The 6th Culture Group

Civinator

Blue Lion
Supporter
It seems the culture group "None" is an own culture group with a preset use of different existing graphics in C3C. Attached is a screenshot with the German civ of the CCM biq, set to culture group "None". This can easily be done with the editor.

When the game is started you get a crash-report that demands the sound a.wav in the build folder (and so on until sound d.wav). If you add the wav-sounds a-d to the build-folder (I simply took a small ambiente sound file and renamed it), the game can be started without problems.

The capital of the "culture-none" civ had the graphics of the size 1 Asian city of era 4. Other size-1 cities had the graphic of the Smoke-Jaguar advisor "angry" of era 4. Size-2 cities of the "culture-none"-civ again had the graphics of the size 1 Asian city of era 4. Different to the guess of some civers in earlier posts, it seems, era none isn´t reserved for the barbarians. The "culture-none" test-civ was able to build all buildings that the civ was allowed to and it was treated by other civs in that test like a "normal" civ. When a barbarian was placed beside a city of the "culture-none" test-civ, he plundered the city and than disapeared as normal.

Attachments

• The 6th Culture Group.jpg
    The 6th Culture Group.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 2,283
I remember having experimenting this too, but I'm not sure it was Smoke Jaguar who appeared... in my memory it was Hiawata, but really not sure of this. I also remember the a.wav thing, it should correspond to the group's ambiance sounds at the begining of the game.

I wonder what happens when you enter the next era, does it use the same graphics or does it switch to something else.

I wondered the same and set the players setting of the "culture-none"-civ to a start in the second, the third and the 4th era.

In the second era the city graphics showed the graphics of the Asian cities era 1 (only size 1+2). In the third era the graphics of the Asian cities era 2 (only size 1+2) and in the 4th era there was a CTD after the information that I can change my government. I did this with a biq of CCM, so my be the shown graphics with other mods or normal C3C can vary.

The cityscreen of the German "culture-none"-cities showed the European popheads.

I remember having experimenting this too, but I'm not sure it was Smoke Jaguar who appeared... in my memory it was Hiawata, but really not sure of this. I also remember the a.wav thing, it should correspond to the group's ambiance sounds at the begining of the game.

but I'm not sure it was Smoke Jaguar who appeared... in my memory it was Hiawata, but really not sure of this. I also remember the a.wav thing, it should correspond to the group's ambiance sounds at the begining of the game. Moderator Action: *snip* web bug removed. Thank you for quoting this ad bot.

I remember seeing Hiawatha, too. If my memory serves me correctly, I managed to get something similar to happen by messing around in a hex editor and assigning cities to the barbarians... can't remember if I used the "Barbarians" option for ownership itself (which usually is only used for units), or whether I set it to "Civilization" and then set the Civ to Barbarians... I want to say it was the latter. I didn't experiment with it too long because of the Hiawatha leaderhead issue. I hadn't seen a CTD, but I hadn't experimented with the 4th era, either. I think I posted on CFC about it a few years back, probably in C&C, although maybe in the Interesting Screenshots thread.

Edit: Can't find it. Maybe I only saw it myself and didn't post about it.

It is interesting that you can use this with regular civs in addition to barbarians. I suppose you could try to design a 3-era scenario around this with several immensely costly capstone techs that couldn't possibly all be researched before the game ended.

(...) but I'm not sure it was Smoke Jaguar who appeared... in my memory it was Hiawata, but really not sure of this. I also remember the a.wav thing, it should correspond to the group's ambiance sounds at the begining of the game.

but I'm not sure it was Smoke Jaguar who appeared... in my memory it was Hiawata, but really not sure of this. I also remember the a.wav thing, it should correspond to the group's ambiance sounds at the begining of the game.Moderator Action: *snip* web bug removed. Thank you for quoting this ad bot.
Seems like someone's trying to quote me :D

Sorry, but I said I thought it was a bug. I've been wrong about stuff like that before, so I thought he should have a chance to prove that he's not, before I start calling moderators.

I've reported plenty stuff before, but only when I know for sure that a forum rule has been broken.

....Anyways, to get back on topic, I wonder if it might be possible to either track down some kind of Reference that would allow you to specify City graphics (i.e. rNONE.pcx/NoneWall.pcx) or take one of the hexed exe files (like the NO Raze patch or the unlimited cities patch) and HEX it further to insert a line calling up PCX files when Culture Group "None" is selected... Unfortunately, you'll still be stuck with only having 5 different groups of PopHeads (unless someone REALLY wants to go all-out), but I'm sure most people could live with that, as long as we could have 6 different types of city graphics (and possibly 6 different culture-group-specific building graphics, although that, again, might be too much to hope for, and again, I could (mostly) live with that).

As a software developer, things like this really make me wonder what kind of horribly clever code these guys wrote to handle resources.
There's also the "I don't care if it's ready - make it work, we've moved up the release date" factor. Developers & programmers don't make those decisions. ;)

Top Bottom