1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The 24 New Great People

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AaronTBD, Nov 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Luxerne

Luxerne Warlord

On another note, I'd really appreciate it if the unit icons for great people at least reflected the gender and ethnicity of the GP instead of just being male and whatever skin color your civ's generic units have. Even better would be using the actual unit models as the icon.

2. HiRezAudio

HiRezAudio Prince

I like this idea a lot!
    Currently I tend to build Archaeological Museums a lot more than art ones simply because it is much easier to theme them.....

Oh, please - for the love of God - NO!!
    The game is already lefty enough with all the CO2 floods the world nonsense, so lets NOT bring racial or identity politics into it.

Why would Imhotep be Medieval? I agree fully that given IZ are a Medieval era tech (with the exception of the Gauls) it seems likely, but maybe there is another change coming to Egypt?
    We will have too wait & see I guess but it does seem absolutely bonkers including him.....

3. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

I think it's very woke that firaxis has transracial and transexual great people.

4. HiRezAudio

HiRezAudio Prince

Such as?
    How can anyone be transracial, ffs, and what people do in their private lives should be utterly irrelevant and (most importantly) left private.....the rest of us don't care what they do as long as they stop ramming it down our throats.

5. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

It's a joke. They only have one model for budget reasons. Calm down.

Kjimmet, AntSou and Myomoto like this.
  6. HiRezAudio

HiRezAudio Prince

Phew!!
    You got me well & truly there - good one!

Galvatron likes this.
  7. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Warlord

There are a couple cases in the new pack that I think we've addressed (don't want to name names because you've still got a few hours to go). But is there anyone that you're seeing in earlier game releases that are mixed up? Anyone in particular who leaps out at you? Or am I confusing here the icon in the lower-right with the unit? That seems to be a harder fix, but, yeah, I get how it's dumb to recruit Hypatia and then have some beardy guy there.

If you'll notice, the Vampire units have a kind of a dual icon in the lower right; the units themselves are not gendered, and the random name thing gives you both male and female names that might or might not match up with the unit's body.

8. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

On this note, I noticed that individual vampires will be randomly assigned a gender upon loading a save file. My Elizabeth Bathory, recruited as a woman, turned into a man upon loading, for instance. Has this been noted and addressed?

Myomoto likes this.
  9. Luxerne

Luxerne Warlord

Oh, yeah, I was referring to the icon in the lower-right. Always thought it was weird to go and recruit Jane Austen and have her icon be a bearded man, and how the writers, artists, and musicians all share the same icon. I think something like the Vampire unit icon would work well for great people.

10. Luxerne

Luxerne Warlord

The press release doesn't state which era each person is from, and doesn't include the full abilities of some GP, so I'll be posting those here once my game finishes updating and I can check the files... stay tuned.

EDIT:

Trung Trac (Classical General): Permanently reduces War Weariness by 25%
    Dandara (Industrial General): 2 charges, Grants a Warrior Monk with 1 promotion
    Tupac Amaru (Modern General): Grants a Musketman in each of the target city's indefensible and undefended districts.

Hanno the Navigator (Classical Admiral): Grants a naval melee unit with +2 movement.
    Himerios (Medieval Admiral): Grants 1 promotion level and +25% combat experience to a military naval unit
    Matthew Perry (Modern Admiral): Grants enough Envoys to become Suzerain at this city-state, then removes all other players' Envoys.

Imhotep (Medieval Engineer): 2 charges, grants 175 production towards wonder construction, doubled if the wonder is from the Ancient or Classical era.
    Shah Jahan: (Modern Engineer): Grants production towards wonder construction, capped at half of your current treasury, then reduces your gold twice the amount of purchased production.
    Kenzo Tange (Information Engineer): Grants Tourism in each of this city's districts equal to its adjacency bonus (halved for gold).

Ibn Fadlan (Medieval Merchant): Increases trade route capacity by 1. Your trade routes to city-states now grant you +2 Faith.
    Zhou Daguan (Renaissance Merchant): Grants 3 envoys at this city-state.
    Stamford Raffles (Modern Merchant): Absorbs this city-state into your empire. Grants you +10 loyalty per turn in the city.

Zhang Heng (Classical Scientist): Triggers eureka for Celestial Navigation, Mathematics, and Engineering. If they are already triggered, instead completes the tech.
    Ibn Khaldun (Renaissance Scientist): Chosen campus gains 2 housing and 1 amenity. Increases non-food yield benefits of happiness in your empire by 40%.
    Margaret Mead (Atomic Scientist): 1000 Science and Culture.

Valmiki (Classical Writer): The Ramayana, Yoga Vasistha
    Rumi (Medieval Writer): Divani Shamsi Tabriz, Masnavi
    Beatrix Potter (Modern Writer): The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Tailor of Gloucester
    Gabriela Mistral (Information Writer): Lecturas para mujeres (Books for Women), Sonetos de la Muerte (Sonnets of Death)

Kamal Ud-din Behzad (Renaissance Artist): Battleground of Tumir and Egyptian King (Landscape), Yusef and Zuleykha (Landscape), Timur Granting Audience on the Occasion of His Ascension (Portrait)
    Hasegawa Tohaku (Industrial Artist): Pine Trees (Landscape), Maple Tree (Landscape), Birds and Flowers (Landscape)
    Wassily Kandinsky (Information Artist): Composition 8 (Landscape), Blue Rider (Portrait), Red Square (Landscape)

Dimitrie Cantemir (Industrial Musician): Pesrev Adjem Yegiahi, Prince of Moldavia, Uzzusule Beresvan
    Scott Joplin (Modern Musician): The Entertainer, Maple Leaf Rag, The Easy Winners

So, the two new musicians have three great works??

EDIT 2: I found unused files for Bela Bartok as a third musician for the pack...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  11. Galvatron

Galvatron Warlord

Isn't she a Klingon?

12. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Warlord

Dang that looks super powerful for Scotland!

kryat and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  13. onepurpose

onepurpose Chieftain

Kinda pretty list and good abilities... specially the ones related to CSs

Despite of the inclusion of some rather obscure characters.. Tupac Amaru? Dandara? really? if you need an industrial great general.. there is a plenty of them to choose .. Helmuth Von Moltke or Robert. E. Lee do cover countries / areas not represented in this GP roost.. even El Mahdi to follow Firexis' obsession with anti-colonial insurgents

14. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Tupac Amaru was hardly insignificant, though I might have preferred his father Manco Inca Yupanqui.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  15. Luxerne

Luxerne Warlord

So, I started up a campaign as Russia to check the new great people, and I can confirm that yes, those two new musicians, Cantemir and Joplin, do indeed produce three great works.

Other cool things: Margaret Mead requires being at a foreign campus to be activated, and yes, we can finally theme Landscapes and Portraits during the industrial era... now we just need an early sculptor. Cantemir's unit model actually looks different from the other musicians (see first picture), with his old hat and instrument (as opposed to the other GM, which look like orchestra conductors), which is cool.

One big disappointment, though, is that the new artworks don't have proper thumbnails for the gallery view, so they look totally out of place among the other artists... I really hope this is fixed, or modded (see second picture).
    cantemir.jpg artgallery.jpg

16. onepurpose

onepurpose Chieftain

I did not say He was insignificant..

I just said there are many better & reconocible options .. Suvorov or Marquis de Vauban for example (the later has a pretty obvious & interesting ability )..

17. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I don't feel like every great person has to be recognizable by the majority of the audience. It's good to have some high profile names and some that will be new to people. That being said, I don't think Tupac Amaru is even that obscure.

Equilin and LoneRebel like this.
  18. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Just curious, what point are you getting at with this?

AriaLyric likes this.
  19. Minou

Minou Prince

Some of these are really neat, but they are mostly ruined by the extreme cost of Great People ahead of game era. Sadly, Great People from the Modern Era onwards might as well not exist. It's one of the worst changes made to the game, and sadly this means some really cool new GP like Raffles and Shah Jaha will never be playable.

I especially like Imhotep but why on earth is he Medieval instead of CLassical? By the time you get to him, it seems pretty unlikely any worthwhile Ancient or Classical wonders will be left.

Dandara likewise seems way too late - is anyone going to be excited about a Warrior Monk in the Industrial Era?

Myomoto and Zaarin like this.
  20. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Probably because, normally, one would only begin to gather Great Engineer Points in the Medieval Era.