The Chiefs might be, depending on how good Mahomes is. AFC South will probably be the best division in the AFC. Other than that the typical culprits (Steelers, Patriots).

10. Sommerswerd

My excuse for years in denying him GOAT status is that Montana never lost a Superbowl and never threw an INT in a Superbowl. So Brady can never achieve that no matter how many rings he wins.

If it ain't broke :p
    I agree that the Cowboys improve, the Bears... I don't know. I'm thinking the AFC West is the strongest, because the Texans seem to have some sort of hoodoo on them for QBs. As far as the Colts... Luck being a savior seems at least as likely as Garoppolo doing the same, I guess, assuming he comes back at full strength... but Luck actually returning and being at peak performance still seems like a squishy proposition, which might be why McDaniels shockingly backed out at the last minute to go back to holding a clipboard for Belichick. The other lingering doubt I have is that they had an 8-8 season when he was last healthy. I wonder if this is an RG3 situation where his body is broken, he'll never be the same and that's just all there is to it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  11. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Why AFC West? Broncos remain terrible. Raiders just had a very mediocre season. Chargers look promising but the organization has been mediocre for a long time. Chiefs are too unpredictable. Will Mahomes live up to expectations? Will their defense not faulter like last year? The chiefs might be the strongest AFC West team.

Compare to AFC south. The Titans don’t have many weaknesses left. Especially after free agency. The jaguars we all know are solid. The Texans will probably be formidable (key players coming back from injuries, honey badger joining their secondary). The Colts might be no joke either. They will either get Barkley, Chubb, or that top offensive lineman (forget his name). I wouldn’t be surprised if every team in AFC south goes at least 8-8.

12. Sommerswerd

You're just assuming the best for all the AFC South teams and assuming the worst for the AFC West ones. The West did a little better than the South this season. Broncos > Colts, you're just assuming Luck comes back and is in top form... which... we'll see. Raiders > Texans, and the Raiders don't have any QB curse on them. Chargers = Titans. I dont see any reason to assume that either will break out of mediocrity and certainly not one moreso than the other. Same with the last two teams. The Chiefs are just as solid as the Jags and they are one of the most predictable teams in the NFL, especially with Andy Reid coaching them... which reminds me to poke @Timsup2nothin that now that the Eagles finally have their chip, there is no redeeming ol' Andy.;)

Anyway Chiefs=Jags. The difference is that the Chiefs seem to tend to play up (or down) to their competition, whereas the Jags seem to skunk the bums, squeak by the mediocre, and lose to the quality teams.

13. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The Texans have more weapons than the Raiders on both sides of the ball. The Colts have a superior offense and a defense that isn’t aging and gradually losing pieces. Actually their defense will probably get better. The Jags just came off An amazing season and they don’t have many weaknesses. The Jags had a better season than the Chiefs. The Chiefs will probably be better, to be fair. Depends on how good Mahomes is. The titans acquired more weapons in free agency (especially Malcolm Butler) and they have a genuine home field advantage.

14. Sommerswerd

The Jags were 10-6. Let's not get carried away with ourselves here. The Jags season was only "amazing" for the Jags... because of how bad they've sucked in the recent past. If the Browns for example went 8-8 that would be "amazing".

Yes they beat Seattle (as I warned you they would), but that doesn't make them amazing, it just illustrates that Seattle is mediocre, as I've told you all season. You might have been amazed that they beat Sea but I wasn't. By way of contrast, the Jags got spanked by the 49ers... So again... let's not be so hasty to crown them just yet.

15. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

The Jags went to the AFC championship game and only lost to the Pats because of the refs. It’s hard to not call them amazing.

16. stinkubus

stinkubus Emperor

The Jags O is very pedestrian. Exercising Bortles' fifth year option was a pretty big mistake. They should've made a play for Tyrod.

17. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Meh. I think their play is to draft a quarterback. They don't have major holes to fill, and there's a lot of quarterback depth in this draft. A high draft pick has a better chance of displacing Bortles than Tyrod Taylor has. Taylor and Bortles are a six o' one, half dozen o' the other call. But, yeah, in general their offense is very pedestrian and the governor holding down the pace is definitely the quarterback play.

All in all I just can't support the idea that the AFC south is going to be the heart of AFC competition. On offense the Raiders have all the pieces, and they have added a bunch of solid workmen on defense. One high pick added to the secondary and they should be solid. The Chiefs are an Andy Reid team, so they are always going to be in the hunt. The Chargers are looking for a last hurrah from Philip Rivers and are likely to get it. The only question in the division is whether Case Keenum with most likely yet another high first round draft pick breathing down his neck can pull the Broncos into contention, given that said high first round pick would be better spent filling one of many holes rather than on a "quarterback of the future."

On the other hand, the Jags aren't going to sneak up on anyone this year, and their offense is pedestrian. The Texans are counting on an athletic quarterback coming off the kind of injury that turns athletic quarterbacks into pocket passers or (more often) bench warming journeymen. Tennessee is solid enough, but not particularly scary, and in my opinion the Colts just aren't very good and no amount of Luck can offset that. Gotta go with the west as a better division top to bottom. And speaking of bottoms, with all the moves the Browns have made and ammunition they still have they might pull the basement up substantially in the AFC north, and with the Steelers and the Ravens setting the ceiling pretty high I might give that division the nod over the south as well.

18. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I take back any opinions I might have had about the Chiefs not being good/great after remembering . Sommeswerd, you definitely would enjoy watching it.

19. Sommerswerd

Goodell & Co must've snatched that video down as soon as you posted it, because it didn't play for me.

But that game is a perfect example of what I was saying. Alex Smith had an amazing game against the Pats to open the season, but Alex Smith is not "amazing", nor did he have an "amazing season". He may have arguably had a pretty good season for Alex Smith, but that's different. The Jags had a great playoff run, again, for the Jags, but their season was just OK. Great, amazing even for the Jags, but that's different from giving them an unqualified "amazing".

As for blaming the refs for the Pats winning... meh... it all evened out in the end. I've said it before... the refs giveth, and the refs taketh away... let the blaming of the refs continue to be hand-waived.

20. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

It works. But you have to watch it on YouTube, not CFC.