1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The 4 cities swords rush strategy

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tabarnak, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Like i promised earlier, i'm showing what are the best moves to optimize the fabulous 4 cities swords rush strategy. It will be played under these settings :

-Arabia is our civ played
    -Immortal difficulty
    -Continent all standard
    -Standard speed and map
    -No paid DLCs, only vanilla civs and Mongols
    -Quick combat, no ruins, save promos enabled

Alright, so let's check the starting position :

Spoiler :

Typical Arabian start. Desert, oasis and gold around. I settled in place after nothing else seen from warrior(see details below why i settled in place).

Capital is about to reach 2 :c5citizen:. Don't forget to do this : Just lock the food tile and click production focus. This trick adds hammers and don't slow growth for the next turn. I will do this for every other similar situations.

Spoiler :

Then i lock the sheep tile to have time to build a monument and a warrior just when capital will reach 3 :c5citizen:. Most of the time it's better to wait for 3 :c5citizen: before starting settlers. After the locking tile trick, you can usually put on default again. But here, micro is important to let the capital synchronize production with other things.

Spoiler :

Settlers production has started. I opted to work the oasis tile instead of the sheep tile because Iron working will come online after the last settler built and this let me make a bit more gold. I do this because i don't want to pre-build anything else at that point. I don't know yet if i can steal some workers(not pre-building a worker) and i don't have pottery yet. Working the sheep tile would have saved me only 1 turn of building time only. Not a big deal, because collective rule wasn't enabled yet.

Spoiler :

Land is explored, Askia is on left side and i crossed a China and Rome unit. It seems that i will settle aggressively near Askia. I can settle very close to Askia first, near the spice tile, and let the 3rd city at 4 tiles north east, on the hill, close to the ivory tile. I settle the 2nd city there because a forest is close(calendar ressource) and i can grow in 5 turns to 2 :c5citizen: before settling 3rd city. I can also work 2 mines if needed. 3rd city will produce a worker after a warrior since he's working a mine and settled on a mine too. Some forests around will also speed things up. 4th city depends where iron is, but can be right where gold mines are, east of capital.

Spoiler :

2nd city is settled, i let my units north of land to protect from barbs. I don't want to lose any turns.

Spoiler :

Since i discovered a natural wonder, i got 1 extra :c5happy:, enough to let 2nd city grow to 2 :c5citizen: before settling 3rd city. Very important in the long run. It's one big reason to build a scout even with ruins disabled. Impossible if you grow your capital at 4 :c5citizen: unless you discover 2 natural wonders in time or play lowest levels.

Spoiler :

I got a free worker from Tyre. I let this cs at war because i will want this city later and get the gem mine. When the gold is improved, i sold it to Askia immediately. I barely have time to work another gold mine right before i hit over -9 :c5unhappy:.

Spoiler :

Iron discovered in 3rd city! After iron is improved, i immediately upgraded warriors to swordmen. I'm going for Askia.

Spoiler :

Bye bye Askia, a free worker is waiting too. I will heal and going north to capture Tyre.

Spoiler :

4th policy is online, i pick Republic to grantly boost production.

Spoiler :

Every settled cities have built a library, i have 6 cities and my capital is starting the NC. Now at turn 70, i stop here because the rest of the game can be different depending of victory type. Allied Monaco, the empire is at 11 :c5happy: now. I made peace with Askia and he gave me a silver lux.

Spoiler :

Research :

Animal Husbandry, Iron working, Calendar, Writing, Masonry, Trapping, Philosophy.

Calendar before writing because i got 1 calendar ressource in 2nd city and 2 other unique calendar luxs in Askia's capital. The only lux tech you need before writing is the one that gives you more than 1 unique lux of the same tech.

Cities build order :

Capital : scout-monument-warrior-settler-settler-worker-granary-some :c5production: in a barrack waiting for writing-library-NC

2nd city : warrior-monument-library

3rd city : warrior-worker-monument-library

4th city : half monument-library

When Philo was researched, i micro'ed all cities and especially helped the slowest city to build his library in time with chopping and starvation.

Policies :

Full Liberty :

Collective rule
    Citizenship
    Republic
    Meritocracy
    Representation

Workers should be ready some turns before Meritocracy at building roads. This prevents the empire to fall into unhappiness too rapidly. Representation at the end when the empire is much larger.

Mid term options :

If you want lot of gold early, beeline currency and build markets before the golden age occurs. Build the National Treasury with a free GE from the Liberty finisher for more lulz(can be nice if you plan to mass upgrade/rush buy cheap units).

For mid-long term investments, rush Chichen Itza with the GE. This wonder is better than Notre-Dame for large empires. And you get a free engineer point per turn.

For maximum production output, beeline metal casting and pick a free GS to bulb machinery. Build Ironworks early in capital.

You can leverage other medieval rushes like beelining Steel, Machinery or Chivalry by picking the free GS and bulb one of these techs. Build workshops when rushing Machinery and Steel, build markets when rushing Chivalry before sending waves of units.

Long term options :

Beeline Education. Build 4x universities and run scientists everywhere. Try to build the HS to accelerate GS production. Build gardens and the Heroic Epic. Finally, pick the Freedom policy for mass GS production. Get Rationalism and PT, sign RAs and fly through the tech tree.

Brief resume :

-Starting position : move warrior then watch which site is best to work luxuries and :c5production: tiles around without buying too much tiles
    -Start with a scout to observe rapidly land around you. Try to find at least 1 natural wonder.
    -Build a monument then a warrior. Bring your capital at 3 :c5citizen:.
    -Start 2 settlers in capital.

If you settle on a luxury mine, you can sell lux early enough to rush buy a worker. In my example, i didn't want to settle on gold because there was not enough :c5production: tiles around and the marble tile was too much :c5gold: costly for the 3rd ring.

-2nd city should be put near a forest and a hill if possible and let him grow to 2 :c5citizen: before 3rd city is online. This city can build a worker before a library.

In my example, i built a worker from my 3rd city. 2nd city served to block Askia. So it's possible to alternate between these 2 cities the build order.

-If you find a 6 iron tile, you can add a warrior in any city and capital to make a 6 swords army. To do that, you need to settle on a luxury mine and sell it. Best done at Deity. You can add some archers too(with archery after IW).

It's possible, at lower levels than immortal, to build the GL instead of a library in capital. You need to rush buy a granary in capital to gain enough hammers to not slow down things.

You can also bring a golden age from 4th policy and constantly build warriors if by any chance you gather 12+ iron and playing a big continent map or a pangea. This allows you to upgrade tons of units.

Many other approaches can be played from this strategy.

======================================================

tommynt wrote : why not settle on luxuries? There is 2 main reasons :

1st, the land is not well suited for this approach. luxuries are not close from hills or too far from capital.

2nd, this strat is suited for a swords rush approach, followed by NC. To build the NC, you need libraries. To build libraries, you need :c5production:. To get production, you need to work citizen on :c5production: tiles. Growth need to be halted because of all this, it means that you can wait before eliminating unhappiness. Why get unhappiness when you need to stay at 2 pop? Workers can have time to improve luxuries during that transition and let cities build libraries first. When luxs are improved and libraries are done, growth can be back without a problem.

In a mp game, especially in duel games, the NC is rarely a good option. What you want is to settle on luxs to save time and let you build more cities(ICS). Some examples are shown in the multiplayer section. Thanks to KiffeLesBiffles btw.

Obviously, the approaches under sp and mp are different.

Similar posts/threads :

Nice general approach for deity level wrote by Syailendra :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11107029&postcount=19

Some nice details,(worker priorities!) wrote by peddroelm :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11104199&postcount=13

A 4 cities sword rush deity level with aggressive lux settlements made by me :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=445082

Save files added!

Attached Files:

2. Scarpa

Scarpa Prince

Thanks for this. I had tried this strategy before but was not nearly aggressive enough and squandered my early military advantage. This is a nice writeup to see how to take advantage of the strategy's strengths.

Can you explain how you went from -1 :c5unhappy: to 11 :c5happy: in the 10 turns between the last two screenshots? Looks like you probably hadn't improved the cotton or silk in Gao yet at T60, and those plus the gems from Tyre account for the 12 :c5happy:, is that correct?

Also was the first city settled from Collective Rule?

3. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Nicely done!
    My question is also about happiness, how to deal with the lack of it?
    Other than Piety and other social policies that help you deal with happiness.

4. peddroelm

peddroelm King

This could turn into great War Academy material ...

5. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

so u play sp like mpers do since 1 year?

things u can improve:

bo should be:
    (scout if ruins) monumnet - worker - (scout if not size3 yet) - settler - settler - settler
    5 > 4 --> sword (if needed) granny (mirco back to 1 more prod hill after)--> wonder
    warris in noncap cities (monument maybe in 1 or 2 right after build)

mine every hill around cap and micro prod to those hills - even buying hills if cheap is worth it - u ll produce settler in 5 turn on standard speed

wtf u use oasis instead of sheep in showcase game? mirco to production tiles when building settler should be basics

as 3rd policy u dont pick free worker but +1 hammer in each city (5 free hammers right away and u got 1 build worker to work a iron tile and u can even steel more in sp)

look out to settle (on top if possible) more luxes if possible (like the marble in showcase game)
    they offer both much needed gold and hapyness once teched

edit: best wonders for this playstyle are gl and pyras try get them after the settlers in cap - get metal casting with gl - hardteching steel (can opt to bulb with free gp from liberty but i prefer a engi there) after with gl and 5+ cities wont take too long --> continue rampage with LS

If continent is your anyway without LS just build circus and libraries in every city while cap does gl and NC after - but only needed on a cont map.
    tile improve order: Iron --> horses --> Lux --> hills (mine)

6. ShahJahanII

Your rudeness is unappreciated.

7. Scarpa

Scarpa Prince

I like tommynt's posts. He's a bit abrasive but knowledgeable. I do get the sense he's young though, mostly from his writing style.

As for this though:
    He did explain why he did it at least.

8. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

So...what was all this rant for? Everything you said i already done that. You are a weird guy for sure.

Edit : The GL have been built around turn 45. No time to build this thing i barely discovered iron working by that date.

9. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Added some infos and corrected some typos. I will retreive some old posts and will work on a big resume to finish this thread probably later tonight. I will post starting save and turn 70 save when i will get back home. Still buzy...

10. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

I am trying to help you improve and you call it a rant?
    You are a weired guy for sure.

point is: this "strat" is nothing special but just like me and 50 of other good players play since 1 year.
    But I have "perfected" it, thats why taking a worker instead of free shields is definatly no good idea and neither not to get a fast worker to boost production.

I am 30 - I am getting old - my end is near ;)
    No time for friendlies on internet - I rather get to the point - but being not friendly doesnt mean I am unfriendly? Am I?

11. ShahJahanII

There is a difference from constructive criticism and ego-fueled, arrogant, rant posts.
    Please do not derail this thread.

12. trueblue

trueblue Prince

I kinda like him!

the broken english does make me lol

cant often fault his game play though. Taba knows that via GOTM. but if i had to pick one thing then id say its always too cold and calculating.

13. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Like other said, there is some manners to follow when you want to talk to somebody and ''help'' him. You try to help me but you don't bring any extra points...:sad:. That's why it looks like a rant( i should have said trolling in fact) thread(''wtf'' is not a good thing to say). You just repeated what i've already done! If you want to help me, you should try something new and show us your tactics.

The actual gameplay is only 5 months old. The Tradition path gave some competition to the Liberty path until last patch but now last changes give Liberty the whole throne. Sad but true.

I don't demonstrating something new, i only demonstrate how to maximize this approach under a sp game. I don't care if you top mp players do this strat since 1 year. I'm awared how to win mp games don't worry for me. I keep my little secrets, like you surely do. The point is there is no threads talking about this strategy in the S&T forums.

Please stay civil tommynt if you want to keep your credibility.

14. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

tommynt is indeed a great player. He's the king of this game, but a childish and arrogant king. :king::lol:

Edit : I added save files.

15. RedRover57

RedRover57 Emperor

Question after just looking at the starting screenshot: Why not settle on the gold tile to the SE? There is a lot of desert to the W, N, and NE. It looks like there may be some better tiles to the SE (anything is better than desert). The downside is that it will take a bit longer for your cultural border to pick up the marble and third gold, but you would start with more production on the hill.

16. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Yeah the river gold hill is better in every way. I guess he wanted to show how to play with an "average" start?

17. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

That would have accelerated things a bit, but the marble tile in the 3rd ring with the obligatory to buy a desert tile at high price didn't impress me at all(plus the marble tile itself). At 3 :c5citizen:, i couldn't work 3 hill tiles(even if i deliberately didn't work the sheep tile) when i have built settlers. I would have sold the gold tile earlier, but i didn't know which civ would have been attacked. When i saw Askia's land, i knew that this guy was going to receive the deal(war break deal shot).

I didnt' know in advance what was surrounding the settler. There was only 2 mines and 1 sheep for :c5production: production after all. Processus was a bit slower but i certainly saved some :c5gold:. Maybe someone can redo this start and post better results?(i played this shot in less than 30 min, i surely did some mistakes)

I'm not sure if settling on the gold tile is a good thing for this approach and land around(few hills). This can be debated for a long time.

18. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

I went from -1 to 11 :c5happy: because i improved every luxs during that time. The cotton tile was already improved by Askia. The first city was indeed settled by the free settler.

When collective rule have been online, i switched the oasis tile for the sheep tile to accelerate settlers production.

19. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

OP updated and finished.

20. Treso

Treso Warlord

Tabarnak, I like your strategies and this post :)

I would say that this strategy was one of the most funs I ever played.