The 2018 NFL OffSeason Thread

They need a defensive coordinator who knows how to scheme less than perfect players into the best chance to be successful. A simple defensive scheme executed perfectly is great as long as you have the players, but they need to face the reality that they don't have the players for it any more, and aren't going to have the players again in any foreseeable future. So a good DC with the authority to overrule Pete Carroll.

On offense they need to build a pass first with complimentary running game instead of pretending that they are a powerhouse defense first power running team. They are going to be in too many shootouts to play the wear them down with three yards and a cloud of dust style that worked when they had the defense for it and Lynch to carry the freight. So, again, they need a good coordinator with the authority to overrule Pete Carroll.

Bottom line, problem might be Pete Carroll.

So I was listening to Chicago radio pretty much ALL day today (unfortunately), and the Bears are interviewing both the Viking defensive coordinator and the Viking offensive coordinator for the head coaching job. The commentator is worried if the Bears Defensive coordinator isn't offered the job he might just go work in Green Bay since the packers are looking for a defensive coordinator. And if the Bears lose their DC, the consensus is they will be last in the division for the next two years at least.....and that will result in another round of firings for the Bears......

John DeFilippo that was mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't know who said it, but it was said he will most certainly 'win' the interview part of the process, but some feel he's just not ready yet for a head coaching job (1-2 years away) over concerns of his networking ability to get staff to work for him.

This may have been last week I heard this, but one caller suggested raiding the packers front office and stealing away Eliot Wolf (for a GM job). :crazyeye:
But after research, I see other teams have tried it before (49ers and Lions) in years past.

Yeah I don't know how they can let Vic Fangio go, that guy is a stud and frankly he deserves a shot at being a head coach after being in the league for over 30 years. But the Bears have not been well-run at the top as of late so :dunno:

Besides, it's better for him to be on the hot seat while they decide whether Dalton is really what they hoped or if they need to move on there as well. A new coach needs to know either that they have a QB or they are going to be asked to groom one. The hiring process is hard when the QB is a question mark.

Eminently sensible, but is Mike Brown that smart?

Yeah I don't know how they can let Vic Fangio go, that guy is a stud and frankly he deserves a shot at being a head coach after being in the league for over 30 years. But the Bears have not been well-run at the top as of late so :dunno:

True, but if memory serves coordinators from old staffs are almost
never retained by a new coach when the old one was fired.

Both CBS and ESPN are announcing that Gruden is signing up with the Raiders for 10 years, $100M,
apparently no ownership. A particularly big chunk of change considering Mark Davis is already up
to his anal sphincter muscle in debt. My interpretation of the CBS articles is that Reggie McKenzie will
stay on to manage the cap (and likely {walk/not be asked to re-up} when his contract expires), and a
Gruden appointee will be put in charge of personnel acquisition. I think it very unlikely this ends well in
the long run.

Yeah, that's absolutely insane especially considering coach contracts are (almost?) always fully guaranteed so he'll see every cent of that $100 mil even if they fire him a few years in.

Also, All-Pro selections announced, Kamara made 2nd-team and Cam Jordan made 1st-team All Pro at Defensive End which is awesome. He's been a monster for a few years now but our defense has been atrocious so he understandably hadn't gotten a lot of attention. Might be the best overall DE in the league right now.

Ten million a year is absolutely the minimum to pry him away from ESPN. That contract has to be loaded in such a way as to make Gruden feel fireproof, which isn't a bad thing. The Raiders need stability, and ownership provides none. I wouldn't be surprised if Gruden agrees to keep McKenzie in place. He has put together a pretty good roster, especially considering the feces fest that he took over when he got there.

Yeah, I think Reggie deserves to stick around. First, he got them out of the cap hell Al Davis put them in, where their 2013 cap was something STUPID like 40% dead money after purging Al's awful contracts. Then he signed a ton of decent veterans to 1-2 year deals to make them not be a complete laughing stock while they replenished the roster. Now they're actually a pretty good team, this was just a terrible year and I think coaching, particularly on defense had a lot to do with it. Biggest problem is at middle linebacker, basically every place I've read/Raiders person I've seen talk about it says their MLB situation is a dumpster fire.

I think dead money was still 30% the next year which really shows where Al had gotten them.

And the Arizona job is a complete ground zero rebuild.

This isn't true when at least one side of the ball is as solid as it is. The Cardinals were an 8 and 8 team in a stacked division and without Carson Palmer for most of the season. They undeniably have work to do but I can name plenty of teams in a worse position than that. They will probably spend their first round pick getting what they hope will be Larry Fitzgerald's replacement or Carson Palmer's replacement. They can spend the next few draft's/free agency heavily investing in the offensive side of the ball. The Cardinal's main problem is they're in NFC West where it's possible next season every single team has a winning season.

They need a defensive coordinator who knows how to scheme less than perfect players into the best chance to be successful. A simple defensive scheme executed perfectly is great as long as you have the players, but they need to face the reality that they don't have the players for it any more, and aren't going to have the players again in any foreseeable future. So a good DC with the authority to overrule Pete Carroll.

On offense they need to build a pass first with complimentary running game instead of pretending that they are a powerhouse defense first power running team. They are going to be in too many shootouts to play the wear them down with three yards and a cloud of dust style that worked when they had the defense for it and Lynch to carry the freight. So, again, they need a good coordinator with the authority to overrule Pete Carroll.

Bottom line, problem might be Pete Carroll.

The Seahawks lost exactly 3 games this year due to missed field goal attempts, and I'm like 99% sure they'll move on from the Blair Walsh experiment. Had those three games been won (or even 2 of 3) we'd be in the playoffs.

The defense hasn't been the same and injuries haven't helped. I expect/hope their first-round pick to replace one of three players (Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor). Even if we are able to keep all 3 of them (far from a guarantee) they are all getting older and it won't be the same moving forward, and they are more and more injury prone as well. Malik Mcdowell was supposed to be almost as good as Myles Garrett other than his off the field issues, which have definitely been a problem, but supposing they're fixed next year (and he becomes healthy) that could really help our defense as well. I'm almost positive we get a new offensive line coach. There's absolutely no reason to keep Tom Cable at this point. He's done nothing to deserve it. Mike Davis has been a solid answer at running back and so has Chris Carson, will be back from injury for next year. Our running game is solid, our QB is definitely solid, our wide receivers, if we can keep them, are solid, and our offensive line could be better with a different coach. Our defense is not what it was but injecting some fresh blood from the draft, particularly into the secondary would make a huge difference. Our front 4 is stacked (even with Cliff Avril gone and potentially M. Bennette as well) and our middle linebackers have been good. Bobby Wagner has been a beast, and K.J. Wright has been above average. Losing so much of our secondary to injuries is what killed us and hopefully, we're smart enough to prioritize that in the draft. Sucks that we won't get a second-round pick, though. I remain confident enough in Carroll (when it comes to drafting defense, even in recent years) that a first and third round pick to replenish our secondary could make the difference we're looking for.

Most of all, firing Pete Carroll would be incredibly stupid. You know it's not going to happen, it shouldn't even be in the discussion. I can name plenty of teams who are worse than we are, even including the disaster that was Blair Walsh.

Most of all, firing Pete Carroll would be incredibly stupid. You know it's not going to happen, it shouldn't even be in the discussion. I can name plenty of teams who are worse than we are, even including the disaster that was Blair Walsh.

I didn't say fire him. I said they need to hire coordinators and give them the authority to institute their schemes, rather than the nod and smile, play it Pete's way style coordinators they have had. They don't have the personnel for Pete's way any more, and they aren't going to.

Seahawks fire Bevell. I’m content with this. Hopefully, they do the same with Tom Cable.

edit: And now it's been confirmed that Cable is also gone. We got rid of that pathetic excuse for an offensive line coach and a literal wife beater. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
edit: And now it's been confirmed that Cable is also gone. We got rid of that pathetic excuse for an offensive line coach and a literal wife beater. I couldn't be happier.

Well, Cable didn't exactly have the Hogs to work with - I've always thought the O line was mostly on Schneider. Getting a human
being upgrade shouldn't be difficult, though.

Schneider has been incredible and the last position we need to fire.

And Pittsburg lets Haley's contract expire. Guess he and Ben really didn't get along.

Okay, that's a quality human being right there.

Top Bottom