1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] The 3GB Switch will change your life forever

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by MadeofMeat, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MadeofMeat

MadeofMeat Chieftain

I am a tremendous fan of Civ 4, and especially its many total conversion mods and modmods such as Fall From Heaven 2, PIE's Ancient Europe, Rhye's and Fall, and A New Dawn, to name a few. I've easily logged over a thousand hours. And I've been lurking this site since before 4 came out. Yet somehow it's not until about 20 minutes ago that I learned about the "Windows 3GB Switch". I just tried it out. My Civ4's performance on Windows 10 instantly went from the typical horrendously sluggish to lightning fast on a huge-map late-game save with the typical zillions of units.

I cannot fricking believe I went through a decade of unnecessary suffering because this information isn't well publicized.

To flip the switch, run CMD.EXE as administrator. Do do this on Windows 10 I type Windows-R, then CMD, then Enter. At the command prompt, type: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072

That's it.

If you want a technical explanation of what this is doing, look at https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...ts-and-feedback.344523/page-239#post-10569476

2. Playsoneasy

Playsoneasy Chieftain

Sorry for bumping a year-old thread, but I'd just like to ask two questions about this:

1) Is this safe (as in it won't cause any issues with the OS or any programmes I might want to run)?

2) Does this actually work? Does it improve Civ 4's performance, and make playing later eras on huge maps less time-consuming?

Thanks.